ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Selling car - Advise please (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/707530-selling-car-advise-please.html)

stilover 21 August 2008 08:32 PM

Selling car - Advise please

As some of you on here know, I have my 05 STI PPP up for sale.

Just recieved a call tonight from a guy wanting to come see it next week.

My question is. Would you buy a car without test driving it first?

My problem is, I can only get covered 3rd party for anyone else to drive my car. If the tester crashes it, I'm fooked. My old man sold his then S4 years ago without allowing the guy to test drive it. That might have been just one guy out of 1000 who were happy not to test drive.

Obviously I plan to take him out in it. He's phoning back tomorrow to arrange date/time. Don't know whether to say "No test drive" or will that put him off?

Opinions please.

The Dogs B******s 21 August 2008 08:33 PM

I personally wouldn't buy a car for myself without driving it.

s70rjw 21 August 2008 08:36 PM

Tell him if he wants to test drive, he will have to prove he is insured to drive your vehicle fully comprehensively. Bob

M1cha3l84 21 August 2008 08:38 PM

Let him drive it mate, i let all my potential buyers drive my cars, but not for too long, for short time so they get an idea of how it drives etc, its a risk yes, but its quite essential for a sale, not in all cases, but most.

Cream 21 August 2008 09:10 PM

I bought my 05 WRX 'PPP' without test driving it, For the exact same reason, not being able to get insurance very easily.
But what I did do was go out in a test drive with him and had an RAC inspection done on it. Where the RAC guy had a long test drive and wrote a full report.
I figured that he would know if it felt wrong more than I would anyway.

Mikkel 21 August 2008 09:16 PM

Isn't it down to the buyer to sort insurance out for a test drive?

I would never let an uninsured driver go out in my car. I would be very selective as to who I took out too... too many time wasters wanting a joy ride either in the driver or passenger seat.

You could always say they can sit with you driving, get an RAC report and go to a main dealer to test drive a similar car to see how they feel generally.

Blueblaster 21 August 2008 09:35 PM

Let him drive down the motorway or somewhere quiet. He only needs to drive it long enough to satisfy himself it's a good 'un. You're not a dealer so aren't expected to provide full dealer services. Good luck...nice car.

renny 21 August 2008 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by s70rjw (Post 8083162)
Tell him if he wants to test drive, he will have to prove he is insured to drive your vehicle fully comprehensively. Bob

As he says.However 'quiet' the road anything can happen mate.

RyanSTI 21 August 2008 09:42 PM

just take him out in it, or qualify how interested he is to start with.

Aaron1978 21 August 2008 09:50 PM

take him to a big car park somewhere if there is one, the buyer should provide insurance cover. just tell him you've got no problem with him driving as long as he can prove he's insured. I would never buy a car without driving it from a private sale, but i did buy this one without test drive from scooby main dealer:)

Aaron:thumb:

BIGEMP 21 August 2008 11:07 PM

just sold my 03 wrx tonite took the guys out for a good drive,offered if he wanted to drive it but he said no as he had no insurance,i said you can have a quick go,but he declined,hewas happy the way it went and could see it drove without fault,good luck with selling

Midlife...... 21 August 2008 11:27 PM

Tricky.....I bought my Bugeye from Well Lane (remember them).....I had never even sat in an Impreza.

I just wanted one :D

Shaun

D.O.M 22 August 2008 12:07 AM

When I sold my 206gti couple years ago, I drove the car with the buyer as passenger, too much hassles if anything went wrong. Plus he could tell that the car drove well anyways. Didn't put him off buying it at all.