ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   £185 Road Tax: early JDM Bugeye WRX (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/707410-185-road-tax-early-jdm-bugeye-wrx.html)

Turbo2 21 August 2008 08:57 AM

£185 Road Tax: early JDM Bugeye WRX

I've just renewed my VED for the year as above. It's a late 2000 JDM Bugeye WRX, but was first registered in the UK in 2003, so I really didn't know what I was going to have to pay this year until the reminder appeared. There's no CO2 value on the V5. I guess it fits into the first line of the following categories and (unless Govt policy changes) will stay the same next year and only go up to £200 in 2010.

Road tax - Parker's

JohnD 21 August 2008 10:48 AM

Yes, my sons 55 plate EVO IX FQ320 although bought through official Mitsubishi dealer, has no CO2 value, and he pays £185! All a bit unfair really!

JohnD

dj219957 21 August 2008 10:52 PM

Yep, even though it was registered in the UK in 2003, dvla used the manufactured date to class the tax. It should say PLG on your V5.
All import scoobies MANUFACTURED before 2001 will classed under the old rules :)
My 93 wrx came in a few weeks ago and that has been classed as PLG under the old rules.

GC8 22 August 2008 01:11 AM

Thats what they should do but too many hard-of-thinking clerks are misapplying the 'registered' date. The rules imply that manufacture and registration are two contiguous events and they should not be appled to 10+ year old cars being registered here.

dj219957 22 August 2008 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 8083752)
Thats what they should do but too many hard-of-thinking clerks are misapplying the 'registered' date. The rules imply that manufacture and registration are two contiguous events and they should not be appled to 10+ year old cars being registered here.

Not sure what you mean. The v5 has space for first registration abroad (B)and first registration UK (B.1).
Do you mean some pre 2001 manufactured imports, registered in UK after 2001 are been taxed with the Co2 rules?

So long as the taxation class is PLG your laffin.

hux309 22 August 2008 10:07 PM

My 94 wrx was imported 13th march 2006 just before the esva became law, my v5 shows plg and dvla recognise the car from date of manufacture not the import date.

dj219957 22 August 2008 11:36 PM

dvla still recognise the car from date of manufacture. mine came in last month and is PLG. It all depends how you fill out the paper work ;)
my car did not have a sva either.

GC8 22 August 2008 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by dj219957 (Post 8085408)
Not sure what you mean. The v5 has space for first registration abroad (B)and first registration UK (B.1).
Do you mean some pre 2001 manufactured imports, registered in UK after 2001 are been taxed with the Co2 rules?

So long as the taxation class is PLG your laffin.

Now Im not sure what you mean. Yes, I think. Ive heard of 1994 cars, recently registered, paying the higher rates. I personally spoke to someone at Bruntingthorpe a couple of weekends ago who was paying the higher rate too.

Hux, youre confused, "ESVA became law" doesnt really mean anything Im afraid. ESVA has been 'law' for years several years, although it only became relevant when they closed the disabled loophole.....

Simon

GC8 22 August 2008 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by dj219957
...dvla still recognise the car from date of manufacture...

We are both in agreement about what should be, but I have to disagree with this. They should, but increasingly commonly they dont. I still have the very first Impreza that I imported in 2002, in my garage, unregistered. When I enquired about VED rates at Sheffield VRO recently I was told that itd be the higher rate and no amount of explaining what should be would make the clerk (and whoever she referred to) reconsider their mistake.

dj219957 23 August 2008 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 8085645)
We are both in agreement about what should be, but I have to disagree with this. They should, but increasingly commonly they dont. I still have the very first Impreza that I imported in 2002, in my garage, unregistered. When I enquired about VED rates at Sheffield VRO recently I was told that itd be the higher rate and no amount of explaining what should be would make the clerk (and whoever she referred to) reconsider their mistake.

Ok understand. Maybe you spoke to a duff clerk......I spoke to several DVLA clerks whilst mine was on the slow boat and they all knew it would be PLG rules. Like I said.. I think it can depend how you fill out the paper work.

GC8 23 August 2008 12:14 AM

Having imported many vehicles Im familiar with the paperwork: unfortunately it really depends on how the vehicle is entered and that isnt something that you have any control over.

Your registration was dealt with as it should have been, but many people arent so fortunate. Which VRO did you use?

dj219957 23 August 2008 12:18 AM

it was done at

DVLA Local Office - Beverley
Crosskill House
Mill Lane
Beverley
HU17 9JB