ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   SUBARU badge removal (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/717770-subaru-badge-removal.html)

bob r 10 October 2008 06:33 PM

SUBARU badge removal

I have removed the SUBARU letters from the boot but how is the sticky resin best removed?

Thanks

Norman Dog 10 October 2008 06:36 PM

White spirit does the trick - but I'd give it a good wash and wax immediately afterwards :)

Meallbhan 10 October 2008 06:37 PM

I used Tardis glue remover, perfect job, then a wipe with water and a polish.

KLR16V 10 October 2008 06:44 PM

I used Autoglym tar remover .

Mark

powerwrx 10 October 2008 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by KLR16V (Post 8190465)
I used Autoglym tar remover .

Mark

me too

mit 10 October 2008 06:48 PM

I found wd40 did the job,but as said,make sure you protect it after.

jdmforest 10 October 2008 07:28 PM

should of used a heat gun to warm the letters up before you peeled em off,would have took the glue with it.
would still be okay to use now,just dont hold it in the same place or itl strip the paint!!!!
move it from side to side to warm the glue up and itl come off easily

s70rjw 10 October 2008 08:08 PM

Losing ths letters really improves the Imprezas rear end. Brings it into the noughties IMHO.

Clarkie172 10 October 2008 08:45 PM

BEST WAY: Use heat gun/hairdryer then pull off the letters. Glue= Tar remover!

The Rig 10 October 2008 08:58 PM

not a heat gun, hair dryer, heat gun goes to like 500 degrees !!!

hair dryer, i wouldnt use my heat gun on the badges to be removed.

bob r 10 October 2008 10:53 PM

I used the hairdryer to warm the adhesive to remove the letters but it left the sticky adhesive on the bodywork.

I found the best stuff to use was nail varnish remover [not mine......my boyfriends] lol.......joke......anyway, back on topic. I tried White spirit, hot water, WD40, swearing, Glass cleaner [don't know why] and finally, the nail varnish remover did the trick.

There is probably a household product that will do the job dead easy like meathalated spirit...............which I forgot to try.

Anyway it looks miles better and I have reduced the cars' weight a touch.lol

big jim 10 October 2008 11:32 PM

so the autoglym tar remover will do the trick then? learn sumthin new everyday!

stolen_monkey 10 October 2008 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by bob r (Post 8191018)
I used the hairdryer to warm the adhesive to remove the letters but it left the sticky adhesive on the bodywork.

I found the best stuff to use was nail varnish remover [not mine......my boyfriends] lol.......joke......anyway, back on topic. I tried White spirit, hot water, WD40, swearing, Glass cleaner [don't know why] and finally, the nail varnish remover did the trick.

There is probably a household product that will do the job dead easy like meathalated spirit...............which I forgot to try.

Anyway it looks miles better and I have reduced the cars' weight a touch.lol

lol,

glass cleaner and a blistered thumb did it for me. went through the cleaning cupboard first. Didn't attempt the hair dryer trick, but will next time.

The Rig 10 October 2008 11:56 PM

a hairdryer and blistered thumb is a 10 minute solution, you cant just put the hairdryer on the adhesive and pull it off, you need to really rub it with ya thumb, you get a blister, but upward movements gets it off no probs

mit 11 October 2008 10:39 AM

Trouble with mine was the adhesive that was left behind was hard,not sticky.And it was all crazed,the main reason i revoved the stickers. Real pain to get off!!

S3TH 11 October 2008 12:40 PM

I really hope the nail varnish remover comment was a joke lol.

Perhaps im slow to get the humour but just in case some poor soul reading this thread decides to use it then it WILL remove paint.

Jamescsti 11 October 2008 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by big jim (Post 8191103)
so the autoglym tar remover will do the trick then? learn sumthin new everyday!

I've debadged a few cars over the last few years and always used that, works a treat, just wash it afterwards as i suspect it may damage the paintwork if left on

RB5_203 11 October 2008 09:24 PM

any pics?

thinking of doing this as well!

ISLANDMAGEEZER! 12 October 2008 12:50 AM

Yea i used the old hairdryer and sore thumb combo,also suffered bent back nail syndrome:cry: Then i used label remover.A quick spray with it leave for 3 mins or so and a rub with a dry cloth did the trick!But then i was left with some residue,so a quick blast with some coarse sand paper sorted that out!!(joke) A bit of t-cut and then a polish and the back end has never looked better:thumb: Its funny how small things make a big difference.