ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   why are 6 Speed Gearbox like 2 grand? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/709972-why-are-6-speed-gearbox-like-2-grand.html)

2.5STI 03 September 2008 07:49 PM

why are 6 Speed Gearbox like 2 grand?

who made up this ridculas price...

if any1 has one for sale as a kit money waiting but not 2 grand!:brickwall

bighead 03 September 2008 07:52 PM

going rate is around £1600 for a good one ...not £2k

scoobynewbie72 03 September 2008 07:53 PM

Still a lot of money as OP says

M535I 03 September 2008 08:02 PM

engine and gearboxes are a major component of the car there allways the most exspencive .im sure if you went and got a traight cut box or somthing like that built it would be alot dearer .

2.5STI 03 September 2008 08:41 PM

it seems as its impossible to get a 6 speed and bits for less that 2 grand????

cant justify 2 grand for a used box out of a crashed car?

help

chrisUK300 03 September 2008 10:29 PM

For your money your getting a pretty strong box that can take a lot of power. Compare it to the price of a PPG gearset and they look cheap :lol1:

daz1968 03 September 2008 10:35 PM

prices are all down to supply and demand an item is only worth what someone is likely to pay, but most I have seen go for upwards of £1500, and thats without the rear diff and prop.

172sport 03 September 2008 10:37 PM

Its a sellers market IMHO and i agree they are overpriced. I'm sure it will last a while longer until all the modding boys have a 6 speed and a few more late model cars get broken.

Its a relatively small market they are selling to so i expect them to come down at some point after all its only really big power classics that benefit and there worth is really very little on the open market.

simon57 03 September 2008 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by daz1968 (Post 8108214)
prices are all down to supply and demand an item is only worth what someone is likely to pay, but most I have seen go for upwards of £1500, and thats without the rear diff and prop.

As above.. people are willing to pay this price of £2000 upwards so thats what people will flog em at...

love to get one myself.and may need one sooner than later..but not happy with the asking price..:(

Midlife...... 03 September 2008 10:57 PM

I broke two WRX 5 speed boxes in a few months after my last mods........cheapest alternative to spending 5 grand a year LOL

In a few years time there will be more floating around so the price will drop :D

Shaun

debbiesonic 04 September 2008 02:04 AM

And in the meantime we can keep fitting 5 speeders every 6 month at a couple of hundred quid a pop. By my reckoning i can keep changing them at this interval for 5 years for what a 6 speed costs.
By that time i'm hoping the 6 speed is dirt cheap :lol1:

debbiesonic 04 September 2008 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 8108269)
I broke two WRX 5 speed boxes in a few months after my last mods........cheapest alternative to spending 5 grand a year LOL

In a few years time there will be more floating around so the price will drop :D

Shaun

Don't drive it so often Shaun ;)

Jam Performance 04 September 2008 04:08 AM

6 speed boxes

DCCD JDM 6 speeders complete with diff, prop and linkage will go for £2k + , the UK 6 speed boxes tend to be cheaper but just as strong - prices are high due to the price of the ppg 5 speed kits going sky high hence everyone is going 6 speeders now

banny sti 04 September 2008 01:16 PM

I got lucky and paid £450 for mine :)

Banny

cookstar 04 September 2008 01:23 PM

I'll be swopping my straight cut PPG for a 6 speeder soon.

banny sti 04 September 2008 01:28 PM

Cookie any particular reason you are doing that, I was thinking of going the other way.

Banny

cookstar 04 September 2008 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by banny sti (Post 8109203)
Cookie any particular reason you are doing that, I was thinking of going the other way.

Banny

The straight cut is a bit noisy, I want to have a bit more of a refined drive, and just fancy a change.

war1974 04 September 2008 01:52 PM

personally have found all scooby boxes expensive i got mine recondition for less than most people wanted for 2nd hand ones!!
also claims of never driven hard etc make me laugh!!

Peanuts 04 September 2008 02:02 PM

6 speed boxes are like 2 grand man because they're like 5 grand man from FHI.
also desirable is the dccd and 3.9 diffs from jdm which is why man JDM is like whoa more expensive that ukdm.
man
:)

The rookie 04 September 2008 04:19 PM

Its simply called supply and demand, all the time all the 6 speeders that come available sell for £2K, why would you sell one for £1K? Likewise if no-one paid more than £1K then the price would drop to that, but many are prepared to pay £2K!

The old adage is true, its worth what someone is prepared to pay!

Simon

APIDavid 04 September 2008 04:47 PM

In the past APi has been accused of being expensive for 6 speeders, but remember this;

We sell with a 6 months no quibble warranty.

We supply a kit which along with the actual gearbox includes:

Front drive shaft stumps - usually missing.
With all the clutch operating mechanism
With gear lever and selector assembly
With prop shaft
With mounting X member.

I have lost count of the number of people who have bought a 6 speeder from either a forum or Ebay or a bloke off the net and have got just the box for between £1000 and £1500.

Then they come on to people like us, or Grade A, or HDC looking for:

A clutch fork [ £75.00 ] from Subaru.

OR The anti surge bracket [ different on a 6 speeder - Subaru supply only ]

OR The selector set and gear lever - Well over £300 from Subaru or even Prodrive. We had a set come in from a fire damaged car - the bushes and cable alone was £280.00 .

OR the stump shafts £75.00 a pair from me, when I have them. God knows how much from Subaru.

Or prop shaft, YES I know it can be done by using an auto prop. BUT all turbo auto's are imports and there aren't that many being broken. Incidentally a GC8 auto prop will not be correct if you try to fit it to a GDA car, [01 on WRX ] as the centre mount position changes and you end up with a prop with a dog leg in it. [ It must be as straight as possible ]

So the box which looked cheap and is missing all sorts of stuff to make it fit and then crunches in 4th and 5th once fitted. May not turn out to be so cheap once actually in the car.

Subaru have now come up with modified synchro cones for 4th 5th and 6th to stop the common problem of crunching which does afflict 6 speeders. They now have a sort of coating on the friction face to help it grip better and last longer.

David APi

Agents for Simtek, the most exciting new Ecu for years

New_scooby_04 04 September 2008 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by APIDavid (Post 8109646)
In the past APi has been accused of being expensive for 6 speeders, but remember this;

With prop shaft
With mounting X member.

I have lost count of the number of people who have bought a 6 speeder from either a forum or Ebay or a bloke off the net and have got just the box for between £1000 and £1500.

OR The selector set and gear lever - Well over £300 from Subaru or even Prodrive. We had a set come in from a fire damaged car - the bushes and cable alone was £280.00 .

OR the stump shafts £75.00 a pair from me, when I have them. God knows how much from Subaru.

Or prop shaft, YES I know it can be done by using an auto prop. BUT all turbo auto's are imports and there aren't that many being broken. Incidentally a GC8 auto prop will not be correct if you try to fit it to a GDA car, [01 on WRX ] as the centre mount position changes and you end up with a prop with a dog leg in it. [ It must be as straight as possible ]

So the box which looked cheap and is missing all sorts of stuff to make it fit and then crunches in 4th and 5th once fitted. May not turn out to be so cheap once actually in the car.

Subaru have now come up with modified synchro cones for 4th 5th and 6th to stop the common problem of crunching which does afflict 6 speeders. They now have a sort of coating on the friction face to help it grip better and last longer.

David APi

It's the usual: get the job done right, pay once scenario, then! :thumb:

hmhaga 05 September 2008 10:43 AM

I bought a 03 JDM 6MT from API 3.5 years ago. All complete, no problems - now had an additional 100.000 km and a lot of track days - well worth the money I'd say! :)

BTW: The JDM gearboxes usually don't develop the 5th gear crunch due to their higher gearing - not such a big jump from 4th gear. I also believe they have stronger shifter forks.

2.5STI 05 September 2008 10:48 AM

boycott them all i say.

cheaper 6 speeds for the win!

hoskib 05 September 2008 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by The rookie (Post 8109586)
Its simply called supply and demand, all the time all the 6 speeders that come available sell for £2K, why would you sell one for £1K? Likewise if no-one paid more than £1K then the price would drop to that, but many are prepared to pay £2K!

The old adage is true, its worth what someone is prepared to pay!

Simon

what a shame we don't have the same attitude when it comes to selling the whole car;)

Fai17 05 September 2008 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by banny sti (Post 8109156)
I got lucky and paid £450 for mine :)

Banny

Lucky sod!!:eek2:

APIDavid 09 September 2008 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by hmhaga (Post 8111116)
I bought a 03 JDM 6MT from API 3.5 years ago. All complete, no problems - now had an additional 100.000 km and a lot of track days - well worth the money I'd say! :)

BTW: The JDM gearboxes usually don't develop the 5th gear crunch due to their higher gearing - not such a big jump from 4th gear. I also believe they have stronger shifter forks.

Hans-Martin, How are you? long time no speak, as we say here.

The bugeye 6 speed STi's have steel forks and so do any Spec C RA - but otherwise blob eye 6 speed boxes have alloy forks.

We have as many JDM 6 speeders crunching as we do UK/Euro types. It is more to do with synchro strength than the ratio of the gear in my opinion.

Goos luck all David APi

Matt_Davies 09 September 2008 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by APIDavid (Post 8109646)

With prop shaft
With mounting X member.

David APi

Accused of being expensive . . . So a UK 6 speed box supplied and fitted to a classic costs how much then David ??

Matt.

APIDavid 10 September 2008 09:18 AM

£2100.00 + VAT with a 6 months / 6000 miles whichever sooner warranty.

David

scoobynewbie72 10 September 2008 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by APIDavid (Post 8122376)
£2100.00 + VAT with a 6 months / 6000 miles whichever sooner warranty.

David

You can buy a car for that lol