ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Home Web page keeps changing - help (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/71010-home-web-page-keeps-changing-help.html)

ScoobySnack 08 February 2002 04:45 PM

Everytime I open my Internet Explorer my home webpage changes to a crazy website..........

I go into options and change it back to my company address, but on rebooting and opening it goes back to the this stupid one...

How is this happening , how can I stop it?

J

ChrisB 08 February 2002 04:50 PM

Which website is it, assuming you care to tell? ;)

Some sites drop some code on your PC to change the home page everytime you change it back.

DJ Dunk 08 February 2002 04:53 PM

"Crazy" ? ;)

ScoobySnack 08 February 2002 04:58 PM

Web site is........

http://www.tasteless-jokes.com

How do i change or find the program that does this?

J

Dream Weaver 08 February 2002 05:06 PM

First off, try Tools > Internet Options, then enter your webpage at the top in the box provided.

If that doesnt work, you will have to run Regedit and do it manually.

Try that first.

DW :)

Dream Weaver 08 February 2002 05:09 PM

Sorry Scoobs, just re-read your post, and see you have done that.

Go to Start > Run and type in Regedit, then press ok.

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Internet Explorer > Main.

There will be a key in there called Start Page - double click it, and change the value to your web address.

DW :)

ScoobySnack 08 February 2002 05:12 PM

cheers DreamWeaver.....

I've used the Tools/ Internet / add your home webpage a few times now and it works if I shut Explorer then re-open..

However if I reboot it chooses the webpage I don't want?

Sorry to be thick , what is "regedit" :)

J

ScoobySnack 08 February 2002 05:24 PM

Cheers DreamWeaver......... it works :) :) :)

Praise be to Regedit

J

ScoobySnack 09 February 2002 11:19 AM

Spoke to soon...................

On every reboot it still goes to that webpage.....

I have checked regedit straight after rebooting without opening explorer and the web address has been changed.

This must mean on boot up there is something going on, any ideas cos I'm now in the realms of madness??

J

IanW 09 February 2002 11:26 AM

Have you been visiting those norty websites ;) One of those sites might have downloaded an app onto your PC. Make sure your AV software is uptodate and run a FULL scan on your PC covering every file. See what it comes up with.

Ian

boomer 09 February 2002 11:31 AM

SS,

Run REGEDIT and this time look in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion

(note the different start bit!) and see what is in the "Run" and "RunServices" folders.

Also check the file "C:AUTOEXEC.BAT" and "C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI" as these are all places where stuff can be executed at startup.

Be careful not to change anything unless you know what you are doing - maybe post the relevant info here and we will see if we can spot the dodgy code.

mb

ScoobySnack 10 February 2002 01:36 AM

Cheers all................

Used the last post to check my "Run" and found an instruction in my H_Key Current User that ran a .tmp file from the boot up.

Using notepad I looked at the file and yep it alter everything to that website...

PC now fine

:)

J

boomer 10 February 2002 03:14 PM

SS,

any idea what caused the problem in the first place?

Is the creation date/time on the .TMP file significant?

Just to help fix the cause, rather than the symptoms (someone has been very sneaky on your PC)!

mb

ScoobySnack 11 February 2002 12:05 PM

Yep shows Created 7th Feb at 2pm'ish........

PC was at home then , connected to a router then onto a BT ISDN line and into my corporate companies network. Possibly an email from an unknown source could have caused it?

Thanks

J

Dream Weaver 11 February 2002 03:53 PM

Or too many visits to www.massive-melons.com ;)

DW

ScoobySnack 11 February 2002 05:38 PM

Dammm Busted! :)

J

scooby nutter 11 February 2002 07:51 PM

Thats the trouble when you surf the Adult related sites,Pop ups(ahhemm),icons on the desktop,new sites added to your favorites,Well so my mate keeps on telling me!;);)