ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Hope your dog doesnt get this :( (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/716561-hope-your-dog-doesnt-get-this.html)

TonyBurns 05 October 2008 12:02 PM

Hope your dog doesnt get this :(

Our lovely 7 year old little monster :D (yorkshire/something or yorkshire throwback) (she was a rescue dog so we dont quite know what she is, just adorable :D) became poorly a week last friday :(

She was shivering and was off her food, went hiding out of the way and became very unsociable (though not destressed, just curled up out of the way), we thought it was just a little tummy upset but her nose was nice and cold and she showed no other symptoms of it (vomiting etc) so we gave her a day or two to recover.

Unfortunately this didnt happen :( and on sunday we ran her down to the A&E vets so they could treat her.
Now not being her usual self, she just sat there whilst the vet checked her out (normally she would be sniffing about and licking the vet to death :lol1: ) but no, still very miserable and sad looking :(

She was left in whilst the vet did some blood tests and later in the afternoon as diagnosed with the following :(

Addisons Disease :(
Addison's Disease in the Dog

The good thing is, is that we got this very early, she had none of the late symptoms of it :D but she still isnt 100% :( her usual bouncy "ill run about like a mad monster" attitude is sort of still there but as she is on hormone treatment, she has to take it a little steadier for some time until she stabalises, though unfortunately this isnt curable :( it is very treatable :) if you get it early enough.

This story below is one thats not so lucky and very sad for the people involved :( and I really hope that no one on here has to go though this, it can be fatal :(

Eddie's Story

Tony

Lee247 05 October 2008 12:09 PM

awwww, poor thing. Fingers crossed for her :(

J4CKO 05 October 2008 12:09 PM

Cheers for the heads up and glad yours is on the mend, we are getting our dog later this month so back to Dog ownership and all it brings.....

Tony, I suggest you nip down to your GP as you appear to be in the early stages of Smilyitis or "PDSDS" (Progressive Degnerative Smiley Deployment Syndrome)

Lee247 05 October 2008 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 8177367)
Cheers for the heads up and glad yours is on the mend, we are getting our dog later this month so back to Dog ownership and all it brings.....

Tony, I suggest you nip down to your GP as you appear to be in the early stages of Smilyitis or "PDSDS" (Progressive Degnerative Smiley Deployment Syndrome)

:lol1:

Jamie 05 October 2008 12:14 PM

Interesting read:thumb:

TonyBurns 05 October 2008 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 8177367)

:lol1: ;) cheers Jacko :D
She's not having a bad day today :D though she did have a bit of an episode last night where we needed to ring up the vet, popped her another prednisolone and she was as right as rain :D

Biggest down side to this is that she needs very regular blood tests for quite some time, not sure if she will want to go to the vets after that as she use to like it :lol1:

Tony:)

TonyBurns 05 October 2008 12:23 PM

Just to show that this isnt a dog's disease ;)
JFK's Addison's Disease; Physicians Confirm the Adrenal Gland Illness - The Washington Post | Encyclopedia.com

MattW 05 October 2008 01:16 PM

Interesting post. When I was younger we had a Westie who we had to have put down at 4 years. The vet diagnosed kidney failure but reading the link and noting it affects Westies, am beginning to wonder.

MrJim 05 October 2008 02:36 PM

ihope all goes well Tony love animals so much nicer than the majority of humans :thumb:

Sonic' 05 October 2008 07:40 PM

Not a good illness at all

Anyone who followed the Scooby threads last year, well Scooby is still pretty much the same, and has Auto Immune Disease so is now on Steroids (same as yours Tony) and will be on them for life, he has to go to the vets every 6-8 weeks and now has a much shortened lifespan

His major organs will start to deteriate and fail at some point, and he can come off the steroids and go on other medication, but its a case of suck it and see

He is on 4 steroid tablets a day now, any less and all his old symptoms flare up, and he had antibiotics for 6 months too, but at the moment he is still relatively healthy, but we have been told that could change at any time, also no cure either

TonyBurns 06 October 2008 06:27 PM

I did keep up with the scooby threads, its never nice when your dog gets something nasty :( though ours is being a little sod just now lol, just has the shakes a bit :( still probably not quite the right dosage on her steroids, but she should live a good life even if she doesnt like swallowing the anti biotic tables :lol1:

Leslie 07 October 2008 01:11 PM

Sorry to hear about all this. Hope she will be alright.

Les

wiley 07 October 2008 01:17 PM

hope everything will be ok

wiley

jaytc2003 07 October 2008 02:06 PM

Glad the pooch is picking up :thumb:

interesting reading in those links, we lost a springer spaniel a few months back only just over 2 yrs old and the symptoms are very very similar. I know from an incident earlier this year she was prescribed some of that medication (potassium and sodium levels) and when she passed it was how the first link described it.

soup dragon 07 October 2008 02:59 PM

My German shepherd had something similar, it just came out of the blue, one day she was full of life, the next morning she was totally within herself.

Got her to the vets and she was in the hospital for 2 months on all sorts of medication, the vet said it was some mild form of Leukaemia, but was not sure ?. After a few days she had to have an emergency blood transfusion otherwise she would not be with us now.
The total cost of treatment was just over £7000, with all the blood tests and other stuff. A good case of make sure you have insurance for your pet.

Anyway she is not too bad now other than all the pills she was on has brought on arthritis in her right back hip, mainly due to losing all her muscles, at least she is still with us though.

Glad to hear your pooch is on the mend also.

Edited to say that she is only 6 years old.

TonyBurns 16 August 2009 11:19 AM

Sorry to hear about your dog jaytc :( it does affect the sodium and potassium levels :( and soup, yes, pet insurance is definately worth while :D

So just a bit of an update, our monster had a bit of a relapse due to her immune system being slightly suppressed by the medication (she now has a bladder infection) so that stressed her out a little and made her body use all the steriods we gave her (she was going from 1 steroid every 2 days to 1 every 3 days so she is back to one every 2 days now), but as the vet said about the steroids, she cannot produce any due to the adrenal glands being faulty :( so its very hard to overdose her on steroids :lol1: but she is back to her usual self again :) and she has lost weight (she needs to lose more :lol1: ) and she is doing quite well otherwise :)

J4CKO 16 August 2009 07:11 PM

A mat eof mine rang today to say his dog had died last night, ten year old Westie, went a bit strange, ejecing fluids from either end, then died, poor sod and his family are gutted, the dog did go and hide so sounds a bit like this, his daughter doesnt know as she is away on holiday, thats going to be tough.