ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Accident charge (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/717555-accident-charge.html)

hux309 09 October 2008 05:56 PM

Accident charge

Parents ended up in one a while back, the council have sent a very nice letter wanting to charge them for a repair?!

I think it was just 3-4 posts that were knocked out, how much would they be looking at.

Stinks of hypocrisy if you ask me seeing as road tax pays for road maintenance. :mad:

Semper 09 October 2008 06:13 PM

In my accident, the company at fault, paid £3000+ for orange SOS phone box to be replaced.

A friend paid £1000 for a lamppost.

No idea!

hux309 09 October 2008 06:14 PM

It's the posts in the central reservation, nothing big, does take the piss though.

cossie-nutter 09 October 2008 06:56 PM

My mate hit a lamp post and ended paying out £1500 for it, Another mate hit a barrier (metal one!) and that cost £1300,

They charge what they want at the end of the day and can always blag it to make the cost fit between the lines on paper!

chocolate_o_brian 09 October 2008 07:08 PM

When I had my major crash in May 2006, I took out 7 sets (approx. 50-60 feet) of iron railings from my local steel works where the car I was driving left the road. I was only tp f&t which I obviously regret now:brickwall

But never had a bill through, unless the steel works insurance paid for the repairs (done within 2 days) and not the council...

Thank god I didn't otherwise I may have to sell bodyparts.

El Cat 09 October 2008 07:37 PM

roadsweeper had to clear the road when i i smashed the last scoob up
got a bill for £800 for a road sweeper lorry to clean a swection of rad 100 yards long!!
sent it straight to the insurance company and never heard anything back!

The rookie 09 October 2008 08:34 PM

The council are entitled to recover the money to repair the damage you caused, they don't get extra from the gov't's take from your tax for the repair, and why should all the other local council tax payers subsidise you?

hux309 09 October 2008 08:51 PM

Well seeing as only 5% of ved is actually spent on the roads you tell me. ;)

Besides it wasn't my accident.

jbl 09 October 2008 08:54 PM

Surely it is just sent off to the insurance company as part of the repair bill in general . That is what my wife did a few yrs back, no quibble, no problem .

JBL

chocolate_o_brian 10 October 2008 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by jbl (Post 8188566)
Surely it is just sent off to the insurance company as part of the repair bill in general . That is what my wife did a few yrs back, no quibble, no problem .

JBL

So what about people like me at the time, that were only third party fire and theft insured? Pretty confident theft or fire doesn't cover iron railings :wonder:

The rookie 10 October 2008 07:59 AM

You pay then!

Simon

chocolate_o_brian 10 October 2008 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by The rookie (Post 8189166)
You pay then!

Simon

Read

Previous

I didn't get a bill, and that was 2 1/2 years ago.

badgersport 10 October 2008 09:35 AM

What do you think the 'Third party' bit means? It means any innocent third party who's property you damage - as in the local steelworks who owned the railings.

chocolate_o_brian 10 October 2008 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by badgersport (Post 8189301)
What do you think the 'Third party' bit means? It means any innocent third party who's property you damage - as in the local steelworks who owned the railings.

Fair point, I was under the assumtion that the 'third party' was a reference to vehicles.

Funniuly enough though, considering there was a full investigation and attendance at the scene by the plod, I never recieved any letters from either the steelworks or my insurers (Tesco at the time).

I presume being the steelworks and them being iron railings... wouldn't have cost more than a couple hours labour for them :lol1:

On a serious note though, I'm glad I didn't get a bill otherwise insurance would have been an impossibility under the cirumstances:eek:

Appreciate you clearing the TP bit up though :thumb:

mit 10 October 2008 11:29 AM

If i were to go and push a lamp post down,i'd expect a bill through the post,why's it different if i'm in my car?
Chances are the insurance will cover it,if it's any good,assuming you make a claim.

fivetide 10 October 2008 11:51 AM

If you have an ambulance you get charged for that too. Basically it the reason for insurance!

5t.

bigvern 10 October 2008 03:48 PM

£500 for a telegraph pole about 10 years ago :(