ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Big Cat Live on BBC1 (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/717161-big-cat-live-on-bbc1.html)

Removed. 07 October 2008 08:51 PM

Big Cat Live on BBC1

This is the sort of thing I'm happy to pay my license fee for:thumb: Great wildlife, very educational, full of gadgets, and, as a bonus, Kate Silverton.

bioforger 07 October 2008 09:18 PM

? the big cats are better looking than she is...

phil_wrx 07 October 2008 09:32 PM

i like lion man on sky one :D

P1Fanatic 08 October 2008 08:01 AM

Is that what I saw a clip of on BBC HD preview the other day where they had an elephant with trunk cam watching a Lioness with 4 cubs? Looked pretty cool. Blue Planet in HD is awesome :thumb:

Simon

SiPie 08 October 2008 08:58 AM

Can't deny the great footage but unwatchable to due to nature and overly emotional dramatisation of the commentary....

It's like watching the big brother house :mad:

The feckin cheetah who had lost 2 of her cubs, psycho analysing if she knew she was missing 2 etc and all reporting done with sad tones in their voices as if a great famine had wiped out human civilisation..it's nature FFS

Terrible IMHO (but fantastic camera work)

davegtt 08 October 2008 09:22 AM

Agreed with Si, I dont like the way its presented but its very good. Very interesting seeing the 3 male Cheetahs last night pouncing on the female. I enjoyed Monday nights episode, the lionesses being bullied by the buffalos was funny :cool:

Leslie 08 October 2008 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by SiPie (Post 8184195)
Can't deny the great footage but unwatchable to due to nature and overly emotional dramatisation of the commentary....

The feckin cheetah who had lost 2 of her cubs, psycho analysing if she knew she was missing 2 etc and all reporting done with sad tones in their voices as if a great famine had wiped out human civilisation..it's nature FFS

I think that is a bit unfair Sipie. I am sure that a lot of people watching would have felt those exact emotions about her loss of the two cubs. It was all part of the entire story and many including myself I might add were sorry about the deaths of those cubs. It could also be said to be part of modern nature if your closest mate got run over by a bus!

Les

PeteBrant 08 October 2008 11:18 AM

I thought it was great - The two lionesses, espcially the one that got attacked by the Hyenas last night was superb, and Cheetah cubs standing thier ground against the charging male Cheetahs was great telly.

Removed. 09 October 2008 07:17 PM

Leopards are the ultimate moggy as far as I'm concerned, and it's so funny watching lions being bullied by elephants, warthogs, water buffalo, king of the jungle my ar$e:lol1:

dpb 09 October 2008 07:28 PM

i wonder how far she can see without the specs :wonder:

Bravo2zero_sps 09 October 2008 09:21 PM

Great programme but like others the commentary goes a little bit ott at times. Billy Oddy (or as my 3 year old calls him: Big Dolly) on Springwatch is far more entertaining :D

urdad 10 October 2008 12:01 AM

...good programme.
1 question the bloke with the moustache..did he play McCloud back in the 70's....:wonder:

hoskib 10 October 2008 06:38 AM

how anything this good can be linked to the wank that is big brother is beyond me TBH :confused:

you've got to bear in mind that these people are incredibly passionate about what they're doing, watch any of the live footage and commentary and you'll get their true feelings.

it can get a bit mushy, i'll agree to that, but personally i find it a nice change to see a bit of emotion on telly rather than some souless money grabbing b'stard just going through the motions:)

Wish 10 October 2008 08:45 AM

Loving the program, but she spoils it for me ...... Cant really put my finger on why, she seems to come across as a moody cow that is there for the money and not the passion of the program.

She comes across as the princess in the safari, totally out of place.

But loving the camera work :thumb:

HankScorpio 10 October 2008 08:52 AM

They should give that Masai bloke a series of his own, I could watch him all night.

SiPie 10 October 2008 08:57 AM

Can't see how anyone can defend the narration on this programme but again I say brilliant camera work and a great insight by the Masai chap (who I still swear is really a cabbie in New York) ;)

dpb 10 October 2008 09:26 AM

sometimes feel their not letting Jackson say his peice

- it his backyard ffs :mad:

PeteBrant 10 October 2008 09:42 AM

No No, it's his office :D

I like the narration, the two chaps (can;t think of thier names) are obviously passionate about what they do and you see the emotional involvment they have with the animals they are filming.

Its nice to see a nature programme where the presenter gets really excited about what he is seeing.

davegtt 10 October 2008 10:24 AM

:lol1: at the deleted post :D I saw the funny side anyway

Iain Young 10 October 2008 12:56 PM

Started watching it but turned it off after 5 minutes due to the terrible commentary (dumbed down, over sentimental, and just plain annoying). Great camera work though. Come back David Attenborough, all is forgiven...

Miniman 10 October 2008 01:14 PM

I like the stuff where the buffalo or elephants kick off against the lions or the lioness has a go at the lion and wins. The wife likes the cute cuddly cubs/pups/babies etc.

I also like the way they simply come up with "look what we found them doing today", rather than the usual nature programs which try to educate you by forcefeeding you animal behaviour.

fivetide 10 October 2008 02:13 PM

Agreed. It is so ott sometimes and quite repetative in what they say sometimes.

The bits where they 'speak' to the cameramen with a radio bug me. The other night they were watching them with the infra-red and the guy just asked if the cam could pan right a little which it did immediately. Next thing he's got his little radio out pretending he needs to radio in and ask them to turn on the thermal imaging camera before once again going into a long speech about how it tracks body heat and makign out like it is invention of the year.

Just present the programme and don't try to be clever because it makes you look daft!

5t.

Leslie 10 October 2008 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by SiPie (Post 8189242)
Can't see how anyone can defend the narration on this programme but again I say brilliant camera work and a great insight by the Masai chap (who I still swear is really a cabbie in New York) ;)

Do you think he practises his tracking in Central Park?

Les :)

HankScorpio 10 October 2008 02:23 PM

What cracks me up is the night shots from the truck -
We have the headlights covered with a red gel so as not to disturb them...
The IR lamps we use are invisble to them so as not to disturb them...
we're talking in hushed tones so as not to disturb them...

So what about the 20 year old V8 rangey with lumpy idle and noisy tappets running 40 feet behind them...??

ZIPPY 10 October 2008 02:58 PM

Is it me or is the guy who sits with Kate on the log round the fire 'Camp as f#ck' no real man i know sits with his hands crossed between his legs all the time.

Kate is also garbage as a presenter, the show itself is great, it keeps my eldest kids happy for an hour as well.

Loved it when the single female lioness was rescued by her pride females from the Hyenas.