ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   End of the World on Sept. 10th (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/709458-end-of-the-world-on-sept-10th.html)

Spyd 01 September 2008 11:53 AM

End of the World on Sept. 10th

SCIENTISTS are trying to stop the most powerful experiment ever – saying the black holes it will create could destroy the world.

Dubbed by some the Doomsday test, it will be carried out next week in the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), located 300ft underground near the French-Swiss border.

The machine is 17 miles long and cost £4.4billion to create. When its switch is pulled on September 10, this atom-smasher will become a virtual time machine, revealing what happened when the universe came into existence 14 billion years ago. New particles of matter are expected to be discovered, new dimensions found beyond the four known, as scientists re-create conditions in the first BILLIONTHS of a second after the Big Bang.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/a...84_568795a.jpg

The atom smasher ... the 17-mile-long machine that some fear will destroy our planet. Experts even predict that millions of tiny black holes will be produced — baby brothers of the monsters gobbling up dust and stars at the heart of the galaxies.

Secrets

That is why boffins are now trying to stop the project with a last-ditch challenge in the courts. They fear the LHC experimenters are tinkering with the unknown and putting mankind — and our whole planet — at risk.

The group responsible for the experiment, the European Nuclear Research Centre (CERN), says that these mini black holes will vanish as quickly as they are created. But the anti-CERN brigade accuse the scientists of playing God, warning that no one can guarantee that the black holes will not survive, rapidly growing in size to suck the Earth out of existence in an instant. But CERN, which includes several UK scientists, say their work is vital to unlock the secrets of matter that forms everything known in the universe. In the experiment, atomic particles will be fired in opposite directions along the 17-mile long underground ring — the length of the Circle Line on the London Underground.

They will travel so fast that they make 11,245 trips around the tunnel every SECOND. From the collisions, boffins expect to discover a fundamental bit of the atom, called the Higgs boson, that is expected to exist but which has never been seen.

Professor Otto Rossler, from the Eberhard Karls University of Tubingen in Germany, is one of the scientists mounting the legal challenge at the European Court of Human Rights against 20 countries which are funding the project.

He said: “It is quite plausible that these little black holes will survive and will grow and eat the planet from the inside out.”

A CERN spokesman said: “It will not be producing anything that does not already happen routinely in nature.”
:wonder:

(apologies if this is a re-post, looked at the last 2 pages and couldn't see any topics related to this)

TelBoy 01 September 2008 11:54 AM

At least France will be the first to disappear. :)

New_scooby_04 01 September 2008 11:57 AM

Even a black hole wouldn't take the French, Tel! ;) :D

I'm sorry, but if that machine cost 4.4 billion quid, they're damn well gonna test it or it would become the second biggest waste of money since the Dome! :D

Ns04

Odds on 01 September 2008 12:00 PM

£4.4billion, to have a chance of getting rid of France, is quite a good deal I reckon. :thumb:

stilover 01 September 2008 12:00 PM

No need for me to pay that huge credit card bill now then. :thumb:

Spend it all on drugs, Booze, and whore's for the next 10 days. :)

AndyC_772 01 September 2008 12:00 PM

We all have to die some day... can anyone think of a cooler way to go than to be sucked into a black hole?

SJ_Skyline 01 September 2008 12:00 PM

On the plus side, if it does destroy the world there is no chance of Gordon Brown getting re-elected :thumb:

stilover 01 September 2008 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by AndyC_772 (Post 8102447)
We all have to die some day... can anyone think of a cooler way to go than to be sucked into a black hole?

Dunno, depends on what she looked like. ;)

TelBoy 01 September 2008 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by AndyC_772 (Post 8102447)

How about being sucked by a black hole, even Jodie Marsh couldn't compete with that...

Leslie 01 September 2008 12:08 PM

I think they are right to be concerned about the possible effects of this experiment. They are messing about with something that they do not fully understand and I feel that it must be dangerous to get that close to the "big bang"

All this business about it being vital to know about what happened so close to the actual start of the origin is not really true, unless they want to risk having yet another one! The should be honest enough to say that they just dont know what could happen if they do it.

Les

Kieran_Burns 01 September 2008 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 8102453)
Dunno, depends on what she looked like. ;)

that is so wrong and so funny :D

Shark Man 01 September 2008 12:13 PM

I'm flying on 9/11

I had the choice of 9/10

But 9/11 was cheaper (for obvious reasons)...think it might be the right choice...don't want the plane dropping out the sky when this thing gets switched on :eek:

PeteBrant 01 September 2008 12:18 PM

The LHC coming online is quite exciting if you have a passing intest in physics. As well as the Higgs Boson, it *should* confirm the existance of the graviton, which would go some way to the holy grail of a unified theory.

Leslie 01 September 2008 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 8102496)
The LHC coming online is quite exciting if you have a passing intest in physics. As well as the Higgs Boson, it *should* confirm the existance of the graviton, which would go some way to the holy grail of a unified theory.

Is it worth the risk though!

Les

PeteBrant 01 September 2008 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8102539)

Les

I don't beleive there is a risk.

New_scooby_04 01 September 2008 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8102539)

Les

Repeat: if it does go tits up, France will be the first to go, Les.

Apparently, even physics bods have a sense of humour! :D

That said, Oppenheimer was reputed to say to reporters covering the Trinity project words to the effect of, "I want one of three reports from you people: we succeed and detonate the A bomb, we fail and are laughing stocks, or we inadvertantly ignite the atmosphere and wipe out all life on earth!" :lol1:

New_scooby_04 01 September 2008 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 8102543)
I don't beleive there is a risk.

In space, no one can feed you lentils, Pete! ;) :D

sherlock 01 September 2008 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Shark Man (Post 8102482)
I'm flying on 9/11

I had the choice of 9/10

But 9/11 was cheaper (for obvious reasons)...think it might be the right choice...don't want the plane dropping out the sky when this thing gets switched on :eek:

But it will all be over by the 9 Nov?? lol

NotoriousREV 01 September 2008 12:52 PM

The risk analysis goes something like this:

If it works, there was no risk
If we say it's too risky we've wasted £4.4bn and we get our asses kicked
If it doesn't work, we're all dead so there's no come-uppance

Let's say there's no risk ;)

Leslie 01 September 2008 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV (Post 8102581)
The risk analysis goes something like this:

If it works, there was no risk
If we say it's too risky we've wasted £4.4bn and we get our asses kicked
If it doesn't work, we're all dead so there's no come-uppance

Let's say there's no risk ;)

Well I don't share the feelings in the last bit. Look what was created from what we are told was a pea sized piece of super dense material!

I honestly think it is pushing it getting that close to the big bang. I sincerely hope that Pete Brant is right.

Les

speedking 01 September 2008 12:59 PM

A CERN spokesman said: “It will not be producing anything that does not already happen routinely in nature.”

In that case why not look at the naturally occurring phenomena rather than spend £4.4bn :confused:

SwissTony 01 September 2008 01:00 PM

But I havent finished telling all my jokes from my 1978 '1001 Best Jokes' book :cry:

TelBoy 01 September 2008 01:02 PM

Can we bring the date forward? :wonder:

Odds on 01 September 2008 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by speedking (Post 8102600)

In that case why not look at the naturally occurring phenomena rather than spend £4.4bn :confused:

This is the 'microscope', if you like, that will let them do that.

I don't think you can beat a bit of publicity personally, good or bad. :thumb:

AndyC_772 01 September 2008 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8102463)
They are messing about with something that they do not fully understand

Isn't that the very definition of 'an experiment'?

HankScorpio 01 September 2008 01:04 PM

"suck the Earth out of existence in an instant"

at least it won't hurt

TelBoy 01 September 2008 01:07 PM

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Let's get this unified theory cracked, debunk religion once and for all into the bargain and move on. All upside from where i'm sitting.

Scoobychick 01 September 2008 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 8102636)
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Let's get this unified theory cracked, debunk religion once and for all into the bargain and move on. All upside from where i'm sitting.

:luxhello:Sounds good to me, I think it's all quite exciting. Imagine getting to play with it? It's like the world's biggest gadget :thumb:

TelBoy 01 September 2008 01:12 PM

Filth :mad:

Steve vRS 01 September 2008 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 8102636)

Nice idea but as religion is based on "faith", no amount of proof will displace it.

Steve