ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Another airline (XL) goes pop (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/711744-another-airline-xl-goes-pop.html)

BlkKnight 12 September 2008 08:59 AM

Another airline (XL) goes pop

XL collapse analysis: Holiday firm is victim of airlines' perfect storm - Telegraph

druddle 12 September 2008 09:04 AM

I have a bloody flight to Portugal with these mothers tomorrow AM (or at least I did......)

scoobyvirgin 12 September 2008 09:56 AM

Bugger, i'd booked with them for two flights next year. I suppose I can say goodbye to the cost of that then??

Account deleted by request 12 September 2008 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by scoobyvirgin (Post 8126957)
Bugger, i'd booked with them for two flights next year. I suppose I can say goodbye to the cost of that then??

unless you booked on credit card yes

chop :)

scoobyvirgin 12 September 2008 10:00 AM

Nope, bloody debit, just looked and as I booked through Xl.com who are not Atol protected i'm now £800 down the swanny. B*stards!

scoobyvirgin 12 September 2008 10:28 AM

Just looked on my statement and it says the payment went to Freedom flights who are actually Atol protected. So, even though I booked through Xl.com do you think I'll be in with a chance of a claim? Can't get on the Freedom flights site at the minute as the server is too busy :(

Simon C 12 September 2008 10:47 AM

Not going to say too much, but we've just been asked to disable their Credit card system.

farmer1 12 September 2008 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Simon C (Post 8127081)
Not going to say too much, but we've just been asked to disable their Credit card system.

without saying much, what does that mean...

Simon C 12 September 2008 11:34 AM

They will be doing jack all transaction by card.

PeteBrant 12 September 2008 11:34 AM

According to the radio this morning, if you booked through an ATOL protected company, you will get your money back.

If you booked a flight direct to XL, via debit card, you will lose your money.

scooby L 12 September 2008 12:13 PM

My in-Laws are in Turkey flying on to Cyprus... and i'm sure they did the transfer with XL...

mannyo 12 September 2008 12:21 PM

Its not just the airline thats affected, anyone who has booked with the following will have also lost their holidays/cash.

XL Leisure Group
XL Airways UK
Excel Aviation
Explorer House
Aspire Holidays
Freedom Flights
Freedom Flights (Aviation)
The Really Great Holiday Company
Medlife Hotels
Travel City Flights
Kosmar Villa Holidays

BBC NEWS | Business | Holiday firm XL in administration

Apparently they were still taking bookings last night, even though at that point they must have known what was happening today. They were handing out leaflets and so on today, and they take a while to get printed.

Janspeed 12 September 2008 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by druddle (Post 8126857)
I have a bloody flight to Portugal with these mothers tomorrow AM (or at least I did......)

You did? You should fly the "proper" airlines, they dont go pop unless the government says so!:smug:

Hope you get the dosh back.

druddle 12 September 2008 12:52 PM

Thank goodness it was booked by the events company I will be working for so it will be down to them to sort it out.....

Leslie 13 September 2008 10:36 AM

Wont be the only airline I reckon!

Les

zip106 13 September 2008 10:54 AM

SAS (Scandinavia)
Spanair (part of SAS)
ALITALIA

They'll be the next 'big' ones to go.

Janspeed 13 September 2008 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 8129294)
SAS (Scandinavia)
Spanair (part of SAS)
ALITALIA

They'll be the next 'big' ones to go.

Indeed, reading an Italian newspaper yesterday, it sure looks grim for Alitalia..............

farmer1 13 September 2008 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Janspeed (Post 8129594)
Indeed, reading an Italian newspaper yesterday, it sure looks grim for Alitalia..............

Just heard something on the radio about them grounding some flights as they can't afford to buy fuel.

Not looking good
Fuel supply problems could ground Alitalia flights | Business | guardian.co.uk

j4ckos mate 13 September 2008 09:41 PM

did anyone notice Bruce dickinson on the telly he flew some of them back,.