ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Bloody conman......... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/719175-bloody-conman.html)

David Lock 17 October 2008 04:34 PM

Bloody conman.........

My daughter works for a small PR company in the City. Their offices are in a modern block with shops etc at street level.

This morning a well dressed guy, late 50s, walks in and asks if John (the boss) is in. He isn't. Oh well he says introducing himself as a guy who works in an upmarket art shop on the ground floor. He said that they had had a bit of a promo do last night but there was quite a bit of bubbly left. He couldn't give it away but if anyone wanted a few bottles he could give them a good price. All quite plausible really.

So he takes a couple of hundred quid and says he will get bottles to ground floor reception and give a ring when they are ready.

That was the last anyone saw of him :brickwall

Reading this now you'll probably think how can a small group of people be so stupid. I just might have been suspicious as the guy didn't even have a bottle with him to show people what they were getting.

Would you have been taken?

dl

davegtt 17 October 2008 04:39 PM

:lol1: Not being funny or owt but who hands over a couple of hundred quid without at very least confirming their identity :lol1:

Some people are just there for the taking :)

lozgti 17 October 2008 04:42 PM

*burp*

OllyK 17 October 2008 04:42 PM

Don't hand over the cash until the goods are there in front of you.

fivetide 17 October 2008 04:44 PM

sweet. i might try that.

5t.

ScoobLou 17 October 2008 04:46 PM

I'm sure this scam has been on shown on The Real Hustle:wonder:

mattstant 17 October 2008 04:47 PM

this exact con was shown on the real hustle ages ago
mostly watched of course for the appearance of Jessica-Jane Clement mmmmmmm

hoskib 17 October 2008 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 8204569)
My daughter works for a small PR company in the City. Their offices are in a modern block with shops etc at street level.

This morning a well dressed guy, late 50s, walks in and asks if John (the boss) is in. He isn't. Oh well he says introducing himself as a guy who works in an upmarket art shop on the ground floor. He said that they had had a bit of a promo do last night but there was quite a bit of bubbly left. He couldn't give it away but if anyone wanted a few bottles he could give them a good price. All quite plausible really.

So he takes a couple of hundred quid and says he will get bottles to ground floor reception and give a ring when they are ready.

That was the last anyone saw of him :brickwall

Reading this now you'll probably think how can a small group of people be so stupid. I just might have been suspicious as the guy didn't even have a bottle with him to show people what they were getting.

Would you have been taken?

dl

was it just your daughter done for the couple hundred or did a few peeps all chip in?

hindsight is a wonderfull thing in these situations, me and a load of guys got done for some money. reading the emails back from the guy we're all baffled that no-one smelt a rat, but at the time you're tied up with it and don't see the wood for the trees so to speak! still he's just been sent down for 3 years and we've all sent him a tube of KY jelly:lol1:

easily done, i'm sure she'll learn from the experience:)

P1Fanatic 17 October 2008 04:48 PM

Not being funny but handing over a couple of hundred quid and not even following the guy to get the goods? Youd think people in London are more streetwise.

Ddid he say it was Cristal :lol:

Simon

mattstant 17 October 2008 04:49 PM

beaten to it by one minute oh and taking to long looking at pictures of Jessica-Jane Clement LOL

ScoobLou 17 October 2008 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by mattstant (Post 8204611)
beaten to it by one minute oh and taking to long looking at pictures of Jessica-Jane Clement LOL

You gotta be on the ball to keep up with me :D

David Lock 17 October 2008 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by hoskib (Post 8204605)
was it just your daughter done for the couple hundred or did a few peeps all chip in?

hindsight is a wonderfull thing in these situations, me and a load of guys got done for some money. reading the emails back from the guy we're all baffled that no-one smelt a rat, but at the time you're tied up with it and don't see the wood for the trees so to speak! still he's just been sent down for 3 years and we've all sent him a tube of KY jelly:lol1:

easily done, i'm sure she'll learn from the experience:)

My daughter's broke thank goodness :) But she borrowed a tenner from a workpal so lost that.

I think the clever part was the guy pretending to know the boss so that created a false sense of trust.

I just told my son this story who said he saw in on TV fairly recently..... dl

Midlife...... 17 October 2008 04:56 PM

Did someone mention the real hustle

http://i31.tinypic.com/2mour5s.jpg

They did indeed carrry out the same scam !!

David Lock 17 October 2008 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 8204630)
Did someone mention the real hustle

http://i31.tinypic.com/2mour5s.jpg

They did indeed carrry out the same scam !!

That's NOT my daughter btw :D :D :D

hoskib 17 October 2008 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 8204626)
My daughter's broke thank goodness :) But she borrowed a tenner from a workpal so lost that.

I think the clever part was the guy pretending to know the boss so that created a false sense of trust.

I just told my son this story who said he saw in on TV fairly recently..... dl

that's a result then, not a dear lesson and like i say, she'll learn from it:)

a good con-person can take you in sooooooo easily, it's very easy to sit at a keyboard and spot the obvious;)

J4CKO 17 October 2008 06:22 PM

I will watch out for it, would love to get a live one and perhaps string them along, would love to do that having been got in my younger days for the Speaker scam, got my money back but taught me a valuable lesson, trust no one.

The Zohan 17 October 2008 07:20 PM

Well that sucks - this was on the TV show The Real Hustle a few months ago

TopBanana 17 October 2008 07:52 PM

I think this was on television's 'The Real Hustle' not long ago

Tam the bam 17 October 2008 07:53 PM

This was on the real hustle not so long ago.

David Lock 17 October 2008 08:02 PM

The scam that always makes me smile when I think about it.......

A chap targets tower blocks in a run down area. He knocks on doors and says his company have been appointed by the council to install spy-holes in front doors to help with security. He carries an official looking ID card and a largish cordless power drill.

He says the spy-holes are entirely optional but if the householder does want one he only pays half price and shows them an impressive looking spy thingy. He says his mate is following him and quickly installing the units but if they want one just give him £20 or whatever and he will drill a hole so that his mate knows who has paid.

So at the end of the day there is a tower block with 100 front doors with a drafty hole neatly cut out but no spy-holes actually fitted :D

dl

Terminator X 17 October 2008 08:03 PM

Twas on the real hustle not so long ago ...

TX.

bigvern 18 October 2008 07:44 AM

Maybe they should do SN for sale scam on The Real Hustle too...

(No one I've had dealings with though!!)

Scooby-Doo 18 October 2008 08:08 AM

He is known as Champagne Charlie in the City.

Nat 18 October 2008 08:26 AM

Fail.

A fool and their money....

richardg 18 October 2008 08:54 AM

what a brut

David Lock 18 October 2008 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by richardg (Post 8206112)
what a brut

:notworthy

David Lock 18 October 2008 09:32 AM

A Happy Ending

My daughter told me that as soon as the boss, John, returned to the office and heard what happened he immediately refunded every member of staff that had been "taken".

A nice gesture I thought :thumb:

d

C17RPA 18 October 2008 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by OllyK (Post 8204590)
Don't hand over the cash until the goods are there in front of you.

bloody right on matey!!!!!!!!!!!! oi guys money talks,bull5hit walks....C YA :lol1:

coolangatta 18 October 2008 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 8206151)
My daughter told me that as soon as the boss, John, returned to the office and heard what happened he immediately refunded every member of staff that had been "taken".

A nice gesture I thought :thumb:

d

:wonder: :wonder: :wonder: Was it your daughter, and colleagues, that have pulled a con on the boss :wonder: :) :notworthy

David Lock 18 October 2008 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by coolangatta (Post 8206281)
:wonder: :wonder: :wonder: Was it your daughter, and colleagues, that have pulled a con on the boss :wonder: :) :notworthy

Now that would be worthy of a part in "The Sting" :cool: