ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Jerry Springer on "Who do you think you are" (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/708712-jerry-springer-on-who-do-you-think-you-are.html)

scooby L 28 August 2008 11:10 AM

Jerry Springer on "Who do you think you are"

Made me feel sick....

I've never really read up on all the facts of the holocaust, but I felt I understood the persicution the Jews endured in the 2nd world war, but to see the history of a Jewish family dating back to the mid 1800's and to see the racisim and bullying they recieved even back then.

The gas vans were..well... animals would be better treated

Talk about barbaric.

:(

FlightMan 28 August 2008 11:12 AM

Very moving show, had me in tears 2 or 3 times.

lozgti 28 August 2008 11:19 AM

It was very moving.

As he said,we weren't talking about something barbaric about 600 years ago.These atrocities were only 60 years ago.

It was horrific

scooby L 28 August 2008 11:28 AM

The part when the cousin was recalling her teachers not using her name, just Jew, and that people spat at her in the street... she must have only been in her teens?...

I'm all for let bye-gones be bye-gones.... but the way I felt about the populatin of Germany after that episode, no wonder some WWII Jews can never forgive them.

Lee247 28 August 2008 11:37 AM

Did not see the programme, but Schindlers List had a similar effect on me. I cried buckets :(

scooby L 28 August 2008 11:37 AM

Sorry dpb I wasn't aware this thread was a cue for a joke?

that's a tasteless post.

Ted Maul 28 August 2008 11:42 AM

why 49?

ps - makes you wonder what type of person you are to put in a joke like that at this point in the thread, after what the people had said above. I can't comprehend the process your brain must have gone through.

fivetide 28 August 2008 12:01 PM

Visiting these places Auschwitz etc is a great thing. That said, Germany is a nice country, go visit and don't blame the people that live there now for what happened in the past.

It's the same as a black person looking down on you because of Britain's colonies and involvement in the slave trade.

5t.

j4ckos mate 28 August 2008 12:02 PM

AW MATE, thats a littlbe un called for can it be deleted?

dpb 28 August 2008 12:05 PM

well its nice to see the infraction system used sensibly,for once :thumb:

Blue by You 28 August 2008 12:08 PM

I found the most moving part of the programme was the sculpture at the station showing the imprints of hands reaching up.
I don't think many of us can appreciate what genocide and mass bullying by the state can feel like.

Trouble is, it's still going on in some places.

The Trooper 1815 28 August 2008 12:13 PM

I have had the privilege and misfortune to visit Bergen-Belsen.
Privileged to know we must remember and the misfortune of knowing it happened.

Utter shock. I read about it, saw the old World at War series but when you get there, nothing prepares you.

Top prig by the Beeb.

scooby L 28 August 2008 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by fivetide (Post 8095145)
Visiting these places Auschwitz etc is a great thing. That said, Germany is a nice country, go visit and don't blame the people that live there now for what happened in the past.

It's the same as a black person looking down on you because of Britain's colonies and involvement in the slave trade.

5t.

I agree 100%, my post was to convey that after that episode, even I had trouble liking the German nation ...let alone Jew's who actually lost relitives etc...

I'd love to go to Germany... just not today...;)

Scoobychick 28 August 2008 12:23 PM

It was on in the background whilst I was doing something else but I recorded it as it seemed to be one of those programmes to sit down and concentrate on. It's the sort of thing that you need to be feeling strong to watch, I find the whole holocaust thing just too horrible to take in sometimes. It astonishes me that another human being can put their fellow kind through such suffering :(

David Lock 28 August 2008 12:28 PM

I found it a very depressing programme.

Now without trying to get into a heavy debate is there a sensible historian on here that can say why the Jews were so hated? Was it just because they were anti-Christ? There must have been other reasons? dl

TelBoy 28 August 2008 12:30 PM

WikiAnswers - Why did Hitler and the Nazis hate the Jews and kill them

cster 28 August 2008 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 8095198)
I found it a very depressing programme.

Now without trying to get into a heavy debate is there a sensible historian on here that can say why the Jews were so hated? Was it just because they were anti-Christ? There must have been other reasons? dl

I think being different is good enough reason for some:freak3:
BTW Christ means nothing to a Jew one way or the other.

David Lock 28 August 2008 12:46 PM

Thank you for that. An interesting read and reveals a complicated background centering on Hitler's absolute hatred blaming the Jews for everything that went wrong in Germany including defeat in WW1. Also a jealousy that Jews were so successful in many areas of business, which they still are of course. dl

Simon C 28 August 2008 12:54 PM

I saw the prog and I must admit to having a lump in my throat a few times.

I have been to Germany and Austria (92) and they try to distance themselves from what happend back then, don't slate people or a nation for whats happend in the past, after all we invented concentration camps in South Africa.

I loved the time I spent over there in Bravaria (heart of the reich) and they deplor what happened then, infact I'm going back in Dec this year and again in July 2010 (Zell Um See) and I look forward to it.

I read a relations diary about his time in the Army in Germany in WW2 and his experiances and thoughts of seeing a concentration camp as an Allied troop. Jees, not something I want to reread.

The Belarus people have a saying "if you keep 1 eye on the past, you are blind in 1 eye, if you keep both eyes on the past you are blind in both eyes"

dpb 28 August 2008 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by fivetide (Post 8095145)

5t.

Except that our involvement went on for decades and decades and decades

- in fact we built a nation on it !

mrtheedge2u2 28 August 2008 01:06 PM

when is this reshown?

lozgti 28 August 2008 01:07 PM

I don't dislike Germans or Germany at all.

I'm just shocked at how people could be so swayed by someone to carry out these atrocities.

If it happened in this country today,do you really think that you could shoot a child in the head.Indeed,even if you were a soldier,could you really carry out cold bloodied murder?

Makes me shudder.The writhing pits image always gets me.The pits they shoved people in who had been shot and then shovelled soil over the top.If you didn't die you had to fight through corpses to get out.Hence they used to say the covered pits actually used to move.

How could people do these things:(

mrtheedge2u2 28 August 2008 01:08 PM

I lived for 8 years in Bergen... and visited Bergen-Belson many times...... a very moving place..... lots of large heaped flower beds that are simply mass graves.

The Chief 28 August 2008 01:16 PM

My old fella was born in Austria and is an Austrian Jew (if that makes any sense) whilst taking the p*** out of Jews a few years ago my Dad told me his Grandad was in Bergen-Belson, the only reason he got out alive is he was a sought after engineer, this guy came out weighing less than 7 stone:(

I never realised my ancestory consisted of Jews in concentration camps.

Needless to say i shut the f*** up there and then.

chocolate_o_brian 28 August 2008 01:24 PM

I've just downloaded this off Youtube in 6 segments. Will definately watch this later or tomorrow. Sounds like a fascinating insight and very good viewing.

TelBoy 28 August 2008 01:27 PM

It makes you wonder how some people can still deny the holocaust ever happened....

RB5_245 28 August 2008 01:35 PM

Antisemitism has been rife throughout European history, largely because they were a distinct, easily identifiable group, who refused to integrate.
That and being stereotypically successful makes them Jews to hate as a race. It's not just European history, it's throughout history and will continue in the future.

A person is clever, people are stupid. If the tabloids started badmouthing Jews anti-Semitism would spread like wildfire :(

Julio Jordio 28 August 2008 01:36 PM

As above Chief, my grandfather's parents fled Russia as they were Jews and wanted to try and escape the persecution. They were Jewellers and settled in London. To know that my ancestors had to go through something so horrowing, is terrible. My Grandfather used to cry as he spoke about it which was very rarely. Lots of family members did not make it here.

TelBoy 28 August 2008 02:03 PM

Sorry if this is a nonsense question, but is it just a coincidence that the word jewel starts with the same three letters? Is there a historical connection? After all, many many Jews are involved in the diamond business, no?

PeteBrant 28 August 2008 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 8095398)
Sorry if this is a nonsense question, but is it just a coincidence that the word jewel starts with the same three letters? Is there a historical connection? After all, many many Jews are involved in the diamond business, no?

A quick google reveals that...

The word jewellery is derived from the word jewel, which was anglicised from the Old French "jouel" in around the 13th century. Further tracing leads back to the Latin word "jocale", meaning plaything