ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Paypal query?? Is this true?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/719061-paypal-query-is-this-true.html)

CRAIGFIN 16 October 2008 10:01 PM

Paypal query?? Is this true??

I only use eBay and Paypal occasionally so I'm not really overly familiar with either. Somebody told me something today that I didn't know. If I was to buy an item on eBay for £15 and only had £5 in my Paypal account, Paypal would instantly take the remaining £10 from my bank account straight away like a VISA debit.

Is this true?

I assumed that you had to have the money in your Paypal account in order to use it but my mate reckons he keeps his Paypal account empty and just uses the instant debit feature from his bank account. It would be very handy if true as the 7-9 clearing days are really annoying.

Flaps 16 October 2008 10:05 PM

I never top up my Paypal account. I use it like your mate does.

webby v7 slipperwagon 16 October 2008 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by CRAIGFIN (Post 8203011)
I only use eBay and Paypal occasionally so I'm not really overly familiar with either. Somebody told me something today that I didn't know. If I was to buy an item on eBay for £15 and only had £5 in my Paypal account, Paypal would instantly take the remaining £10 from my bank account straight away like a VISA debit.

Is this true?

I assumed that you had to have the money in your Paypal account in order to use it but my mate reckons he keeps his Paypal account empty and just uses the instant debit feature from his bank account. It would be very handy if true as the 7-9 clearing days are really annoying.

Yep its true and easier.

s1lko 16 October 2008 10:10 PM

That's how I've always used Paypal. Your bank account is your default funding source when there is no money in your paypal account.

Aaron1978 16 October 2008 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Flaps (Post 8203019)
I never top up my Paypal account. I use it like your mate does.

me too, but don't use e cheque it takes ages and is usually a pain for both selller and buyer:)

logiclee 16 October 2008 10:11 PM

Same here, never have money in paypal account. Either have it straight from the bank or for larger purchases from my credit card.

Cheers
Lee

GC8 16 October 2008 10:19 PM

Personally: Id never allow PP access to my bank account.

CRAIGFIN 16 October 2008 10:36 PM

Well you learn something everyday.

Thanks for the replies,

abbott 17 October 2008 06:09 AM

yup im the same i have never put money into paypal , just use it as and it whips the money straight out my bank

logiclee 17 October 2008 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 8203070)

If you want to be a verified user then paypal has to have a verified bank account. Doesn't mean you have to use your main current account or any account with an overdraft facility though.

Cheers
Lee

Freak 17 October 2008 12:08 PM

No access for funding from my bank account on paypal- too risky.
have one amex card linked to it for purchases and that is it.

fivetide 17 October 2008 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 8203070)

Likewise. Credit Card as despite what eBay/PP claim it leaves you wide open to being ripped off and a credit card is the safest way to buy.

5t.

SirFozzalot 17 October 2008 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by fivetide (Post 8203961)
Likewise. Credit Card as despite what eBay/PP claim it leaves you wide open to being ripped off and a credit card is the safest way to buy.

5t.

Same here, mine is linked to my credit card, not my bank account.

Allan 17 October 2008 02:48 PM

Yep credit card only. You need to set up bank funding once you go past a certain limit £650 ish I believe, you can then remove the bank details after it's all cleared.

Allan