ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Marrage (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/719311-marrage.html)

hux309 18 October 2008 09:43 AM

Marrage

Just doing a spot of thinking, can anyone honestly see marriage as being a thing of the past in the future what with all the divorces and what not, to me the future seems a little bleak for it.

Opinions?

Nat 18 October 2008 09:46 AM

Big question for a Saturday morning. Unfortunately i have no input.

C17RPA 18 October 2008 09:52 AM

live in sin...........its cheaper and more fun :norty:

hux309 18 October 2008 09:53 AM

Well ive always said, we all pay for it one way or another. :D

Ive seen plenty of couples of late not get married and they're fine, but once that ring goes on the finger........

Ive been bitten once so it's made me a bit wary nowadays.

FlightMan 18 October 2008 09:57 AM

Personal opinion. Best thing I ever did.

Factual. Divorce rates falling year on year, so I heard on the radio.

coolangatta 18 October 2008 10:05 AM

Women are better at being married than men are, usually, IMO, on average etc. :confused:

finchyboy 18 October 2008 10:06 AM

I got married at 22 pretty young by Today's standard's. 7 year's later me and the Mrs are still happily married. Marriage doesn't always mean doom and gloom !!

C17RPA 18 October 2008 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by finchyboy (Post 8206208)
I got married at 22 pretty young by Today's standard's. 7 year's later me and the Mrs are still happily married. Marriage doesn't always mean doom and gloom !!

oi mate was she standing over you with a frying pan when you typed this!! :D

chocolate_o_brian 18 October 2008 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by hux309 (Post 8206173)
Just doing a spot of thinking, can anyone honestly see marriage as being a thing of the past in the future what with all the divorces and what not, to me the future seems a little bleak for it.

Opinions?

I remember when me an my Mrs to be first got togather. 27th June 2004. Soon after when we got serious and into a proper relationship the usual wimmins questions about marriage came along. After seeing my mother go through a difficult divorce, I always vowed I would never get married. But I could see saying this was upsetting the Mrs. Her family are quite old fashioned and beleive in settling down all that jazz.

Weird thing was, I ended up proposing in the cheesiest way ever - on Valentines day last year. I did mean it though, and must have had a change of mind somewhere. Being engaged does make me feel closer, but I suppose all marriage is, is a signing of legal documents and a fancy day out?

I will never forget Natalie's face when I asked her... she had no idea, and it took her a bit to realise it wasn't just some ring I bought her:lol1: Don't regret it one bit though (proposing that is).

RussBoy 18 October 2008 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by FlightMan (Post 8206198)

I agree - same with me. I think the key is 'when' you marry. My old Grandad told me when I was just a kid to 'wait until I was 30'. I don't know why 30, but it always rung in my ears. Anyway, I did. I had a good 20's...didn't miss out on anything I now regret and at 37 I've been happily married 7 years. My brother took the 'other' route and is 34, no Mrs and is turning into a social recluse....

R

Jamie 18 October 2008 10:52 AM

Not getting married makes you loads of money :)

RussBoy 18 October 2008 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by *Jamie* (Post 8206284)

That...I do agree with!!

R

dazdavies 18 October 2008 10:57 AM

I shan't be doing it again!!

Turbohot 18 October 2008 11:24 AM

It is credible.

In a setting like the UK, people look at marriage differently. Their experiences of themselves, and, of others contribute to it. Some have negative, and some have positive perception of marriage. I think more people have been getting married in last few years then before TBH. It's possible that growing house prices, general economic climate is making people think to bind legally with the people they love, and care for. Divorces continue too, as the right to free oneself from unfavourable conditions/atmosphere is not so frowned upon in the Western societies.

With credit crunch and all that, future seems to be good for marriages. Two people bringing income home, lawfully bound to contribute, lawfully bring up children, and feel less stressed about the pressure of having a family. A burden shared by two is halved automatically, as they say. I think marriages will grow as a future investment. Perhaps people's perception will gradually change about divorces too, looking at the loss and benefit chart- on both, practical and emotional level. So, possibly less divorces in future. Time will tellhttp://cache.hyves-static.net/images...iley_shrug.gif

Turbohot 18 October 2008 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by *Jamie* (Post 8206284)

Yeah. It you are stuck in your 'teen' years ;) :lol1:

Turbohot 18 October 2008 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by coolangatta (Post 8206207)
Women are better at being married than men are, usually, IMO, on average etc. :confused:

Possibly.

There are psychological reasons behind it. Women like to feel "wanted". A man bending on his knees, begging to marry is a great feeling for a woman :cool: :D It keeps them ticking for a long time, until they are bored. :D For men, they think of all the pros (no pun intended :nono: ) and cons (no pun again). Their concerns involve their loss of freedom, and pre-conceived idea of divorce + it's cost etc. Anyway, some end up marrying, some don't. Free country. :D

Jamie 18 October 2008 11:46 AM

What are these psychological meanings that you type *farts*

stilover 18 October 2008 11:50 AM

I can never see myself getting married. Don't want to go through the sh*t of a divorse if it doesn't work out. Want the option to to chuck someone (or be chucked) without having to go to court to fight over who gets what.

I can never see myself having Kids either. I'm too selfish, and too impatient.
They annoy the hell out of me.

Turbohot 18 October 2008 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by *Jamie* (Post 8206370)
What are these psychological meanings that you type *farts*

See post 16.

"Women like to feel "wanted"
^ Umbrella quote; to cover variations of those needs.

Jamie, dating may require you to put a cork up your @rse; save dignity in front of your lasses :D But after slipping that ring on some girlie's finger, you will resume to your ownself :thumb: farting around the house :lol1:

Anyway, you may remain single to save your money, so enjoy your *freedom farting* :thumb: :D

Jamie 18 October 2008 12:16 PM

Thanks for that reply and the cork up my arse :)but what makes you think i am single?

Turbohot 18 October 2008 12:52 PM

OK. In case of being "double", enjoy your *dauntless farting*. :D

Jamie 18 October 2008 12:56 PM

I never fart in public ;)

Karl Wunout 18 October 2008 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Turbohot (Post 8206391)
Jamie, dating may require you to put a cork up your @rse; save dignity in front of your lasses :D But after slipping that ring on some girlie's finger, you will resume to your ownself :thumb: farting around the house :lol1:

Anyway, you may remain single to save your money, so enjoy your *freedom farting* :thumb: :D

This has to be the unintentionally funniest post I've read on here!!

Sure beats the cork. :lol1:

Turbohot 18 October 2008 01:11 PM

Your partner is not "public". Your partner is your soulmate, who knows all about your light and dark sides. :D I bet you fart in front of her. If not, you may still be in your budding stage with that relationship, where you have to keep up appearences. :D

Jamie 18 October 2008 01:17 PM

Pssst can i have 20 of them pills please ;)

Leslie 18 October 2008 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by RussBoy (Post 8206280)
I agree - same with me. I think the key is 'when' you marry. My old Grandad told me when I was just a kid to 'wait until I was 30'. I don't know why 30, but it always rung in my ears. Anyway, I did. I had a good 20's...didn't miss out on anything I now regret and at 37 I've been happily married 7 years. My brother took the 'other' route and is 34, no Mrs and is turning into a social recluse....

R

That was pretty good advice he gave you and you are reaping the rewards of following it.

Les :)

Turbohot 18 October 2008 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by *Jamie* (Post 8206507)
Pssst can i have 20 of them pills please ;)

Noooooooooooo! Don't take 20 in one go! :nono: :brickwall Just take one for now, and see how it goes. I shall monitor your progress :thumb:

http://www.drug3k.com/img/lithium_16304_1.jpg

:D

Turbohot 18 October 2008 03:17 PM

Some of the wise words re. marriage are > Before marriage, keep your eyes wide open. After marriage, keep your eyes half shut :thumb:

Best way to have a successful, heavenly marital life :cool: :D

Puff The Magic Wagon! 18 October 2008 03:52 PM

Fact that the number of marriages is also falling year on year - so stands to reason there will be a proportional drop in the number of divorces as well...

Also because there are less marriages, those that do are possibly more likely to have a stronger relationship?

I am on my way to adding to the statistics though :freak3:

Jamescsti 18 October 2008 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon! (Post 8206699)
I am on my way to adding to the statistics though :freak3:

Which side of the statistic though, the marriage or divorce? lol
I'm getting married next June in Cyprus, and can't wait personally