ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Rolling Road results on my std 98 uk car (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/717862-rolling-road-results-on-my-std-98-uk-car.html)

Bez1969 11 October 2008 10:37 AM

Rolling Road results on my std 98 uk car

Hi Im a new guy with some q's. My 1998 208 hp scoob, which I bought two weeks ago made 200.1 HP on the rolling road at Triton Subaru. The guys say this is quite good for a 89k miler and the norm is under 190 for a car of that age. Good so far, but I always thought cars loosened up and got quicker with age?? But the guys at Triton reckon they only make stock HP when new or nearly new, so Im a bit confused (remember top gear circa 1992 when the 50k mile Golf GTI 16v thrashed the brand new one?) Does this loss of 8hp from new (3.3%) mean my car is now 3.3% slower than a new one, or is it not so simple, I mean a freer engine revs freer doesnt it?

Any ideas of the cheapest way of plugging that 8Hp? Filter? Scoobysport exhaust? The guys said it was running a little rich, but I assume this doesnt mean much. My car is running on 95 ron. Does 97 ron make much difference in terms of HP?:luxhello:

Comments welcome...thanks...

Ian 11 October 2008 11:14 AM

bhp results is for pub talk really, yes it is nice to know. but it is more important is how it drives on the road, and how you feel about it.

you can easy get lost chasing numbers, i know sometimes i do and all ways want more, but for what i need my car for it is pleanty. and on the road i can poodle around easy, and when i put my foot down, it all ways brings a smile to my face!

Gear Head 11 October 2008 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bez1969 (Post 8191509)
Hi Im a new guy with some q's. My 1998 208 hp scoob, which I bought two weeks ago made 200.1 HP on the rolling road at Triton Subaru. The guys say this is quite good for a 89k miler and the norm is under 190 for a car of that age. Good so far, but I always thought cars loosened up and got quicker with age?? But the guys at Triton reckon they only make stock HP when new or nearly new, so Im a bit confused (remember top gear circa 1992 when the 50k mile Golf GTI 16v thrashed the brand new one?) Does this loss of 8hp from new (3.3%) mean my car is now 3.3% slower than a new one, or is it not so simple, I mean a freer engine revs freer doesnt it?

Any ideas of the cheapest way of plugging that 8Hp? Filter? Scoobysport exhaust? The guys said it was running a little rich, but I assume this doesnt mean much. My car is running on 95 ron. Does 97 ron make much difference in terms of HP?:luxhello:

Comments welcome...thanks...

And who knows if that golf gti was original! :thumb:

How does the car feel to drive?

dj219957 11 October 2008 11:49 AM

rolling road figures vary vastly from road to road and from day to day. forget about it and enjoy the car.

TonyBurns 11 October 2008 08:03 PM

Super unleaded and a bottle of red ex ;)

Tony:D

jameswrx 12 October 2008 09:35 AM

I'd be running super (and an ecu reset)

I drove an identical car to mine the other day (both bone stock MY00 turbos, both similar mileage) and mine is noticeably fruitier in the midrange, feels like it comes in harder and pulls a bit better. Only difference betwen the 2 cars.. mine always runs super unleaded, the other always 95.

Bez1969 12 October 2008 10:15 AM

Car drives really well and feels strong..only slight concern is that when I start it up and the fan is on, I am sometimes getting some petrol fumes in the cabin. Only does it briefly, but any ideas?? The guys at Triton did say it was running a little rich in the low range, could the two things be connected