ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Is anything selling? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/711305-is-anything-selling.html)

WRXWagon. 09 September 2008 09:35 PM

Is anything selling?

Looking for a car for my daughter, an MX5.

Lots of rubbish about as usual but the point is that speaking to the owners, they have had not one single call in 99% of instances even after 6 months. And thats for a highly desirable car like a MX5!

TheVoices 09 September 2008 09:52 PM

'they have had not one single call in 99% of instances even after 6 months. And thats for a highly desirable car like a MX5 !'

Desirable ? perhaps a shortage of girls and gay men willing to buy them ?

WRXWagon. 09 September 2008 09:58 PM

Ha Ha Ha you have never driven one I take it?

Bit too powerful and skippy for you I guess? :D

LG John 09 September 2008 10:00 PM

Seems like this is a great time in life to be renting a house/flat and cycling everywhere :D

WRXWagon. 09 September 2008 10:04 PM

Spot on Saxo Boy :thumb:

TheVoices 09 September 2008 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by WRXWagon. (Post 8121916)
Ha Ha Ha you have never driven one I take it?

Bit too powerful and skippy for you I guess? :D

Sadly, yes I have driven more than one (obviously with a bag over my head) Nice handling Lotus Elan rip off which might be interesting with double the power. Can't really see the point of a 'sports car' without performance to match. Very reliable and fun however, to each their own !

WRXWagon. 09 September 2008 10:15 PM

We can agree that they are brilliant cars then?

A million owners cannot be wrong :D

TheVoices 09 September 2008 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by WRXWagon. (Post 8121968)
We can agree that they are brilliant cars then?

A million owners cannot be wrong :D

Could be deluded though ?

Think 'Crocodile Dundee' (I know, just bear with me)

'Watch out Mick, he's got a sports car !' (limp wristed hairdresser type in leopardskin pants flourishes MX5)
'Call that a sports car ? THIS is a sportscar !' (flourishes TVR / Shelby Cobra / Daytona drophead etc)

see what I mean ? LOL !

Nat 09 September 2008 10:28 PM

I know mates trying to sell a TVR Tuscan, Audi TT and Mini Cooper - All between £10-15K.

None of them selling despite lots of price drops. Market is dead between 10-20k imo - no-one can get loans.

J4CKO 09 September 2008 10:52 PM

My car is a luxury now, I ear good money but changing it isnt an option, I supsect most people are the same or worse off, there is not saying F*ck it, stick it on the mortgage.

For th canny buyer with a few quid, nows the time to buy.

My Saab was 9 grand this time last year, I reckon I would get just over half that now, so I will keep it.

I would have an MX5, never driven one but they are meant to be great, 6ft tall, 16 stone and straight, I am not proud, call me Gay but if I am enjoyng my driving then so what, lifes to short to worry about being called Gay, as I have said before, being Gay looks fun, but I just dont fancy men, I do fancy an MX5 at some point though and if I start fancying men, I will give you a shout :D

TheVoices 10 September 2008 08:56 PM

Sorry, but I believe the fancying men part becomes obligatory when you buy an MX5 ? Most rag tops are camper than a row of boy scout tents anyway !

WRXWagon. 11 September 2008 01:36 PM

You are clearly a teenager, to whom what people think matters more than life itself.

When you grow up you will drive the best whatever the small-minded think :D

lozgti 11 September 2008 01:51 PM

oops

Coffin Dodger 11 September 2008 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by WRXWagon. (Post 8121855)
Looking for a car for my daughter, an MX5.

Lots of rubbish about as usual but the point is that speaking to the owners, they have had not one single call in 99% of instances even after 6 months. And thats for a highly desirable car like a MX5!

Yeah nice one Pedro, buying it for my daughter honest http://www.hondasociety.com/board/im...milies/gay.gif

RyanSTI 11 September 2008 07:01 PM

nope its pretty dead out there, it is the time to buy though, people need to wake up to it.

TheVoices 11 September 2008 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by WRXWagon. (Post 8125221)
You are clearly a teenager, to whom what people think matters more than life itself.

When you grow up you will drive the best whatever the small-minded think :D

Actually I'm 39 and couldn't give a flying f*** what other people think, hence driving a modified Impreza not a sensible family car.

The 'best' is always a subjective phrase, I just can't think of any 'best' category the MX5 fits. It is a rip off / copy of a classic British idea but with Japanese reliability, a safe bet for people who want to follow the herd and tell people about their sports car.

Everyones definition of 'sports car' is different but the MX5 just doesn't fit mine, it isn't quick enough ! If you want a Japanese sports car (using the MX5 as a yardstick) buy the S2000 instead, at least it has a claim to the title 'sports car'.

I appear to have hit a nerve, you don't own one of these fag chariots do you ?.....................Just kidding !

nickwrxstiV2 11 September 2008 09:15 PM

Buy her my S2000! She'd like a proper sports car!!!

Honda : Honda S2000 - MY00 - 57k - FHSH - Just Serviced

CrisPDuk 11 September 2008 09:25 PM

MrsD had a Mk1 1.8iS for a couple of years :thumb:

It was easily one of the most fun cars I've ever driven, crapped all over my Scoob in the 'smiles per mile' category :cool:

stupidscooby 11 September 2008 09:29 PM

TBH mate nothing is selling, Ive got my MR2 turbo for sale in yellow(rare) brand new nur spec r, buddy club 1 alloys and yellow bilstiens (500 a set) and I cant even get a bid of a grand on ebay. No 2 seater sports cars are selling at the moment because everyone is watching the pennies and spending it on diesel golfs etc.:brickwall

slim_boy_fat 11 September 2008 10:33 PM

I have never seen the market this poor in 20 years. There is a lak of finanance available but also many people are just tighting their belts expecting this downturn to last a good few years, which it looks like doing.
Its going to get worse before it gets better.

LeeMac 11 September 2008 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by TheVoices (Post 8121955)
Sadly, yes I have driven more than one (obviously with a bag over my head) Nice handling Lotus Elan rip off which might be interesting with double the power. Can't really see the point of a 'sports car' without performance to match. Very reliable and fun however, to each their own !

And you live in Nelson!

MattOz 12 September 2008 08:26 PM

I've recently sold both my 330d and my wifes Mx-5. The market is slow, but there are buyers out there. I'm now in the market for a new car and the choice is staggeringly good. There is a massive disparity in price between similarly spec'd and aged cars, so it's best to hunt around.

I loved driving my wifes MX-5. A brilliant, fun car that made me laugh out loud on occasion. They're a great car and if you can drive properly they reward you in spades.

Matt

TheVoices 12 September 2008 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by LeeMac (Post 8126593)
And you live in Nelson!

Yeah, but the affluent end !

500 13 September 2008 07:23 AM

I had a Vauxhall Astra 1.4 SXi 55 plate and the phone hasn't stopped ringing :( it went to the second caller and first viewer on the first day it was advertised

Things are selling, it seems to be the small economical stuff with cheap tax though. New cars aren't selling I've heard from a few reliable sources.

Jamescsti 13 September 2008 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by 500 (Post 8129057)
Things are selling, it seems to be the small economical stuff with cheap tax though. New cars aren't selling I've heard from a few reliable sources.

Can confirm that, a good mate of mine works i a VW dealership, he's really struggling at the moment, especially as he is mainly commission based

Sonic' 13 September 2008 02:50 PM

I cant sell my Shogun either, been sat on the drive for 4 months, had two phone calls, and one viewing

its a 3.0 V6 Auto so at the moment I cant even give it away

nixxon 13 September 2008 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy (Post 8121923)
Seems like this is a great time in life to be renting a house/flat and cycling everywhere :D

And eating rice and lentils!:eek:

nixxon 13 September 2008 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by TheVoices (Post 8128718)
Yeah, but the affluent end !

The effluent end, if yer say it posh, like.

RobEvo5 15 September 2008 03:38 PM

Everything will sell for a price.! - Once poeple accept the arse has fallen out the market and everything equals out and people get more realistic with asking prices things will move again. Same could be said for the housing market. Dealers seem to have a better grip on prices than private sellers at the moment.

If its cheap enough, poeple will buy it.

p.s MX5's great - Best 'Drivers' car and best smiles per mile I have ever owned. Had 3 now, and would agree stock they could do with a little more power, but bolt a super charger or Turbo on and your away. I had a 240bhp stage2 turbo Mk1 MX5, and a 200bhp Mk2, and both were dangerously quick to 110mph.

Better still find one for around 3-5K that someone has already plowed there hard earned into and you have the cheapest smiles per mile motoring money will ever buy.

Andy M3 15 September 2008 03:40 PM

Stuff is selling at trade value.

Vauxhall

Cost up what you are looking at, and go in there at that bid.