ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Engine light came on (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/717995-engine-light-came-on.html)

M12NTA 12 October 2008 08:55 AM

Engine light came on

Hi guys, i'm in need of your help and advise,

I'll start from the beginning and hopefully you'll know what it is!!

I drove the car into town and back yesterday morning and all was ok, the car then sat for about a couple of hours.

i then started the car and it idled abit lumpy but no engine light so i drove off for about halff hour and it drove fine, just like normal.
i got to the destination and let it cool down and it was idleing fine. turned it off and it sat for about 3 hours.

after that i started it up again to go back home, and i think it was alright, can't really remember. i then set off and it was driving fine (like Normal) after about 15mins i gave it alittle up to about 110mph cause i needed to get to the next layby cause i needed to chuck up cause i was feeling as rough as gut, so i got to the layby and slamed on the achers really quite hard (atleast i know the brake r **** hot!!)
Wiped open the door and done my business while the car was ticking over fine.
When finished after about 10 mins i pulled off slowly and after a couple of mins the engine light came on, Oh **** i thought but the car was still running absolutly finei carried on for about 10 mins and then got home. i even let it cool down alittle on the drive and from what i can remember it was idleing fine then as well.

i then proceeded to lay down and after about an hour later i went out and started it again and the engine light was still on and it was ideling lumpy so turned it back off. i reckon if i reved it and possibly drove it, it would of been fine but much feel like going for a drive so......here we r.

I haven't started it today, abit frightned lol

Pls help guy.

I know i need to get it to the dealers to get the engine light code but just thought some1 on here might of come accross the same thing.
I'm really hoping it just a sensor somewhere.

Cheers Guys

Ade

HT04 12 October 2008 09:08 AM

ive heard this before. if i remember rightly, its something to do with when you were haking it. its something like,..............because of the high speed, the intercooler isnt getting enough air cos its going straight over the bonnet scoop, so the turbo gets damn hot.

im not good with explaining things but i hope you get what i mean.

dan

M12NTA 12 October 2008 09:15 AM

but when i got home after driving it yesterday morning into town i didn't give it then let it cool down abit like normal and when i started it up after a while it idled abit lumpy with no engine light.

HT04 12 October 2008 09:19 AM

hhhmmmm. ominous. i dont know buddy, what i wrote above is just from listening to others on here. sounded like a familiar story. thats all the info i have im afraid :(

dan

M12NTA 12 October 2008 09:23 AM

cheers anyway mate

HT04 12 October 2008 09:26 AM

no probs

mart360 12 October 2008 09:28 AM

As your CEL has come on, an error has been logged.

do a search for interrogating your CEL based on your model.

once you have the blink codes, do a search or ask on here, then we should

have an idea where the problem is.

could be anything from the MAF, to the knock sensor.

without the blink code its anyones guess

Mart

M12NTA 12 October 2008 09:33 AM

so it has to go to a dealer to find out the code then?

mart360 12 October 2008 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by M12NTA (Post 8192679)
so it has to go to a dealer to find out the code then?

tsk tsk, read the post ;)

you need to interrogate your engine management ecu, to get the blink codes.

If as i said, you do a search on SN or google, you will find how to get the

wires from under your dash, and connect them. This will force your ECU to

show the error codes, by flashing the CEL light.

Once you have the sequence of blink codes, you can again search for the

list of what each set of numbers relates to

ie

blink code 11 (one long, one short) is the Knock sensor

Mart

M12NTA 12 October 2008 10:17 AM

o right mate.

Never had a scooby b4 so am new to all this.

HT04 12 October 2008 10:20 AM

is it possible for someone to list the blink codes, so we have for future referance.

dan

mart360 12 October 2008 11:16 AM

Depends on what model you have, they vary from model to model.

do a search :)

mart

M12NTA 12 October 2008 11:21 AM

do a search and came up with nothing.

M12NTA 12 October 2008 12:25 PM

just had a look uer the bonnet for any obvious sighns like pipes off or anything and did find that the treaded pipe on the bailey dump valve wasn't tight.
Tightned it and started it and idles fine.

does this sound like it would b the problem??
Does the engine light have to be taken off now???

Cheers

Ade

fivetide 12 October 2008 01:17 PM

I've had the engine light come on mine a couple of times, once after it was stood for two weeks in torrential rain (went on holiday at the sam time as all the floods) she fired up but ran rough and after about 10 mins the light came on.

On a positive level, it just means that something has been registered outside normal range. Unfortunately it takes three "clear" runs before the light goes out again which means, if you are prepared taking a risk and still driving the car (gently, off boost).

Three days later, light out and normality restored.

5t.

stu turbo 98 12 October 2008 11:42 PM

have a look at jolly green monster web site ,there is a piece on there that explains how to read your codes and and what they mean.

darren34x 12 October 2008 11:49 PM

reading error codes

try this mate

JollyGreenMonster.co.uk

M12NTA 13 October 2008 12:41 AM

cheers guys