ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Anyone with Kaupthing or Icesave? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/719327-anyone-with-kaupthing-or-icesave.html)

Petem95 18 October 2008 11:38 AM

Anyone with Kaupthing or Icesave?

Anyone got an account with either of these?

Annoyingly I had money with both, but I'm a bit in the dark with whats going on!

With Icesave it seems we're waiting for the compensation scheme to kick in, but I've not had anything in the post letting me know whats going on?

With Kaupthing savings are being moved to ING, but have they been already, or does this mean they will be? I can get to a login screen but can't remember my login details :rolleyes:

Anyone shed any light on either of these?

coolangatta 18 October 2008 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Petem95 (Post 8206357)
Anyone got an account with either of these?

Annoyingly I had money with both, but I'm a bit in the dark with whats going on!

With Icesave it seems we're waiting for the compensation scheme to kick in, but I've not had anything in the post letting me know whats going on?

With Kaupthing savings are being moved to ING, but have they been already, or does this mean they will be? I can get to a login screen but can't remember my login details :rolleyes:

Anyone shed any light on either of these?

Kaupthing Edge savings have been moved to ING, so no problems :)

Click below

High Interest Savings Accounts - Kaupthing Edge Saving and Online Banking

Petem95 18 October 2008 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by coolangatta (Post 8206386)

Click below

High Interest Savings Accounts - Kaupthing Edge Saving and Online Banking

:D Will have to try and find that password then! Thanks!

Petem95 18 October 2008 12:12 PM

Result! Logged in and they're still paying 6.55% AER on the account as well!

Thought that would have been cut to about 4% with ING taking over the deposits!

Suresh 18 October 2008 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by coolangatta (Post 8206386)

Maybe, maybe not. :wonder:

ING's shares fell by 30% on Friday as shareholders got out fearing that ING may get bailed out by the Dutch Government this weekend ..... Fundamentally ING is a reasonably sound company, however their potential impairments on bond positions should be of concern to their investors.

HTH.

GlesgaKiss 18 October 2008 01:02 PM

You should recieve a letter over the next month regarding icesave. I wouldn't expect it straight away.

john banks 18 October 2008 01:06 PM

They said on Moneybox (R4) that Icesave fixed term bonds would also attract an interest payment when due (but no further interest payments will be made for regular accounts). I'm expecting to receive my money half way through the 1 year term, presumably it will be pro-rata.

boxst 18 October 2008 01:09 PM

I have my savings with Kaupthing and can log in and add/remove funds.

I have my mortgage and now savings with ING and they seem to be okay. I hope that the alledged bailout from the Dutch government isn't required.

Steve

coolangatta 18 October 2008 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Suresh (Post 8206473)
Maybe, maybe not. :wonder:

ING's shares fell by 30% on Friday as shareholders got out fearing that ING may get bailed out by the Dutch Government this weekend ..... Fundamentally ING is a reasonably sound company, however their potential impairments on bond positions should be of concern to their investors.

HTH.

I would say 'getting out' while being bailed out by 'Dutch Government' is an ill educated move by anyones standards!! So many headless chickens :lol1:
However; no problem, as previously stated, for savers.:)

Suresh 18 October 2008 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by coolangatta (Post 8206498)
I would say 'getting out' while being bailed out by 'Dutch Government' is an ill educated move by anyones standards!! So many headless chickens :lol1:
However; no problem, as previously stated, for savers.:)

Er no. :nono: shareholders are right to get out before a company gets nationalised. Their ownership will get diluted at best or completely wiped out at worst. Examples include Northern Rock and Fortwas.

Savers are sitting pretty as it stands (I have a large cash pile, so I'm not complaining). The message is though don't buy or hold shares in financial institutions, as the Government may rob you. Not really a model for a healthy financial system is it?

coolangatta 18 October 2008 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Suresh (Post 8206632)
Er no. :nono: shareholders are right to get out before a company gets nationalised. Their ownership will get diluted at best or completely wiped out at worst. Examples include Northern Rock and Fortwas.

Savers are sitting pretty as it stands (I have a large cash pile, so I'm not complaining). The message is though don't buy or hold shares in financial institutions, as the Government may rob you. Not really a model for a healthy financial system is it?

Er Yes! 'Nationalised' shareholders are doing no worse than most in banking circles!

Suresh 18 October 2008 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by coolangatta (Post 8206665)
Er Yes! 'Nationalised' shareholders are doing no worse than most in banking circles!

Er No!

Shareholders' action groups (just a bit angry that Shares were confiscated by Governments)
BR Northern Rock
B&B Bradford & Bingley
Fortis (Fortwas) AD.nl - Economie - Duizenden Fortis-aandeelhouders achter claim