ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Modifying help (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/711802-modifying-help.html)

zedy 12 September 2008 02:37 PM

Have i started the right way?

hi,

i am slowly improving my97 version 4 impreza, so far:

bell mouth decat heatwrapped,
blitz exhaust, centre decat,
sti intercooler,
green panel filter,
B&M quikshift
standard dump valve back on

i have just bought a walbro uprated fuel pump gss341, can i get this fitted without having any problems or after effects?

what else can i do to further increase its performance an help it run safely??

any help appreciated

bighead 12 September 2008 04:46 PM

fit a 2.5 engine with a md321T turbo :thumb:

zedy 12 September 2008 04:52 PM

i said slooowly improving the standard car not goin mental!!

some people dont need a car to take on motorbikes bighead,,, especially when they live in the city :smug:

bighead 12 September 2008 05:03 PM

dont worry , you'll get used to the power :)...then it feels slow and you'll want more power (circle completes and back to square one !!)

Jolly Green Monster 12 September 2008 05:05 PM

remap ;)

bighead 12 September 2008 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster (Post 8127968)
remap ;)

......... by JGM :)

zedy 12 September 2008 05:12 PM

i know it will need a remap big head u told me ages ago, the thing is jolly green monster its a 97 so it needs a brain, something i pm'd u about 2 days ago.

what can i change BEFORE having a map, i dont wana modify then map then modify some more then map again like bighead lol, i dont want mega power just around 300 ish reliable bhp.

thanks

bighead 12 September 2008 05:16 PM

a bigger turbo for starters, headers ,fuel regulator, injectors ...the list goes on and on

zedy 12 September 2008 05:19 PM

the way you are talking mike its like ur sending me towards 350 brake????

psigeek 12 September 2008 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by zedy (Post 8127982)
i know it will need a remap big head u told me ages ago, the thing is jolly green monster its a 97 so it needs a brain, something i pm'd u about 2 days ago.

what can i change BEFORE having a map, i dont wana modify then map then modify some more then map again like bighead lol, i dont want mega power just around 300 ish reliable bhp.

thanks

Perhaps headers and up pipe to be as free flowing as possible before the ECU and remap. On a 97 can't you get an Apexi?

masterbates1 12 September 2008 09:33 PM

440 injectors, 3 port if not standard remap job done, think you have 380s at the mo.
if you intend going over the 300 better get bigger the 440s

bighead 12 September 2008 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by zedy (Post 8128007)
the way you are talking mike its like ur sending me towards 350 brake????

is that a bad thing ?? :)

zedy 12 September 2008 10:40 PM

yes because its dangerous for the gearbox at that power, 290-310 will do me proud, i dont want to go tooo deeeep into it,

ur crazzzzyyyy and so is ur car mike :smug:

a question for you? can u further improve urs???!!! :lol:

and another one, hav u ever used JGM?? u always go to bob rawle :lol1:

Jolly Green Monster 12 September 2008 11:14 PM

is it a UK car or Import?

if uk then it has a td04 and therefore only good for 280~290bhp.. and no need to change injectors.. if WRX import then it should have a VF turbo and therefore would benefit from larger injectors

Simon

zedy 13 September 2008 04:58 AM

im going to take the heat shield off and have a look, if it is a td04, ill get a vf35 for it and then some 440's. im looking into a new uppipe for it too, maybe porting the headers too if i can find somebody who does em.
then comes the best bit, the map.

Jolly Green Monster 13 September 2008 08:27 AM

is it a UK car??

172sport 13 September 2008 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by zedy (Post 8127597)
hi,

i am slowly improving my97 version 4 impreza, so far:

bell mouth decat heatwrapped,
blitz exhaust, centre decat,
sti intercooler,
green panel filter,
B&M quikshift
standard dump valve back on

i have just bought a walbro uprated fuel pump gss341, can i get this fitted without having any problems or after effects?

what else can i do to further increase its performance an help it run safely??

any help appreciated

1) Big brakes
2) Suspension and roll bars
3) Then think about power. lol

zedy 13 September 2008 08:29 PM

JGM, sorry for the late reply dude, i was working late, yes it is a uk car, ive got 2 scoobs both UK, a T-reg v5 too but the R-reg soooo feels like a WRX and hell does it gooo like one :luxhello: quicker than my t-reg one by some margin :eek:

definitely quicker than a friends japanese imported WRX, didnt some of the my97's (earlier ones) have the same engine as the jap wrx's anyway? i think they did :wonder:

everyone automatically assumes its a WRX as the guy in his 315 bhp sti v5 did as he could not shake me off, my car was on it :)

maybe you just get some quicker out the box ??? god knows..

anyways more to the point, modding will start next weeeek :thumb:

harvey 14 September 2008 10:11 AM

OK. I will reply to your PM separately. Thanks.
So you have a good example that is very willing. Some cars are better than others for no apparent reason and you don't know what will be a good one until you actually drive it.
With luck your turbo which is a TD04 will get to nearly 300 bhp but 280 bhp is a more average figure. Your present turbo is quick spooling and it is quick spooling turbos that allow you to take on cars with a reasonable margin of additional power. That is why the ported headers and matched uppipe allow a car to punch above its weight.
I suggest you don't fit the fuel pump until shortly before your remap and your car must be in final running format when it is presented for mapping.
You already have a full decat exhaust so the next step is properly ported headers and uppipe. These can go on without a remap and do the fuel pump at the same time.
Now if you are happy with 280-300 bhp, you are now in a position to go for a remap but if you have aspirations for a VF34 or a VF35 it becomes more expensive but your horizon is now in the 340-360 bracket. On top of the cost of the turbo and fitting you need injectors (550cc as yellow 440s are already maxing out somewhere between 330 and 350).
A mapping solution for your car will be expensive so discuss this with your mapper.