ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Technical Topics Archive (https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-topics-archive-427/)
-   -   Fix for that squeaky seatbelt! (https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-topics-archive-427/715237-fix-for-that-squeaky-seatbelt.html)

stiscooby 28 September 2008 11:15 PM

Fix for that squeaky seatbelt!

I have fixed the squeaky seatbelts on my scoob! :)

Should it be any help to anyone else......

You have to remove the inner plastic interior section that covers the seatbelt (easy to do).

Inside this piece there are a few small thin plastic rib type bits, the top one is the part that the belt rubs against and causes the squeak.

I used a dremel, but can be done with a sharp knife as it's quite soft, to rub down the plastic enough so it keeps off the belt, see pic below.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...008043copy.jpg

Hope this helps :)

S3TH 29 September 2008 12:02 AM

cool thanks fella, I have this problem also but not had time to investigate.

From what you are suggesting thoughi cant see how that would cause a squeak?

Still ill give it a shot and see what happens.

stiscooby 29 September 2008 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by S3TH (Post 8163444)
cool thanks fella, I have this problem also but not had time to investigate.

From what you are suggesting thoughi cant see how that would cause a squeak?

Still ill give it a shot and see what happens.

At first I thought it was coming from the bit that the belt actually goes through, if that makes sense (the loop bit near ya ear) so I took this off at first and kept pulling the belt through it but it was silent. So I then pulled the belt upwards from about half way down (just where it comes out from the top of the interior trim) and bobs ya uncle it squeaked.

Once I had removed the trim that little rib bit was the only thing I could see what might be doing it so off it came........ little jimmy's ya cousin it fixed it :D

Myles 29 September 2008 10:49 AM

Is the trim easy to remove, and more importantly, does it go back on easily, and stay on?

stiscooby 29 September 2008 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by mylesthegreat(not!) (Post 8163821)
Is the trim easy to remove, and more importantly, does it go back on easily, and stay on?

Yea easy, even I could do it :D Only takes few mins to get it off/back on.

If you open the rear door and look where the trim part folds round the pillar there is a little round plug type thing which helps to keep it in place so use something flat to pluck it out.

Then just pop the ends of the plastic door sill covers up (as the bit you need to remove tucks under these) then just pull the trim part from around the door pillar.

You have to pull it reasonably hard as it flex's a fair bit and tucks around both sides of the door pillar, then off it comes :)

To put it back just do the same but in reverse ;) it stays in place just as it was.

brocksta 01 October 2008 11:20 PM

done this on both me scoobs that i have owend all plastics clip on and of very easy fix

DavidJohn 02 October 2008 10:19 PM

Just got round to sorting mine and its finally squeak free. Been annoying me since I got the car last year but couldnt decide where it was coming from.

Looking at the ribs I think the belt was acting like the bow of a violin been drawn over the rib causing the squeak.

joey_turbo 02 October 2008 10:27 PM

What year haves the squeaky seat belts? Can't say I've noticed it on MY00.

richardg 10 October 2008 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by DavidJohn (Post 8172668)
Just got round to sorting mine and its finally squeak free. Been annoying me since I got the car last year but couldnt decide where it was coming from.

last year!! i've had mine over 5 years now and i'm immune to it - it does annoy other people who get in the car though, so may be time to tackle it!

(didn;t realise this was a common issue, so thanks to the original poster!) :thumb:

richardg 10 October 2008 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by joey_turbo (Post 8172685)
What year haves the squeaky seat belts? Can't say I've noticed it on MY00.

mine's 02. didn;t know until now that this was common, but if it was common on classics as well, then maybe a previous owner fixed yours....? (unless your are the original owners of course)

ash002004 10 October 2008 09:33 PM

hi i get this on my 52reg wrx too, thought i was a loner with this problem....glad to hear theres more like me ;) lol

richardg 13 October 2008 11:01 AM

done :D
i used a sharp pen knife to cut, then tidied up with a small file. probably going to miss that squeaky noise now i'm so used to it! :Whatever_

Originally Posted by stiscooby (Post 8163371)
I have fixed the squeaky seatbelts on my scoob! :)

Should it be any help to anyone else......

You have to remove the inner plastic interior section that covers the seatbelt (easy to do).

Inside this piece there are a few small thin plastic rib type bits, the top one is the part that the belt rubs against and causes the squeak.

I used a dremel, but can be done with a sharp knife as it's quite soft, to rub down the plastic enough so it keeps off the belt, see pic below.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...008043copy.jpg

Hope this helps :)

joey_turbo 13 October 2008 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by richardg (Post 8189976)
mine's 02. didn;t know until now that this was common, but if it was common on classics as well, then maybe a previous owner fixed yours....? (unless your are the original owners of course)

Nah, I've not had it from new. I tried to make it squeak to see what you are talking about, but it doesn't do it.

Myles 14 October 2008 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by stiscooby (Post 8165717)
Yea easy, even I could do it :D Only takes few mins to get it off/back on.

If you open the rear door and look where the trim part folds round the pillar there is a little round plug type thing which helps to keep it in place so use something flat to pluck it out.

Then just pop the ends of the plastic door sill covers up (as the bit you need to remove tucks under these) then just pull the trim part from around the door pillar.

You have to pull it reasonably hard as it flex's a fair bit and tucks around both sides of the door pillar, then off it comes :)

To put it back just do the same but in reverse ;) it stays in place just as it was.

Sorry for the late reply, I have been in the Scoobynet e-clink! Thanks for the explanation, I may have a go at it today.