ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Hyperacusis (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/716916-hyperacusis.html)

Jamie 06 October 2008 09:22 PM

Hyperacusis

Has anyone got it or know someone with it?

I think i have it :(

Clarebabes 06 October 2008 09:25 PM

What is it?

Torquemada 06 October 2008 09:26 PM

Well, that sucks. :(
I have it when it comes to hearing the Big Brother title music :lol1:

Torquemada 06 October 2008 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Clarebabes (Post 8180863)
What is it?

I think it's this Hyperacusis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Torquemada 06 October 2008 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by *Jamie* (Post 8180851)
Has anyone got it or know someone with it?

I think i have it :(

So what's the score? Sorry about the wee BB music joke, I don't know if you're serious or not but it sounds pretty pooh if that's what ya do have :(

Jamie 06 October 2008 09:34 PM

It is not life threating lol it is the opposite of being deaf!

I can hear what most folks don't:(

Clarebabes 06 October 2008 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by *Jamie* (Post 8180910)
It is not life threating lol it is the opposite of being deaf!

I can hear what most folks don't:(

Can you hear what I'm saying? :Suspiciou

zip106 06 October 2008 09:38 PM

The symptoms sound very similar to what I've been experiencing for a few years.
Sometimes when I've got the radio on in the car it seems like it's really loud and thumping.
I've turned the bass down and keep turning the volume down but it doesn't seem to help. It gets to the point that I can hardly hear the music but it's still too loud.

I've also got Tinnitus in my right ear, even though most of my inner ear has been removed.

Torquemada 06 October 2008 09:41 PM

Sounds like something that's pretty hard to explain.
Although it does sound like you have super hearing, safecracking could be a new career? :D :)

Jamie 06 October 2008 09:47 PM

I wish torquemada :D i can hear next door shagging but thats a different matter ;)

Removed. 06 October 2008 09:53 PM

Not the same, but my hearing is so good, I can't hear clearly when there's too much background sound. For example, if I'm in a room with a lot of conversation going on, I can't pick out the conversation I'm taking part in from the background noise. Handy when eavesdropping though, but a nightmare in pubs, restaurants, places like that. Nightclubs make my brain explode unless I'm pished. It's a bit like a sound overdose if you see what I mean.

The people at work have learnt to be careful, they call me "bat ears":lol1:

What you describe sounds thoroughly unpleasant. No pun intended!

Jamie 06 October 2008 10:19 PM

Ah i can hear conversations that most would not spooky, in the office i tell the folks *did you hear that* reply is no :( :)

Removed. 06 October 2008 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by *Jamie* (Post 8181080)
Ah i can hear conversations that most would not spooky, in the office i tell the folks *did you hear that* reply is no :( :)

Can be handy though for finding out stuff, it's amazing what some people discuss at work:norty:

Torquemada 06 October 2008 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by *Jamie* (Post 8180947)
I wish torquemada :D i can hear next door shagging but thats a different matter ;)

pmsl :lol1:

And the hearing conversations that others cant is just spooky!!

Kieran_Burns 06 October 2008 10:43 PM

I have tinnitus in both ears. A continual tone 24/7, very high pitched and worse in the right ear.

However when i had my hearing tested the audiologist was stunned at how acute my hearing was away from the tinnitus tones, and you could clearly see the exact frequency of the tones.

I can hear when bulbs are switched on which is... odd; but the ability is fading now... I guess middle age is catching up with me :(

Oddly the tinnitus is worse when I am stressed and / or tired so i use it has a barometer for going off and resting :)

Removed. 06 October 2008 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns (Post 8181185)
I can hear when bulbs are switched on which is... odd; but the ability is fading now... I guess middle age is catching up with me :(

That's the sound of the filament rapidly expanding as it heats up. People used to think I was taking the P when I said I could hear it, until I proved it in a blindfolded test. Alas, old fogeyitis is creeping in for me as well.

Jamie 06 October 2008 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns (Post 8181185)
I have tinnitus in both ears. A continual tone 24/7, very high pitched and worse in the right ear.

However when i had my hearing tested the audiologist was stunned at how acute my hearing was away from the tinnitus tones, and you could clearly see the exact frequency of the tones.

Oddly the tinnitus is worse when I am stressed and / or tired so i use it has a barometer for going off and resting :)

Eeeeeeeeeeeek I will be 34 in the morning is that good or bad :eek2:

pssst i am all ears :Suspiciou

Kieran_Burns 06 October 2008 11:07 PM

I'm 42 mate :) and have had the tinnitus as long as I can remember.

Odd really - I NEVER get a moments complete silence. Ever.

As said though: my hearing still ain't bad.

zip106 06 October 2008 11:27 PM

I've learnt to shut the Tinnitus out most of the time.
It's obviously worst at times like now when there's no other noise around me, but hey ho.
Other people worse off than me. ;)

Torquemada 06 October 2008 11:29 PM

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

I reckon Obi Wan Kenobi totally had this :D :lol1:

Luminous 07 October 2008 09:09 AM

I too have this issue. Makes sleeping at night a real problem. So many little random noises that other people would be able to shutout, I simply cannot. Can make getting a nights sleep near impossible.

I used to suffer a lot from tinnitus, but managed to solve that by subjecting myself to low levels of white noise over a long period of time (months).

Jamie 07 October 2008 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunky (Post 8180965)
Not the same, but my hearing is so good, I can't hear clearly when there's too much background sound. For example, if I'm in a room with a lot of conversation going on, I can't pick out the conversation I'm taking part in from the background noise. Handy when eavesdropping though, but a nightmare in pubs, restaurants, places like that. Nightclubs make my brain explode unless I'm pished. It's a bit like a sound overdose if you see what I mean.

The people at work have learnt to be careful, they call me "bat ears":lol1:

What you describe sounds thoroughly unpleasant. No pun intended!

Right i can be in a nightclub yet hear what other folks are talking about 20 odd feet away :brickwall

safecracking Torq i aint james bloody bond :lol1:

Clarebabes I did not know you were THAT loud in the bed ;)