ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Getting out of phone contract (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/717019-getting-out-of-phone-contract.html)

stilover 07 October 2008 11:55 AM

Getting out of phone contract

I've split up with my girlfriend at the weekend.

I bought a phone for her via the Carphone website. 18 month contract on Tmobile @ £30/month. Obviously it was on my direct debit but she was giving me the money every month over the £30 contract fee.

Anyway she's refusing to pay for this months bill (£85 above contract fee) so I've reported the phone lost so she can't use it any more.

Anyway, there is over 12 months left on the contract costing me £30 a month. Is there a way out of the contracts?

I get £60 cashback every 6 months but I'd rather just get rid now if possible.

Any advise? Apart from I shouldn't have done it in the first place. I know that now. :brickwall

PeteBrant 07 October 2008 11:57 AM

Firstly, sorry to hear about your break up.

Secondly, as far as I know your only option is to pay up the contract for its outstanding term in one hit- I.e. 12X£30

I mean it may be worth ringing them and expalinging the situation and see if they can do you a deal.

eClaire 07 October 2008 12:15 PM

If you're insured tell them your phone has been stolen and get it blocked. They'll send you out a new handset. At least this way you will have the phone yourself until you decide what to do with it, without having to worry about her running up bills.

Kieran_Burns 07 October 2008 12:27 PM

Is there anyone else you know (more trustworthy ;) ) that you could 'sell' the phone (SIM) to?

Of course it would mean that they would have her phone number.... (I leave THOSE possibilities up to your imagination ;) )

RJM25R 07 October 2008 01:34 PM

Have you considered cancelling the direct debit, ring up the mobile company and tell them that you won't be paying any more because you've lost the phone and can't afford to buy a replacement handset. Then offer them a compromise to cancel the contract for you making a one off payment. I did this once with T-Mobile, but it was 8 years ago.

spray1974 07 October 2008 03:19 PM

Call your mobile provider up and tell them you cant afford the phone anymore, Get the tariff changed to a cheap £15 per month contract. (may take some pleading but speak to a manager if you have to) after a month you can cancel but will still have to pay 11x£15, at least you are halving the cost.

dpb 07 October 2008 04:51 PM

you gave a women a phone with your name on the contract ...:eek:

cookstar 07 October 2008 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by eClaire (Post 8182063)
If you're insured tell them your phone has been stolen and get it blocked. They'll send you out a new handset. At least this way you will have the phone yourself until you decide what to do with it, without having to worry about her running up bills.

Agreed, at least if you have to pay for the remaining line rental term then you can use the freebies included.