ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   flamer kit (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/710799-flamer-kit.html)

j4mie08 07 September 2008 06:29 PM

flamer kit

hi can anyone help me out here. ive purchased a flamer kit for my 96 wrx.
on the instructions it says cut the earth wire on your coil. well i dont have one. as anyone fitted one of these to there scooby? and if so where is the wire hiding from me. please help my heads bursting now been trying to figure this out for 2days now.

oadamo 07 September 2008 06:52 PM

if you have the single coil packs on each plug you would have to cut the earth to all 4. just follow the wires onto the top of the engine by the multi plugs.
adam

j4mie08 07 September 2008 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by oadamo (Post 8116279)
if you have the single coil packs on each plug you would have to cut the earth to all 4. just follow the wires onto the top of the engine by the multi plugs.
adam

cheers adam. the wires seem to leed to a plug near the battery. but which one is the earth for the coil packs.

j4mie08 07 September 2008 07:21 PM

cheers adam. the wires seem to leed to a plug near the battery. but which one is the earth for the coil packs.

dazdavies 07 September 2008 07:49 PM

I'm sorry but a flamer kit is just a chavvy waste of time, waste of money accesssory.

If you want flames, mod your car properly. Decat, and more fuel etc

oadamo 07 September 2008 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by j4mie08 (Post 8116366)

hi mate its the yellow wires for the earth hope this helps.
adam

Budgie 07 September 2008 09:12 PM

dont cut any wires
you should have got a new coil
and ht lead with the kit
all you need is a power supply from the battery
a switch in the car
mount the coil in the spare wheel
run the ht lead through the drain plug hole
connect to the spark plug in the tail pipe
jobs a good one

budgie

Milamber 07 September 2008 09:58 PM

You'll need one for the ESC Tunnel Run V

oadamo 08 September 2008 12:00 AM

you get a coil in the kit but you have to cut out the cars coils so it puts all the fuel out the exhaust. rev it hard then when the engine is coming down press the button.
adam

debbiesonic 08 September 2008 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by oadamo (Post 8117107)
you get a coil in the kit but you have to cut out the cars coils so it puts all the fuel out the exhaust. rev it hard then when the engine is coming down press the button.
adam

I've never heard those instructions before, although i can see the theory behind it. But seriously, i really would'nt do it that way! Think about this, you would only ever be able to use it while parked up, otherwise the engine would stall and then you lose the power steering and servo assistance to the brakes, rather dangerous i would think.
Any i've seen fitted don't integrate with the engine wiring what so ever. They merely take +12v to a switch then onto the coil that is part of the kit. There is enough unburnt fuel from mostly all forced induction engines exiting the exhaust on overrun without the need to kill the spark.
When the switch is flicked (usually a toggle switch rather than push) The spark plug sparks away in the tailpipe at a rapid rate, as soon as fuel vapour is near it, it ignites. Hence you can leave it switched on while driving. (although that is illegal i should add). :)

Seriously though i really would'nt fit a push switch that effectively cuts your engine out, think of the fun your passengers could have with that while your driving along.

20withascooby 08 September 2008 02:45 AM

i used to have one mate never cut any wires had a earth to boot and a live to battery and to switch that was it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WaltonWRX 08 September 2008 07:29 AM

sounds like a doggy kit, i wouldn't be cutting any wires under the bonnet :eek2:

As above, power supply, earth and switch is all you should need

jonny_693 08 September 2008 09:25 AM

What a f*cking waste of time. Think of the bore wash aswell :cuckoo:

old bob 08 September 2008 12:08 PM

fitted mine bout 2 yrs ago and its powered ignition live so its sparking whole time, then just forget bout it, cutting out the cars spark is just for bigger flames in mac donalds car park, but like daz said no need if you just map in a bit of extra fuel, will flame on its own!!