ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Vulcan XH588 (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/709035-vulcan-xh588.html)

Removed. 29 August 2008 08:40 PM

Vulcan XH588

I know some people will find it sad, but I'm so fooking chuffed I decided to take the 11th of Sept off. It's our annual air display here, and I've just found out that the Vulcan will be making an appearance:luxhello: :luxhello: :luxhello: :luxhello:

I can't wait to feel it fly over, and yes I DO mean feel, if it's anything like the last time a Vulcan was here:D

Never mind the Eurofighter, Harrier, BBMF, gimme delta wing baby!

Myles 29 August 2008 08:56 PM

I heard from a reliable source that it is knackered at the mo. Can anyone can confirm this?

alpha charlie 29 August 2008 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by mylesthegreat(not!) (Post 8098334)
I heard from a reliable source that it is knackered at the mo. Can anyone can confirm this?

I saw it out on the pan at Waddington earlier in the week, not seen it in the air recently but will keeps my eyes and ears open
AC:)

Myles 29 August 2008 09:18 PM

I heard it was at Brize this week, in the hangar being worked on.

ricardo 29 August 2008 09:25 PM

It was supposed to be at Bournemouth this weekend, but that's cancelled now.

RON 29 August 2008 09:25 PM

It was scheduled to be at Dunsfold last sunday, ... no show due to landing gear issues....

Also scheduled to be at Bournemouth tomorrow..... no show due to ,,..... technical issues....

Good luck seeing it on the 12th...LOL!!!

Removed. 29 August 2008 09:46 PM

Oh fart buckets:razz: Well William, they better fix it quick or I'll scream and scream and scream until I'm sick:(

dome 30 August 2008 01:40 AM

Am planning on travelling up to Leuchars to see it there, kinda guessed it might be a bit hit and miss tho :(

Here's hoping it makes it tho, would love to see one flying again.

Scoobychick 30 August 2008 08:44 AM

I'm also going up to Leuchars to see it, fingers crossed :thumb:

Leslie 30 August 2008 10:46 AM

I hope its not a problem with one of the undercarriage legs. The Vulcans were individually hand built at Shorts and a replacement U/C leg used to have to be specially made up so that it would fit. No way to do that any more!

Les :(

Leslie 30 August 2008 11:39 AM

It turns out that it is a problem with the retraction gear on the undercarriage which can be repaired easily enough but they could not do the job as it should be done properly in the time available. It will be fixed though.

Les :)

m1cks 30 August 2008 04:35 PM

Just got back from Shoreham air show where it was meant to be flying today but didn't make it. Eurofighter was :cool: though

Best bit was they still had a stand for it asking for donations.

Removed. 30 August 2008 04:40 PM

Oh I hope so, it must be my age but planes like the Vulcan, Victor, Vampire, Lightning are much more interesting to me than some of the newest stuff, as impressive as they are. I guess it's what I grew up with. Maybe it's the fact that they aren't mainstream if you see what I mean, then you get aircraft like the F111 'vark, or the A10 Warthog. I wonder if this is the aviation equivalent of liking Scoobys, the whole, want something different kind of thing:wonder:

Anyhoo, Vulcan or not, I'll enjoy the airshow.

Leslie 31 August 2008 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by m1cks (Post 8099629)
Just got back from Shoreham air show where it was meant to be flying today but didn't make it. Eurofighter was :cool: though

Best bit was they still had a stand for it asking for donations.

They have not got a major sponsor yet-not easy to find in the current economic climate, so they are mainly reliant on donations to keep it flying.

Les

samcowrx 31 August 2008 09:35 PM

I live in brize norton, i saw it parked up last monday outside a hangar, not seen it since, hopefully it will be ok.

Turbo2 05 September 2008 08:33 AM

It flew over our house in East Northants at about 7 o'clock last night in a North Easterly direction :thumb: . Cruising fairly steadily (maybe 200 knots) with gear up at a lowish altitude of about 4000 - 5000ft I reckon. Not to loud at that speed. I'd forgotten how amazing the big Delta looks when it's overhead.

Luminous 05 September 2008 01:25 PM

I really want to see one of these again. I still remember the thump in my chest from the engines when I saw one at a show when I were a little lad :thumb: Awesome piece of kit :)

Leslie 05 September 2008 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo2 (Post 8110836)
It flew over our house in East Northants at about 7 o'clock last night in a North Easterly direction :thumb: . Cruising fairly steadily (maybe 200 knots) with gear up at a lowish altitude of about 4000 - 5000ft I reckon. Not to loud at that speed. I'd forgotten how amazing the big Delta looks when it's overhead.

If the gear was up then they must have mended it. Thats a good sign

Les :)

BOB.T 05 September 2008 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8111639)
If the gear was up then they must have mended it.

Today's prize for stating the bleedin obvious goes to......

:D

Nat 05 September 2008 05:00 PM

Going to see her again at Duxford on Sunday :)

Removed. 05 September 2008 05:54 PM

:luxhello: WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:luxhello:

Myles 05 September 2008 06:40 PM

Doing a flypast tomorrow at Brize Norton Party in the Park at some point, so I heard. All good for Airshows in the near future.

samcowrx 05 September 2008 06:58 PM

I live in brize so will keep an eye out for that, hopefully the weather wont be as bad as today!

Simon C 05 September 2008 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Nat21 (Post 8112035)
Going to see her again at Duxford on Sunday :)

Oooo I'm under the flight path for Duxford, camera on standby.

Leslie 06 September 2008 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by BOB.T (Post 8111686)
Today's prize for stating the bleedin obvious goes to......

:D

Your scintillating wit is gutbustingly impressive. :)

The point of my post was that if it still had a problem then they would have flown it back to base with the undercarriage down. Since it was retracted they must have managed to repair it and so those hoping to see it at air displays soon will not be disappointed. Not too difficult to work out!

Les

Alg 06 September 2008 12:30 PM

Does anyone know whether it will fly on Sat or Sunday at Duxford?
Or maybe both days? The Duxford website just lists an "appearance" list of planes but no schedule.
Last time I saw one fly was at Brands Hatch just before Nigel Mansell won the British Grand Prix and i'd love to see it again.
I live in Newmarket so don't mind getting to Duxford but i'll be cycling part of the way and don't want to get rained on for nothing.
Thanks

Myles 06 September 2008 03:03 PM

Its in the air now!

Nat 06 September 2008 03:15 PM

Is it flying from Duxford Sat and Sun or just displaying there?

samcowrx 06 September 2008 04:06 PM

i have just been watching it flying over my house, about 6 times, in brize norton, some serious banking and climbing going on! its now parked up on the base.

Alg 06 September 2008 04:14 PM

Well I took a chance and it paid off.
What an amazing sight and amazing sound.
I'm going to watch it tomorrow also.:thumb: