ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   HID aftermarket kits (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/714775-hid-aftermarket-kits.html)

explore 26 September 2008 07:32 PM

HID aftermarket kits

something to read if your thinking of fitting a aftermarket HID kit in you car, like i was thinking of doing

Department for Transport - Aftermarket HID (Xenon) headlamps

SC008Y_MAD 26 September 2008 07:33 PM

Alcazar will be pleased, but I don't think BOB will be.

This is one of the main reasons why I went back to halogen bulbs from installing a HID kit because I got so much light scatter and not enough light on the road where it is needed.

explore 26 September 2008 07:36 PM

lol i really didnt know this, and all the stuff you need fitted to make the law stay off your back, wow

SC008Y_MAD 26 September 2008 07:37 PM

BOB gets around this with selling his kits marked for 'off-road use' and I can see why. So technically he is not breaking any law.

explore 26 September 2008 07:39 PM

how much does he sell his kits for?

SC008Y_MAD 26 September 2008 07:42 PM

look in the GB section

dunx 26 September 2008 11:56 PM

That's fine except the light units are identical on new-age cars, UK vs JDM, it's only self-leveling and washers that are missing...

So what ?

I can drop mine IF I think I may be a problem to other road users, and in all this wet weather who has clean headlights ?

DunxC

R4LLY 27 September 2008 04:27 AM

There is a lot of misunderstanding with regards to this documentation.

They are "listed guidelines" and only legally apply to "Type Approved" New vehicles. The rules were introduced to stop manufacturers from cutting corners in producing xenon lights.

It acts as a "guideline" for used cars, and although it states it is" Illegal" to retrofit Xenon's without the usual projectors etc, it actually is not "Illegal" as it is not enforced by the law, nor by the DVLA.

This is why MOT testers will and can ONLY test the beam/spray pattern of headlights, and why so many people pass with aftermarket xenon kits.

So many people read the guidelines and take it for the law because of the "clever" wording and marketing by the DVLA, then get scared off of changing their lights to HID.

They give it away with the first sentence:

In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits
This is not the law, just their Advice.

There has not been a single person, (nor will there be according to current UK Law) that has been prosecuted solely for the purpose of retrofitting a Xenon HID conversion to a reflector headlight.

As for scatter and results, I have had a set fitted to my morettes for a long time now, and the results were excellent. The car has sailed through MOT's without issue, and never have I had any complaints of "Glare" from anyone...

Most aftermarket kits nowadays have been E Marked and therefore cannot be classed as Illegal units in this country.

However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.
The above just outlines the fact that they cannot make a "law" or regulation for used cars, however advise that aftermarket kits "should" adhere to the same criteria that manufacturers use, as in the DVLA's view:

If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.
The above underlines the fact that the only criterion that the legality of a HID kit is based upon is the beam and spray pattern.

Therefore, if a HID kit retrofitted into a reflector headlight, passes the beam and spray pattern tests within the MOT, it IS road safe AND perfectly legal to drive with.

This is also why to this day there hasn't been anyone prosecuted for using, selling, or fitting these kits.

Projector's are ideal, but not the be all and end all of Xenon lighting.

alcazar 27 September 2008 09:45 AM

LOL, are you BOB5 in disguise?

Alcazar

Spec'c'57 27 September 2008 09:50 AM

;) so as my car is NOT type approved im fine ;)

Gazz300 27 September 2008 10:36 AM

I've fitted them to mine and I feel like every time I turn them on I am annoying people to the point whereby I am considering taking them off. They passed the MOT and give loads more quality light rather than the yellow but if over the winter I keep getting flashed by oncoming cars mistaking them for full beams then they will have to go. Plus a police car flashed me the other day about them! :-\

Granby 27 September 2008 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Gazz300 (Post 8159873)
I've fitted them to mine and I feel like every time I turn them on I am annoying people to the point whereby I am considering taking them off. They passed the MOT and give loads more quality light rather than the yellow but if over the winter I keep getting flashed by oncoming cars mistaking them for full beams then they will have to go. Plus a police car flashed me the other day about them! :-\

I've got them fitted to a blobeye as well and haven't had one other car flash me

20withascooby 27 September 2008 01:30 PM

got them fitted to mine been flashed few times sat being police many times no problems went through mot no problems even the vosa mot teaster had them fitted on his micra.great upgrade oh yea thats on a classic too

GC8 27 September 2008 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by explore (Post 8158936)
something to read if your thinking of fitting a aftermarket HID kit in you car, like i was thinking of doing

Department for Transport - Aftermarket HID (Xenon) headlamps

These interpretations arent a statement of law. This one contains errors: your lamps do not have to be self levelling, for example, they simply must not dazzle... In other places the MoT (or wtf they call themselves this week) state that 'some expensive estate cars with self levelling rear suspension' dont require self levelling headlamps. They fail to acknowledge that some cars have TA HID installations and dont have any self levelling (either in the lamps or the suspension): they dont need it because in practice you cant load the rear enough to dazzle oncoming vehicles.

imf1 27 September 2008 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Granby (Post 8159972)
I've got them fitted to a blobeye as well and haven't had one other car flash me

Likewise :thumb:

explore 27 September 2008 02:16 PM

hey even after reading all the crap about these and im fed up with the **** light from my 2003 wrx i think i will still get some

Aztec Performance Ltd 27 September 2008 02:50 PM

Join the GB :thumb:

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...mance-ltd.html

alcazar 27 September 2008 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by explore (Post 8160222)
hey even after reading all the crap about these and im fed up with the **** light from my 2003 wrx i think i will still get some

Hooooo, if you rate the '03 WRX lights as crap, you've never driven an untouched classic:D

Alcazar

explore 28 September 2008 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 8160485)
Hooooo, if you rate the '03 WRX lights as crap, you've never driven an untouched classic:D

Alcazar

yeah i have heared there even worse, you poor people.

frayz 28 September 2008 04:16 PM

Got 2 of BOB5 kits on my car and never once been flashed or had any beam problems etc.

The quality of the kits is very good IMO and i cant see any issue with them . Id highly recomend them, and i would never go back to OEM bulbs.

DannyBoy007 28 September 2008 05:28 PM

I've a set of bob's HID's on my Classic and they are simply awesome. Dipped is at a comfortable level to see much more than the halogen bulbs but not to much to dassel other road users. I've never been flashed for using them.

Turn on High Beam and the whole road for some distance is lit which is what you need.

ash002004 28 September 2008 05:35 PM

Iv got the gas lights or whatever theyre called on my clio 172, and even though they don't particulary look that bright from my side of the viewing from the drivers seat....people still flash me!! which to their suprise i reply by putting my full beam on to prove a point...lol

SirFozzalot 28 September 2008 05:43 PM

Having some fitted to my Blobeye on Saturday :norty: Will see how I get on. :thumb:

andy97 29 September 2008 11:54 AM

Be seen or be dead, especially on a motorbike!

Aztec Performance Ltd 29 September 2008 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007 (Post 8162465)
I've a set of bob's HID's on my Classic and they are simply awesome. Dipped is at a comfortable level to see much more than the halogen bulbs but not to much to dassel other road users. I've never been flashed for using them.

Turn on High Beam and the whole road for some distance is lit which is what you need.

What? Awesome even with classic reflectors? ;)

Same setup on mine and same experience :D :thumb:

alcazar 30 September 2008 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007 (Post 8162465)
I've a set of bob's HID's on my Classic and they are simply awesome. Dipped is at a comfortable level to see much more than the halogen bulbs but too much to dazzle other road users. I'm constantly being flashed for using them.

Turn on High Beam and the whole road for some distance is lit which is what you need. Unfortunately, it also lights up the tops of trees, and the farmer's house somewhere off to my right. I was flashed from Venus too

I've put the ciorrections in place, LOL:D

Always amazes me how changing a bulb makes crap lights perfect;)

Alcazar

SC008Y_MAD 30 September 2008 02:06 PM

Oh Alcazar :D

alcazar 30 September 2008 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD (Post 8166644)
Oh Alcazar :D

Harry Enfield's "Kevin" voice, ON:
"What?:confused:

Harry Enfield's "Kevin" voice, OFF.

Alcazar:D

SC008Y_MAD 03 October 2008 12:36 PM

I have just watched this video that was posted on DW forum re HID

YouTube - Illegal HID Convesion Kits Explained

Not to put you of mind you....

Aztec Performance Ltd 03 October 2008 12:49 PM

It's been posted before...

It's a shame that Auto Express didn't research things properly.

First off, they start off stating they are illegal, based on the DOT press release, which is NOT law and is not enforceable.

The rest is just to back up their case, which is flawed from the outset.

No issues of glare from our HID kits or any other issues. Everyone that has one of our kits seems delighted with the improvement over normal/uprated halogens