ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   330BHP question (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/712358-330bhp-question.html)

masterbates1 15 September 2008 10:34 AM

330BHP question

hi, i have 330bhp in my00, soon i think i may need a new box common 3rd may or could let go.
What box would be advised, was thinking 6 speed. advise need or is 330 fine for my00 box.
If you agree with the 6 speed would i need sti diff.

New_scooby_04 15 September 2008 10:42 AM

If your box is healthy and you drive with mechanical sympathy, there is no reasons your box shouldn't last. Mine has been at that level for best part of 3 years now. It's torque that kills boxes not bhp, btw.

If yours does let go, then the best option probably would be a 6 speed, yes.

Ns04

masterbates1 15 September 2008 11:15 AM

:thumb: if it does let go i will get the 6 speeder, prob be cheap to.

Tidgy 15 September 2008 12:41 PM

6 speed or ppg, i went ppg route cos i love the whine hehe, but does cost more than the 6 speed conversion. also some folks can't get on with the ratios of the 6 speeder

timchump 15 September 2008 01:14 PM

I wouldn't replace it until, and if it lets go.
Used to have a my99 uk runniing 343 of torque for nearly 2 years without anyproblems :cry:

masterbates1 15 September 2008 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 8133108)
6 speed or ppg, i went ppg route cos i love the whine hehe, but does cost more than the 6 speed conversion. also some folks can't get on with the ratios of the 6 speeder

Whats the problem with them, would a ppg kit and keep my 5th be better. Just sean some youtube vids dont like the ppg sound like its in reverse all the time:brickwall

BIG FUD 15 September 2008 04:21 PM

hjellicoil

Originally Posted by masterbates1 (Post 8133534)
Whats the problem with them, would a ppg kit and keep my 5th be better. Just sean some youtube vids dont like the ppg sound like its in reverse all the time:brickwall

Thats because they are straight cut plnty of noise hellicoil not much noise at all u can get ppg makes hardly any noise very slight wine in low gears

Fat Boy 15 September 2008 07:06 PM

440bhp/ 370 torque - so far, so good on a 5 speed here ( what's the emoticon for holds breath / crosses fingers behind back whilst touching my lucky rabbit's foot?)

Tidgy 16 September 2008 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by mark ward (Post 8133670)
Thats because they are straight cut plnty of noise hellicoil not much noise at all u can get ppg makes hardly any noise very slight wine in low gears

yup, helical or strightcut are options, as i understand it helical is also slightly noisier than standard (although never heard one and only going on what i was told at the time of upgrade last year)

as to wether you like the noise, its an each to there own thing, i love it

Tidgy 16 September 2008 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by mark ward (Post 8133670)

i was told helical is still abit whiney but no where near as much, although never heard one just what i was informed.

personaly i love the sound, but its an each to there own thing.

also bear in mind you can have a uk 5th gear put in to keep the noise levels quiet for cruising on motorways

Tidgy 16 September 2008 12:49 PM

have been told helical is still abit whiney, although never heard one so only going on what i've been told.

i love the sound, but its def an aquired taste. also i have a uk5th in it to keep motorway quiet.