ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   power steering fluid, can you use brake fluid?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/716392-power-steering-fluid-can-you-use-brake-fluid.html)

Style 04 October 2008 11:12 AM

power steering fluid, can you use brake fluid??

just stuck in a new o-ring havnt got any powere steering fluid lying around, but have some dot 4 brake clutch fluid.

can i put this in? or not, or can i run my car the 5 miles down to halfords to get some power steering fluid, or will it be really damaging runnig with next to no power steering fluid in there

ta

scoobynewbie72 04 October 2008 11:43 AM

Says dexron II for your power steering fella (which i think maybe a gear oil), just Dot3 or 4 for brakes( i know I use a 5.1)

PeeVee 04 October 2008 12:24 PM

Whatever you do, do NOT put brake fluid in the power steering system!!

As for running it with hardly any fluid in it... You are at great risk of damaging the pump as is uses this for lubrication. (just as you wouldnt run 5 miles to the shops if you had no engine oil in the sump)

Sorry but you are gonna have to find another way of getting hold of the correct fluid. (dexron auto gear oil)

Phil

The Rig 04 October 2008 12:30 PM

brake fluid will love it tho, swell all those sealsup in no time !

dont use brake fluid.

i ran my car with half the required amount 15 miles, it was noisy/whiney and stiff to steer so i had to drive realcareful but when i re-filled it was o.k, but im not sayin gyes it`ll be fine, maybe i was just lucky ?

Style 04 October 2008 03:45 PM

got a lift down, and got some proper stuff. only i might have filled it up too much

the inner part the dipstick goes in doesnt/ hasnt risen but the outside ive just noticed is up to the top, about to over flow into the center bit

is that the right amount, or too full?

thanks

joz8968 04 October 2008 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Style (Post 8175898)
got a lift down, and got some proper stuff. only i might have filled it up too much

the inner part the dipstick goes in doesnt/ hasnt risen but the outside ive just noticed is up to the top, about to over flow into the center bit

is that the right amount, or too full?

thanks

There are min and max marks on the littlle dipstick that's part of the reservoir's cap. You should've gradually filled the reservoir so that you eventually see it coming into the bottom of the reservoir, then bit by bit add more until it's at the max level of the little dipstick (keep dipping the stick between the gradual fills). When happy that it's at the correct level, you need to purge the system by running the engine, then turning the steering wheel from lock to lock for about 4 or 5 times. When done, unscrew cap again to check to see if the level has gone down. If so, carefully top up back to max.

Next time you go for a drive and park up, re-check one last time and re-top up as necessary.

The Rig 04 October 2008 06:55 PM

if u have overfilled it dont worry,the lids arnt 100% leak proof and with the pressure excess fluid will leak out the lid,bit messy but the right level will soon be acieved

Style 04 October 2008 09:54 PM

thats great, cheers guys, think ive fixed the smoking etc i was getting when stopping for 10mins work, a bit of mopping up with rags, and a 2.50 o-ring delivered to my door.

well pleased

ta