ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   IS THIS NORMAL!?!? WHAT TURBO IS IT!?!? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/718512-is-this-normal-what-turbo-is-it.html)

millitant_sti 14 October 2008 04:18 PM

IS THIS NORMAL!?!? WHAT TURBO IS IT!?!?

WELL IVE JUST BROUGHT ANOTHER SCOOBY (I NOW HAVE 3) AND THIS 1 SEEMS TO BE TOTALLY DIFFERENT IT SOUNDS LIKE IT SPOOLS FROM LIKE 2.5K REVS AND REACHES FULL BOOST BY 3K IS THAT NORMAL AS MY OTHER 1'S SPOOL AT ABOUT 3K AND FULL BOOST BY ABOUT 3.3/4. BUT THIS 1 I HAVE JUST BROUGHT HAS A FEW LITTLE MODS! ANY IDEAS WHAT TURBO IT IS OR IS THIS NORMAL?!?!?

Peanuts 14 October 2008 04:25 PM

And breath :)

Right ho, no chance of anybody diagnosing anything from the information you have provided.
For example, maybe the rev counter is incorrect, also, you say it sounds like it spools early, maybe the turbo is worn and more noisy.
Sorry I can't help, but try again by all means only next time turn the CAPS LOCK button to <off> and take just a little more care over the spelling and grammar.

Peanuts 14 October 2008 04:28 PM

To assist you further, try to take pictures as they tell a thousand words or look for markings on the turbo.
Another good sign is whether the heatshields are still in place.

stoneface 14 October 2008 04:34 PM

Possibly a tdo4 going by the spool.

millitant_sti 14 October 2008 04:56 PM

car is a 1995 wrx sti would this help?!?!?

STiFreak 14 October 2008 05:14 PM

Have you asked whoever you bought it from whether they have changed the turbo and what it is?

millitant_sti 14 October 2008 07:03 PM

nope mate if i did that i wouldnt be starting this forum lol

The rookie 14 October 2008 07:22 PM

Didn't know you did...may have started this thread...

If you can see the compressor housing it will have lost of writing on it, write as much as you can read down and post, but an STi should be later spooling than most others, it would help if you tell us all three cars year and model!

Simon

Peanuts 14 October 2008 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by millitant_sti (Post 8197598)
car is a 1995 wrx sti would this help?!?!?

not if you think its been changed

dawleyboy 14 October 2008 08:06 PM

i have a td04 turbo if you should happen to need one when you find out what the problem is with yours

uk300scoob 14 October 2008 09:04 PM

i thought only the newage 06/07 model would have felt like this driving it after being in a classic or a bugeye shape or a blobeye shape as the spool up on them changed to a quicker 2500 rpm rather than 3000rpm. thers somthin wrong with car you have bought or its just your imagination.lol

millitant_sti 14 October 2008 09:17 PM

cars perfect people i think its got equal length headers or something like that it dont even sound like a scooby. and its had a full remap also a full de-cat 3'' straight pipe things a beast with 740cc injectors and walbro fuel pump etc and a blitz induction and front mount intercooler and is running a safe 1.2 bar. so any ideas?!?

Tidgy 15 October 2008 01:33 PM

740's? crikey, thats rather overkill lol

sounds like its had some money chucked at it, no real way to tell what it is, can you get some pics of it?

millitant_sti 15 October 2008 01:41 PM

will try get some pics mate been told the turbo can hadle upto 30psi!?!?!

Tidgy 15 October 2008 01:46 PM

tbh judging by the spool characteristics i doubt the 30psi bit, its gonna have to be pretty small to spool that early and 30psi is over 2bar of boost

millitant_sti 15 October 2008 02:12 PM

i know what it is now!!!! durrr! ive got an anti lag system on the car but did not know until today!! but the thing is it dont really pop or bang unless you drive it hard and change gears between 7-7.5 thousand revs! as i never really drove it that much i did not realise but i found out today i had it on the car and drove it hard and oh boy could you hear the bangs then it sounded like a double barrel shotgun lol but yeah been told the turbo is a 'garrett GT35r' any ideas how much bhp i could get out of my setup???

Peanuts 15 October 2008 07:47 PM

not with a walbro pump buddy