ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   looking for a heavier knob.. (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/707635-looking-for-a-heavier-knob.html)

SamUK 22 August 2008 02:00 PM

looking for a heavier knob..

Where can i get a weighted Gear Knob? something little move heavier then the Prodrive one?

chocolate_o_brian 22 August 2008 02:04 PM

Wouldn't a heavier gearstick put undue extra pressure on the gear syncro's? As per driving with your hand on the gearknob supposedly does the same?:wonder:

monotokpoint 22 August 2008 02:05 PM

was going to offer you something else. oh well...

SamUK 22 August 2008 02:11 PM

i bought one from the states for my M5..and it helped allot in shifting...just cant remember the name of the company...

jonny_693 22 August 2008 03:22 PM

It'll f*ck your gear linkages up ;)

SamUK 22 August 2008 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by JONNY_693 (Post 8084635)
It'll f*ck your gear linkages up ;)

Im talking about a gear knob..the round little thing on top of the shaft...!

So can anyone here actally telll me if one exists for the subaru?

Midlife...... 22 August 2008 03:52 PM

I've got quite a heavy g-Reddy one sat on top of the fridge at home for a bugeye....I'll stick it on our kitchen scales tonight :D

Shaun

SamUK 22 August 2008 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 8084689)
I've got quite a heavy g-Reddy one sat on top of the fridge at home for a bugeye....I'll stick it on our kitchen scales tonight :D

Shaun

you got a pic?

Midlife...... 22 August 2008 04:26 PM

Not on me.......I'm sneakilly using a work PC, I'll take one tonight :D

Shaun

Midlife...... 22 August 2008 07:38 PM

Just went to look for the knob and it's gone off the top of the fridge........part of the wife's fiendish plot to tidy the house to improve the chances of selling it (the house that is) LOL.

I can't ask her where she has put it because the local mum's are out at the pictures watching "Mama Mia", the sing along version.....wine cunningly hidden in opaque lucozade bottles !!

I'll have a hunt when the kids are in bed, you could also PM Stalked! , I bought it from him then went and swapped for a 6 speed box :D

Cheers

Shaun

monotokpoint 22 August 2008 09:18 PM

come on Shuan, we are all waiting, show us your knob

Midlife...... 22 August 2008 09:27 PM

I just need my wife to tell me where to find it........to me it's completely unmissable given what I think of it's size and weight :D :D

monotokpoint 22 August 2008 10:19 PM

its on top of the fridge! oh, is that knob you were thinking i was talking about. oops, sorry! ;)

wiley 22 August 2008 10:45 PM

i have a momo which is quite weighty

POTN - If you are looking for an Momo Sphere - Black Leather Gearknob (M15514301111) click here Momo

wiley

Midlife...... 22 August 2008 11:06 PM

Wife denies all knowlege of removing Knob and says........... "it's in the garage" :(

Might as well be in a Black hole :(

I have a Momo Air thingy as well but it's rattling around the bottom of the car somewhere as the "build quaility" is pi$$ poor LOL

...........looks like I have to search the garage tomorrow !!

Shaun

SqeekyMclean 22 August 2008 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by SamUK (Post 8084481)
Where can i get a weighted Gear Knob? something little move heavier then the Prodrive one?

Looking for a heavier knob.. You could plonk GC8 on your shaft! :thumb:

fezza 22 August 2008 11:11 PM

got a greddy/trust one from fleabay in us, about £18 delivered, much better and feels heafty too. HTH.

monotokpoint 22 August 2008 11:39 PM

enough of the knob jokes, show me your knobs

jonny_693 23 August 2008 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by SamUK (Post 8084670)
Im talking about a gear knob..the round little thing on top of the shaft...!

So can anyone here actally telll me if one exists for the subaru?

I know you are, and half a kilo of steel swaying around on the end of a 200mm shaft will not do them any good :Whatever_

djmisio85 23 August 2008 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 8084489)
Wouldn't a heavier gearstick put undue extra pressure on the gear syncro's? As per driving with your hand on the gearknob supposedly does the same?:wonder:

Although holding your hand constantly on the gear shift lever is supposedly bad for your transmission, I think its more of a case, that when you have your hand on the lever, it puts a bit of load on the transmission. You'll notice that when you drive, the lever moves around a little, but when your hand is on it, it won't move... The natural movement of the lever being resisted by your hand, I think is the reason for being detrimental to your tansmission...

With a heavier gear knob, the shift lever is still free to move...:thumb:

chocolate_o_brian 23 August 2008 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by djmisio85 (Post 8085924)
Although holding your hand constantly on the gear shift lever is supposedly bad for your transmission, I think its more of a case, that when you have your hand on the lever, it puts a bit of load on the transmission. You'll notice that when you drive, the lever moves around a little, but when your hand is on it, it won't move... The natural movement of the lever being resisted by your hand, I think is the reason for being detrimental to your tansmission...

With a heavier gear knob, the shift lever is still free to move...:thumb:

...But by having a heavier gear knob, it is thus not going to move as much (due to the extra weight causing more resistance), if your above thoery is correct:)

dantastic 24 August 2008 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 8085330)
I just need my wife to tell me where to find it........to me it's completely unmissable given what I think of it's size and weight :D :D

If she's anything like my wife your answer will be "IT'S ON THE SIDE" :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

Midlife...... 24 August 2008 07:44 PM

Google Image Result for http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/resources/images/list/TRUGKNOB.jpg

wiley 25 August 2008 12:18 AM

if you search isotta they do really nice interior parts, expensive though... only the best for my clio lol
wiley

SamUK 26 August 2008 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by wiley (Post 8085507)

Thanks for all the input everyone..

My knobs the lift up to go into reverse...Can i put a normal knob inits place? (that does not sound right...but you know what i mean) or does it need to be a lift up reverse type?

SamUK 26 August 2008 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by wiley (Post 8088842)
if you search isotta they do really nice interior parts, expensive though... only the best for my clio lol
wiley

ISOTTA

Bluee...

ISOTTA

Specials are for the lift up reverse Only..

djmisio85 27 August 2008 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 8086393)
...But by having a heavier gear knob, it is thus not going to move as much (due to the extra weight causing more resistance), if your above thoery is correct:)

Lol, yes, in theory, but you'd need to have a mighty heavy gearknob for it to have much effect in the long run ;)

Personally, I like a bit of weight in my gearknob, remember reading about someone who bought a new gearknob, and it was too light,giving a weird shift feeling...:freak3:

chocolate_o_brian 28 August 2008 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by djmisio85 (Post 8094576)
Lol, yes, in theory, but you'd need to have a mighty heavy gearknob for it to have much effect in the long run ;)

Depends if the extra weight or pressure you are putting on by resting your hand on the lighter knob is equivalent to the extra weight in a heavier gearknob.

If you only rest your hand on the knob now and again, this will cause less damage than permanently having the extra weight on from a heavier knob for 1000s of miles.

Thats my point.

djmisio85 28 August 2008 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 8094664)
Depends if the extra weight or pressure you are putting on by resting your hand on the lighter knob is equivalent to the extra weight in a heavier gearknob.

If you only rest your hand on the knob now and again, this will cause less damage than permanently having the extra weight on from a heavier knob for 1000s of miles.

Thats my point.

Lol, but my previous point was, that when holding the gearstick with your hand, usually the gearstick will not move because you are "holding it"... With the heavier gear knob, yes it is a heavier load on the gearstick compared to the oem knob, but the gearstick can still move around freely...

chocolate_o_brian 28 August 2008 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by djmisio85 (Post 8094745)
Lol, but my previous point was, that when holding the gearstick with your hand, usually the gearstick will not move because you are "holding it"... With the heavier gear knob, yes it is a heavier load on the gearstick compared to the oem knob, but the gearstick can still move around freely...

:lol1: And my original point was the heavier gear knob will indeed restrict this 'free' movement due to the extra force from the 'box needed to move it, thus simulating a similar scenario of having ones hand resting on the knob itself.

Shall we agree to disagree, before spoiling the thread?