ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   classic impreza to a 350z (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/711498-classic-impreza-to-a-350z.html)

ross d 10 September 2008 09:24 PM

classic impreza to a 350z

hi,i am currently driving a classic,modded to about 280bhp.been thinking about changing cars and one of the cars im interested in is a nissan 350z and was wondering if anyone on here has owned one before or after they have owned an impreza,if so how do they compare,thanks

rabbos 10 September 2008 09:46 PM

Straight line will be similar, but you might want to get some RWD tuition if you plan to cain it on the roads.

Mikkel 10 September 2008 09:53 PM

Amamzing car and great fun to be had. I went from a 350z into my STi.

It is not a quick car in comparison with an Impreza. It runs 280bhp - 300bhp I believe in the newer ones - but is very heavy and NA. It feels more stable at high speeds but it takes you longer to get there. Better build quality IMHO.

Round corners it is very lively and a load of fun if a bit of sideways action is your thing.

wiley 11 September 2008 02:41 AM

personally i like the looks on a 350z compared to any scooby... but for performance, fun and noise i choose a scooby
wiley

Fantom 11 September 2008 01:24 PM

I recently drove one at bedford autodrome. I thought it was fantastic to drive. Wasn't able to turn the traction control off, but i was very impressed with the handling, braking, turn in etc. Pretty quick too.
Unfortunately I have no experience with Imprezas of the same age/value. My two imprezas were 1993 wrxs.

mrsteve 12 September 2008 12:33 PM

with a couple of simple mods its quite easy to get to 320/330 bhp and with some wider track wheels on the back it is a lot of fun on the roads, i decided on one over the spec d sti in the end as the sti was too heavy on insurance.

they are two completely different cars, both a lot of fun for different reasons :)

unsure what a sti in standard form would do the standing 1/4 in but i managed 13.8 un modded and 13.5 (with a little more left in it) modded if thats any help @ pod.

In the wet however they are useless, you want a scoob in the wet :notworthy

Mikkel 12 September 2008 03:27 PM

Having gone to the same car you chose the 350z over :) I have to say they are a world apart in the dry too. They are also very expensive to modify in comparison with an Impreza... but that is not the point of the 350z IMHO. It is a proper drivers car, unlike the Impreza that more or less drives itself, and as such is a lot of fun to drive. It isn't really very quick though... it will hold it's own against the hot hatches of this world and other hair dryers like the TT, RX8 and the S2000. An Impreza and/or Evo will murder it under any circumstances... well, besides on the eye ;)

ross d 12 September 2008 08:13 PM

thanks for the replys,the 350 does sound like a good car but not quite good enough to justify the added expense at the moment,think i'll hang on to the scoob for a while longer:)

richs2891 12 September 2008 09:03 PM

lol almost bought a 350Z to replace my Scoob with, got put off by the shiny plastic interior and the fuel costs ! A bit balnd to drive in standard form I found. Still like the looks of the soft top one - good for relaxing weekend use !

Richard

Semper 12 September 2008 09:16 PM

I had 350z GT4, ultra yellow, nismo kit factory fit...and it drank...and drank...and drank fuel. Lovely car though. And the V6 sound was awesome. Still wouldn't change my impreza for it.

EDIT - The ladies love 350z more!

Stainy 13 September 2008 10:36 AM

I had both for a day before deciding on the Impreza - couldn't live with Zero boot space and only 2 seats.

Still love the 350z though

farmerwrx 14 September 2008 11:28 PM

we have a 350 z roadster and a type r and the 350 is loads better on petrol than the impreza

Mikkel 14 September 2008 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by farmerwrx (Post 8132365)
we have a 350 z roadster and a type r and the 350 is loads better on petrol than the impreza

I found them equally poor to be honest. Nothing in it.

farmerwrx 16 September 2008 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mikkel (Post 8132385)
I found them equally poor to be honest. Nothing in it.

around town the 350 is better on a run there is no contest the 350 is loads better with the 6 speed box

DJ Dunk 16 September 2008 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by farmerwrx (Post 8134850)
around town the 350 is better on a run there is no contest the 350 is loads better with the 6 speed box

Agreed, even on motorway runs I got great fuel economy from my 350z, considering, on a par with my diesel X-Trail in fact.

Boot space is actually very good too when you live with it. When you use the space behind the csross member there's plenty of room. I could get more in it than a saloon with a solid rear bulkhead.

The interior quality is good, better than the Impreza IMO. Very solid, decent plastics, certainly not shiny & cheap.

Enjoyed mine hugely and would recommend one. They eat tyres, but that sound with a decent exhaust is just amazing. They still turn heads (especially female ;)).

Took mine out in the snow once, never again :lol1:

Andy M3 16 September 2008 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by rabbos (Post 8123866)
....but you might want to get some RWD tuition if you plan to cain it on the roads.

:wonder: why?

Mikkel 17 September 2008 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by farmerwrx (Post 8134850)

Like I said, I've owned both an Impreza and a 350z and I found them the same, both around town and on the motorway. My Impreza has a 6 speed box too.