ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Screws, nails and other punctures waiting to happen (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/709068-screws-nails-and-other-punctures-waiting-to-happen.html)

corradoboy 30 August 2008 12:32 AM

Screws, nails and other punctures waiting to happen

I was killing time whilst a client was out on test and sauntered up the road a few hundred yards, then back down the other side. In that short distance I managed to collect 17 nails and screws from the roadside :eek: Don't road sweepers have a big electro-magnet on them any more :wonder: and are builders tires puncture-proof, hence why they obviously DGAS when they load their vans :mad: Ever since I've kept my eyes peeled whenever I'm on foot at the roadside, and I find many every time :razz:

We could all do each other a favor and keep our eyes open when there's nothing else to do whilst walking anywhere.

Bubba po 30 August 2008 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 8098806)
builders tires

builders' tyres.

HTH.

Shark Man 30 August 2008 12:58 AM

Fortunately, stuff usually falls off the back of builder's wagons/vans. So their tyres are fine :)

Talking of punctures, I have a tyre from a women's car in the workshop...been driven with a flat tyre for fook knows how long without noticing. There is about half a bucket's worth of loose rubber marbles inside of it. :eek:

I wonder if the average woman knows what a blow-out is. Bet most think its a form of fellatio. :Suspiciou

corradoboy 30 August 2008 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bubba po (Post 8098816)
builders' tyres.

HTH.

Thanks, pedant :brickwall

Originally Posted by Shark Man (Post 8098843)
from a women's car

Another one for you :rolleyes:

SwissTony 30 August 2008 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 8098806)
We could all do each other a favor and keep our eyes open when there's nothing else to do whilst walking anywhere.

But we would be busy doing some 'walking' :D

Shark Man 31 August 2008 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 8098895)
Thanks, pedant :brickwall

Another one for you :rolleyes:

The difference between me and you, is that I'm on his boring/ignore user list - it has its advantages :smug:

Abdabz 31 August 2008 03:51 PM

Ah yes, these "invisible to the eye whilst driving" hazards are exactly why the 130mph at 2am on a straight motoryway on a clear night brigade should near extinction by the year 2010...
Apparantly though, the faster you drive the less chance of a puncture from these spikey things :lol1:

dunx 31 August 2008 04:43 PM

At least CB has jar after jar of screws, nails, nuts and bolts, etc in his shed....

LOL

DunxC

robby 31 August 2008 05:15 PM

We had the roofers in a few weeks ago to replace the flat roof part of the house (felt roofing).
They said they'd clear up afterwards which was reasuring but when they'd left i had to get the sweeping brush out which i'm glad i did as i fouund 15 of the felt tacks/ nails on the drive :(

Why can't people be more careful or make sure they tidy up properly.....

Henrik 31 August 2008 06:28 PM

I've had *five* nails through my tyres this year only.

Twice in the subaru, two nails in one tyre in the saab at the same time and once on the wife's clio. It's cost me 125 quid so far to fix the damage (had to replace the saab tyre as one nail was too far towards the side to be fixed).

Over the years, I've had to fix the subaru tyres three times, and i've only done 27k in it.

Shark Man 31 August 2008 08:30 PM

I only get punctures just after I buy new tyres.

£450 lighter on the wallet, the next day driving down a country back road /rabbit run. I encounter a severe wobbly moment round a set of S- bends.

After arriving at my destination and checking my underwear, I then checked my tyes. All looked ok, but the back near-side tyre looked a "little" low. Got the pressure guage on it and it read 4psi :mad:
Then I noted a nail just on the edge of the side wall. Great, thats £112 down the drain :rolleyes:

Week later...guess what? Yup, another one. This time it was repairable though :)