ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   XP service pack 3 (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/710509-xp-service-pack-3-a.html)

myblackwrx 06 September 2008 11:15 AM

XP service pack 3

This has just come up on my updates has anyone else installed it and have there been any problems?

Cheers

Kieran_Burns 06 September 2008 12:36 PM

I rebuilt my work laptop to install SP3 (it needed a clear out anyway) and I had no issues to be honest.

We've rolled it out to a few client p.c.'s as an update as well - it broke Citrix sessions but apps and the like were fine

suba 06 September 2008 01:25 PM

so far so good on home PCs.

jaytc2003 06 September 2008 07:05 PM

ive had probs with it on my 2 home pcs (both running media centre) problems werent major just wont let me connect upto the xbox however I have other ways of doing that

mickywrx 06 September 2008 08:15 PM

I havent noticed any problems, but havent tried the PS3 online since installing the service pack.

Not sure if it would cause a problem though?

darlodge 09 September 2008 04:06 PM

We have had a quite a few problems with Service Pack 3. My address bar dissapeared from my Start Menu (it was taken away for Legal Reasons).

We have also had a lot of problems with USB devices as well. The moment a USB device is plugged in the machine blue screens. To resolve it you have to delete all the USB Hub devices from Device Manager.

Darren

jpor 09 September 2008 07:50 PM

Updated mine via the automatic update but whilst it was doing the clearing up bit at the end of the actual update it froze up. Left it for 45 minutes and no disk activity, could still use the PC as normal. In the end did a reboot and seems to be fine with SP3 installed. The system I have is a home built Shuttle XPC with Core-2-Duo CPU. Thinking on it could have been the spybot teatime that may have caused the issue.

myblackwrx 09 September 2008 08:30 PM

Well i've installed it via Auto updates and everything seems fine (at the mo)

Andy Tang 09 September 2008 09:33 PM

No issues on my work laptop, upgraded manually (downloaded the files from Microsoft) from a stock Dell XP SP2 build.

No issues on my home laptop, supplied with SP3 installed.

Milamber 09 September 2008 10:51 PM

works fine for me, no probs with any usb devices

darlodge 10 September 2008 12:04 AM

The USB driver problems are well documented but ony effect Windows XP install using the Service Pack 1 USB drivers. As soon as Service Pack 3 is installed they conflict. It's simple to remove them but it does become a problem when your workstations are USB only and have no PS/2 ports for keyboards and mice.

Darren

Granby 10 September 2008 01:06 AM

Have a problem with a firewire device (back up hard drive) and SP3, installed SP3 and the machine won't boot, disconnect the firewire hard drive and it's fine and boot normally, uninstalled SP3 and the machine boots fine with the firewire drive still connected :wonder:

darlodge 10 September 2008 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Granby (Post 8122173)
Have a problem with a firewire device (back up hard drive) and SP3, installed SP3 and the machine won't boot, disconnect the firewire hard drive and it's fine and boot normally, uninstalled SP3 and the machine boots fine with the firewire drive still connected :wonder:

That sounds like exactly the same problem we had with USB devices. Have a look here

Darren

Granby 10 September 2008 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by darlodge (Post 8122317)
That sounds like exactly the same problem we had with USB devices. Have a look here

Darren

Cheers for that, just trying to work out exactly what i need to do to sort it now :Suspiciou

STi wanna Subaru 10 September 2008 09:52 AM

No probs on my home PC.

Beefy 10 September 2008 11:43 PM

So far about 15 client PC's updated and no issues.

Nat 10 September 2008 11:55 PM

Had it ages, no probs :)