ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   advance multiplyer on 2003 JDM STi Twinscorll (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/711499-advance-multiplyer-on-2003-jdm-sti-twinscorll.html)

steve1178 10 September 2008 09:36 PM

advance multiplyer on 2003 JDM STi Twinscorll

Hi guys,
How do i get max advance multiplyer?

reset the ECU and it feels alot slower :-( is there a quick way or just general driving techniques to get it to (I think which is the best) 16 multiplyer?

Also is there any way of finding out what it is set as without any diagnostics tools? (CEL codes or anything?)

Cheers guys

TonyBurns 10 September 2008 09:57 PM

It needs to be attached to a pc to see what its running at, the later cars are not the same as the classics for resetting the ecu or some of the codes/faults.
Dealer only im afraid :( oh and you have to watch out for the avac's, sometimes can stop working if you mess around too much.....
Cheat way is battery off for an hour or two, though it also depends on what fuel your car is running, just super unleaded on an unmapped JDM can reduce the multiplier down.

Tony:)

dynamix 11 September 2008 07:58 AM

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / ECU Fast Learning Trick

Easiest way to do it :thumb:

AndrewC 11 September 2008 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 8123895)
Cheat way is battery off for an hour or two, though it also depends on what fuel your car is running, just super unleaded on an unmapped JDM can reduce the multiplier down.

How will that set the AM to 16?

IF disconnecting the battery reset the ECU on a newage; which it doesn't; then the AM would go to 8 not 16.

Getting JDM TS to fast learn as Dynamix above can be quite tricky too.

Andrew...

TonyBurns 11 September 2008 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by AndrewC (Post 8124676)

IF disconnecting the battery reset the ECU on a newage; which it doesn't; then the AM would go to 8 not 16.

Andrew...

I can tell you it does work ;) though I use to remove the battery for a good 12 hours whilst charging it, then I never ragged the car for the first 10+ miles, hence it relearnt like dynamix pointed out.
But if you also read I did point out that it is dealer only because the avcs can be a little tricky and sometimes stop working :(

AndrewC 11 September 2008 02:06 PM

So not 1-2 hours then? and that still doesn't do a full reset.

Why does it take you 10+ miles to do the fast learning trick, I can usually get a car to max AM within 200m after a reflash (coarse learning is actually airflow not boost based).

No mystery about AVCS, ECU needs to re-learn its AVCS control parameters after a reset, leaving it to idle for a few minutes is usually all that is required, although sometimes driving into the AVCS active zone and then return to a stop and leaving it to idle again is needed to allow the ECU to sync its cam control.

Andrew...

dynamix 11 September 2008 02:10 PM

Same 200m here too.

Monitoring the AVCS shows if they are synced - well worth getting a laptop and tactrix cable to allow you to reset ecu, read fault codes etc and most of all monitor it if and when it is not running well. (or indeed if it is)

bluenose172 11 September 2008 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by dynamix (Post 8125293)
Same 200m here too.

Monitoring the AVCS shows if they are synced - well worth getting a laptop and tactrix cable to allow you to reset ecu, read fault codes etc and most of all monitor it if and when it is not running well. (or indeed if it is)

What software you using to monitor it?

SPEN555 11 September 2008 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 8124988)
I can tell you it does work ;) though I use to remove the battery for a good 12 hours whilst charging it, then I never ragged the car for the first 10+ miles, hence it relearnt like dynamix pointed out.
But if you also read I did point out that it is dealer only because the avcs can be a little tricky and sometimes stop working :(

Ha ha the JDM ecu on the twin ecu is that fast to learn I can't believe you went to the above lengths! Must be a placebo effect for you, it worked on the classics so............ :D

P.S. Quickest way I have found to reset my ECU is press the button on the SECS monitor. I don't do it often though as it's a lot of hard work :D

davedipster 12 September 2008 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by AndrewC (Post 8124676)

Andrew...

Disconnecting the battery does reset the ecu, done it.

Jolly Green Monster 12 September 2008 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by davedipster (Post 8127905)
Disconnecting the battery does reset the ecu, done it.

it doesn't reset everything

jasonius 12 September 2008 06:39 PM

10 mins on my 05 wrx is enough to reset a CEL, however it doesn't reset the AM. I know as I've checked it via Enginuity/ECUexplorer..;)

IIRC after a proper reset all you need to do to get the AM up to max is hold 1bar for 5-10 second in 2nd gear, then away you go..:)

davedipster 13 September 2008 12:06 PM

I stand corrected, not for the first time.

Dipster