ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   IC water spray... No idea what it does/when to use? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/717656-ic-water-spray-no-idea-what-it-does-when-to-use.html)

daz_vx220 10 October 2008 10:23 AM

IC water spray... No idea what it does/when to use?

Hi guys i have recently purchased a n03 plate sti type uk which has ic water spray. When should i press the button and what does it actually do?

reano 10 October 2008 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by daz_vx220 (Post 8189370)
Hi guys i have recently purchased a n03 plate sti type uk which has ic water spray. When should i press the button and what does it actually do?

It helps to cool the intercooler and should be pressed when you are taking it for spirited runs on hotter days or trackdays. Under normal conditions you shouldn't need to use it. I have got my setup automatically using some controller (can't remember the name of it) and it automatically sprays the intercooler based on duty and gear im in.

daz_vx220 10 October 2008 10:33 AM

if its pressed under normal conditions would it do any harm? You know what its like with buttons, you just want to press them.

PeeVee 10 October 2008 10:38 AM

No, No harm whatsoever,

Press away until your heart's content.

Phil

reano 10 October 2008 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by daz_vx220 (Post 8189390)
if its pressed under normal conditions would it do any harm? You know what its like with buttons, you just want to press them.

Like the other poster said it will do no harm at all its just water going on to the intercooler. Only thing will be you will have to fill the water bottle more.

Jonlu 10 October 2008 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Barretts Motorsport (Post 8189406)
No, No harm whatsoever,

Press away until your heart's content.

Phil

:lol1: Funny enough, I was thinking of asking the same question.

scooby L 10 October 2008 10:56 AM

I've always thought it increased the density of the charged air, not cool the intercooler.

mit 10 October 2008 10:59 AM

Thats water injection!
Just out of interest,my spray is just two direct jets,not a mist,is this right? It only sprays onto two 50p size areas of the i/c.I'd like it to spray really...

reano 10 October 2008 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by scooby L (Post 8189443)
I've always thought it increased the density of the charged air, not cool the intercooler.

The colder the intercooler the greater the increased density of air..... They are brother and sister :luxhello:

darren... 10 October 2008 12:16 PM

Basically the turbo heats the air as it compresses it and the intercooler works by cooling the air which increases the density of the air = more efficient combustion.

The spray works by temporarily dropping the temperature of the intercooler (by spraying it with water) thus increasing the cooling effect and the air density.

You should only fill the bottle up with ionised water though IIRC

Mikkel 10 October 2008 12:18 PM

Bit of a gimmick if you ask me.

Might be of use in the mountains of Japan :lol1:

PeeVee 10 October 2008 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by mit (Post 8189455)
Just out of interest, my spray is just two direct jets, not a mist, is this right? It only sprays onto two 50p size areas of the i/c.I'd like it to spray really...

Should have a larger spray area than that, perhaps you have a partial blockage.

Originally Posted by Mikkel (Post 8189623)
Bit of a gimmick if you ask me.

Might be of use in the mountains of Japan :lol1:

I agree that for road use, it's not that necessary, but it was never designed for road use, it was fitted for the use in motorsport, which is why you only find it fitted on JDM models.

On classic JDM cars you got IC spray instead of ABS, as it was far more important.

Phil

brickboy 10 October 2008 12:58 PM

As the intercooler acts more as a heat sink, ideally you should use the spray BEFORE you really start caning the car, in other words to cool down the I/C as much as possible before you give it the beans.

This will keep the inlet charge cooler and denser for longer.

If you start using the spray AFTER you've already nailed it, the inlet air temps will have already started heating up the I/C body and the inlet charge will get hotter, faster.

Mikkel 10 October 2008 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Barretts Motorsport (Post 8189675)
I agree that for road use, it's not that necessary, but it was never designed for road use, it was fitted for the use in motorsport, which is why you only find it fitted on JDM models

Not true, it is fitted as standard to STi UK models. Perhaps after a certain date? I defo have one on my STi and it is a UK car. Also how do you come to the conclusion that JDM cars are meant for motorsport and the rest are road cars? Must be that rear wiper again :lol1: ;)

Torquemada 10 October 2008 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Barretts Motorsport (Post 8189675)
Should have a larger spray area than that, perhaps you have a partial blockage.

I agree that for road use, it's not that necessary, but it was never designed for road use, it was fitted for the use in motorsport, which is why you only find it fitted on JDM models.

On classic JDM cars you got IC spray instead of ABS, as it was far more important.

Phil

Hmmm, as said, my UK sti also has the intercooler spray. Think ya may be wrong there :thumb:

Turbotits 10 October 2008 01:30 PM

agree my uk car has it as standard to. Although i believe the jdm has an auto function where as the uk cars are manual

scooby L 10 October 2008 01:42 PM

Certainly since 2003 the UK STI had a manually opperated ic spray, the JDM's were automatic.

The 2008 UK STI does not have one though...not sure if the JDM 2008 STI does.

JimmyBFC 10 October 2008 01:46 PM

Mine is in the bin....too much weight:norty: :D

along with the aircon if I can sneak it out without the missus knowing ;)

PeeVee 10 October 2008 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Turbotits (Post 8189797)
agree my uk car has it as standard to. Although i believe the jdm has an auto function where as the uk cars are manual

yea, sorry guy's. I stand corrected there :)

No classic uk cars had it. Only certain JDM vehicles

They deleted IC spray altogether for 2008 onwards.

The 2008 rally cars are not exactly quick & considering how hot the inlet charge gets on a Gp"N" rally car running ant-lag, this seems like a bit of a backward step!!

This will hopefully get re-homologated sometime in the future :thumb:

Phil

DIPSY 10 October 2008 04:01 PM

Newage Jdm's have manual and auto intercooler water spray

GarethE 10 October 2008 04:10 PM

Its always raining in Wales so I've no real use for mine :D