ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Brembo Caliper pad change!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/718300-brembo-caliper-pad-change.html)

greatgonzo 13 October 2008 08:30 PM

Brembo Caliper pad change!!!

Hi I am going to change front and back pads on Sunday and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice??
I have done pads before but not on the scoob only on my van, so any helpful comment would be appreciated cheers Gonzo

PantsUK 14 October 2008 05:02 PM

go here great video (I even managed to follow it !!!!)

HSPN TV - HD Videos on Demand - Powered by HSPN Networks, LLC

greatgonzo 14 October 2008 06:50 PM

Cheers for that mate looks really easy !!!
Are you meant to take the cap off the brake fluid reservoir so the pistons push back easier:confused: ??

petedotuk 14 October 2008 08:04 PM

yes m8, take the cap off and place a rag around the outside to catch an overspill. You may as well check the handbrake tension while there.

greatgonzo 14 October 2008 09:00 PM

Hand brake tension wheres that:confused:
On the back pads I guess??

360ste 14 October 2008 09:17 PM

When I change the pads on my Brembos, I put a bleed pipe on each bleed nipple and open them. This allows any air that may be left and any overheated brake fluid to be removed. Press the brake a few times after replacing the brakes and top up the master cylinder. I did read somewhere that it was not a good idea to push brake fluid in the reverse direction through a ABS unit. It could be a load of &o££o(k5 but is it worth the risk? just take it gentle undoing the bleed nipples so they don't break.

360ste 14 October 2008 09:20 PM

The handbrake tensioner is at the side of the handbrake lever, if you press the rubber flap out of the way you will see the two nuts. On my bugeye the surround unclips, if I remeber rightly, then you can get two spanners onto undo the locking nut. The handbrake on the impreza is done using shoes inside the drum part of the rear disc.

PantsUK 15 October 2008 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by petedotuk (Post 8198107)
yes m8, take the cap off and place a rag around the outside to catch an overspill. You may as well check the handbrake tension while there.

Use a bloody big rag and make sure it's secured as you will get overspill without any doubt!:thumb:

greatgonzo 15 October 2008 06:56 PM

Thanks for all the info lads I will let you know how I get on.
If I do get over spill I guess I will need to top up with new fluid any suggestions on what grade and brand to use:wonder:

GlesgaKiss 15 October 2008 07:24 PM

Mobil 5.1.

I changed calipers on my car recently and just used a cheap brand of 5.1 fluid. Any will do, but if you prefer to have only top quality stuff, then use Motul.

Alan

wrx9181 15 October 2008 09:25 PM

its a piece of p?!s mate easy if you done your van you will manage thse no worries

petedotuk 16 October 2008 09:33 PM

you will only get overspill if the fluid has been topped up since the last pad change, just be careful if u do have any that you dont get it on the paint.

Baker 16 October 2008 10:17 PM

Well impressed with the video. Ill be trying this myself next time a pad change is needed!

PantsUK 17 October 2008 10:35 AM

Those videos are very good shame they're not still updating them with new ones!

greatgonzo 19 October 2008 09:56 PM

Hi all just to let you know fitted the pads front and back today all went well very easily. Hardest thing was getting the bloody wheel nuts off.
Only problem I had was the new pads were squealing a bit :( used copper grease and cleaned the calipers and everything,
So I have reused the old shims from the Brembo pads and put them on the Black Diamond and this has seemed to work (no noise) new pads have a great bite and feel real solid, have not pushed them to hard yet as I want them to bed in well:)
Has anybody had similar problems???

PantsUK 20 October 2008 12:07 AM

Mine didnt before but in the last 500 miles have started squeaking a bit didn't before? Might see if I can get some shims from somewhere the ones I took off were cracked through the middle so couldn't reuse them !

mgcvk 23 October 2008 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Baker (Post 8203064)
Well impressed with the video. Ill be trying this myself next time a pad change is needed!

The video doesn't show him transferring the shims from back of old pads to the new ones or using any copper ease but is otherwise very useful.