ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Smoke / steam and burning smeel after hard drive help! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/714810-smoke-steam-and-burning-smeel-after-hard-drive-help.html)

Style 26 September 2008 10:53 PM

Smoke / steam and burning smeel after hard drive help!

as above after a hard drive im getting smoke / steam coming from below the airbox, theres like a burning smell also.

hope nothing catches fire, theres quite a bit of it.

has anyone had anything like this? or heard of anything it could be, or how i can, or what i can try to stop it

the car is a 95 wrx import standard, just 3" exhaust. recently had some work done to it. is there anything they may have forgot to replace, heatshields etc?

thanks

david

his-n-her-scoobs 27 September 2008 05:06 AM

Most probable is right hand rocker cover is leaking on the exhaust manifold heat shield. Check for oil leak around there first. Check the small bolts holding it on are nipped up but do not attempt too resolve the leak by overtightening them as they break off dead easy.

See thread https://www.scoobynet.com/wanted-18/...ts-wanted.html

If not this then am sure more Snetters along soon with fresh ideas.

Good Luck :)

funky_gib 27 September 2008 10:00 AM

I have the same type of car and problem - mine is solely down to the power stering pump reservoir seal leaking. NOT the common o-ring but the tank seal halfway up.
Can I get one from Japan??? can I bollox! so it drips when full onto the manifold via everything else on the way :mad:

The result is a little bit of smoking when I arrive at a destination, I am sure people think it's on fire, it's really getting me down now :brickwall

If you take a peek on the front left of the engine bay straight down you will most likely see signs of burning on the manifold heat shield.

Failing that refer to the fire brigade :lol1:

Style 27 September 2008 11:55 AM

cheers for the help.

yea dont wana be calling the brigade just yet if i can help it :lol: well fingers crossed.

was doing some searching on here, thought it could be the rocker cover gasket ive read a bit about. is your powere steering fluid noticeably going down? are you topping it up much?

sorry for sounding stupid but is it just the airbox and some of the pipework that needs to come off to get a better look, or inlet manifold too? only had a scoob 4 weeks now and not had engine apart yet

ta

Style 27 September 2008 05:21 PM

hi mate, it looks like it was the power steering fluid.

all near the bottom of the reservoir, its slightly black and moist. this is probably whats burning then.

how do you replace it? which bits exactly do i jneed to get.

just a new power steering pump / reservoir. are they all one unit, or seperate?

and are most different specs compatiblle? could i get one off a later car to replace this on my 95wrx import

powerwrx 27 September 2008 07:04 PM

i had a simular problem on my old classic wrx, steem/smoke coming out of the bonet vent after a drive, turned out to be a coolant pipe..there is a soild(metal) coolant pipe that runs along the top of the engine block. this has burst on my car which sent coolant all over.

funky_gib 28 September 2008 09:29 AM

There are two possibples for the p/steering leak source.

Mine is a leaking gasket that is located between the two sections of the rounded type reservoir.
If I place a finger under a couple the bolt threads I get red fluid on it.
The fluid is blackened en-route to the manifold by all the dirt and other ****e :lol1:

The second more common source is the O-ring leaking that seals the pump.

I would have toyed with a new pump in this instance (about £50 on that auction site) but for the sake of a £3 gasket, I'll keep onto the stealer to get me one in :mad:

I may even have to make one ! :thumb:

Style 01 October 2008 10:18 PM

yea cheers,

FYI i found a good plce to get the ring seal from!

Subaru Parts at Graham Goode Racing

ok the seal is obviously : GGS840 : Power steering pot rubber seal.

which part on the above page would you say is the gasket it could be?

if it doesnt cost too much, will replace both at same time, to be sure im gona solve it. just dont want to get down to it with the rubber seal and finsd it was the gasket i actually needed, and have to wait a few days for it to arrive :wonder:

Style 02 October 2008 06:15 PM

ttt