ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   6 SPEED FITTED..help (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/718241-6-speed-fitted-help.html)

2.5STI 13 October 2008 03:50 PM

6 SPEED FITTED..help

Just had a 6 speed conversion done at API last week.not drove the car much but there is a noise thats doing my head in...

when i put it into any gear or drive it in any gear there is a tingling type noise coming from the gearbox.

is this a normal noise?
or is something vibrating?

any help greatlly appreciated.

Shaun 13 October 2008 04:28 PM

Perhaps you should be asking API this question, as it could be anything.

2.5STI 13 October 2008 04:35 PM

dont wana bug them.plus they will most likely say its fine.

mit 13 October 2008 04:52 PM

I'd be suprised if they said that,it's in their interest to have a listen,incase it gets worse. Give them a call!

2.5STI 13 October 2008 05:16 PM

il give hime an email then see what he says.Bit anoying as i have to drive a long way for him to have a look at it.

millitant_sti 13 October 2008 05:47 PM

well your gonna have to do whats neccessery and forget if there busy!!! you paid good money to get your car converted so you should be able to enjoy it properly without no headache plus i htink they would be more than happy to help you out mate dont be shy just give them a call!

Shaun 13 October 2008 06:25 PM

2.5STI,
Not being funny mate, but I would PHONE them. I certainly wouldn't be writing emails if I needed some advice on something I had just paid for.

Emails are not the best form of communication and API will advise I am sure. :)

scoobynewbie72 13 October 2008 06:36 PM

Give David a quick call, he will put your mind at rest maybe there is a local garage or something he can send you to to have a listen if need be etc

scooby0809 13 October 2008 11:22 PM

good luck!:brickwall

APIDavid 14 October 2008 10:31 AM

There have been emails going backwards and forwards between 2.5STi and me yesterday afternoon.

The situation is, that l am unable to identify the tinkling noise from the email description. Transmissions generally; do not tinkle.

So I have asked for the car to come here when convenient and we'll get a better idea of what the noise is and then decide what to do about it.

Like all our products & services there is a 6 months warranty on the box, so no worries on that score.

It could be just about anything and may or may not be related to the work we have just done.

Until I hear the car, I know as much as you guys.

2.5 STi is not too far away, I know coming here again is not very convenient, unfortunately that probably holds good for any tuner on here, You can't fix it until you hear it or see it.

Once here we'll get on with it - As soon as.

David APi

wrighty338 15 October 2008 03:01 PM

sounds daft but i had this, it was the gearstick dipstick rattling about, make sure its not NEAR anything to tingle against

Matt578 15 October 2008 08:16 PM

Or if you have an exhaust that has a bolt that goes through into the gear box make sure its tight or the bracket will rattle aginst the box ;)

2.5STI 16 October 2008 12:22 PM

its one of them things i guess...it is a bit anoying but as dave said il just have to drive back down.

il check the dipstick but im sure it aint that as it defo sounds as if its coming from the gearstick area...just hope i aint been givin a damaged box.

Shaun 16 October 2008 02:00 PM

I wouldn't cast aspertions until you know the facts.

APIDavid 16 October 2008 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by 2.5STI (Post 8201669)
its one of them things i guess...it is a bit anoying but as dave said il just have to drive back down.

il check the dipstick but im sure it aint that as it defo sounds as if its coming from the gearstick area...just hope i aint been givin a damaged box.

I thought I'd replied to this, but it seems to have gone astray.

It won't matter if it is a ' damaged box ' it has a warranty.

I bet when we see it on Saturday it's something and or nothing.

David