ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   draining fuel from a Mondeo..... (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/707037-draining-fuel-from-a-mondeo.html)

minty 19 August 2008 11:07 AM

draining fuel from a Mondeo.....

A mate of mine has just filled his car up which he has on a company car program and has been told that he needs to take it back to swap for his new vehicle tomorrow.

The only thing is that he has just filled the tank with diesel and so wants to get his £80 odd quid worth of fuel back for his next car.

Can this be done with a common rail diesel system, is there an easy way or will the next owner be a luck person :(

Cheers
Chris.

vindaloo 19 August 2008 12:04 PM

If he hasn't got the kit or an idea of what he's doing, my advice is don't do it.
Whilst diesel isn't as potentially dangerous as petrol, it is horrible oily, greasy stuff. If he spills any quantity of it, it'll be difficult or impossible to clean off.

I think I'd use a hand pump, with a tube stuffed into the tank. Have several 5 gallon plastic (fuel save) containers standing by.

Time and effort plus materials required to do a good job and the likelihood of getting covered in diesel means I'd pass and write off the fuel. Or go for a ""sunset" ride in it to use some of it up. He's getting a new company car, so he can't be that hard up.

J.

tommihayes 19 August 2008 04:42 PM

In the same way as Chuck Norris gives blood, with a pistol and a bucket. :)

Tom

LUCKO 19 August 2008 05:22 PM

£80?

Is He That Hard Up?

Does Your Mate Steal Soaps/Towels From Hotels Also? :lol1:

Pikey Britain

Ant 19 August 2008 05:26 PM

if it's a company car don't they give him a fuel card? And if it's a long term hire alot of hire companys give you a full tank and expect a full tank when giving it back.

IainCam 20 August 2008 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by LUCKO (Post 8078419)
£80?

Is He That Hard Up?

Does Your Mate Steal Soaps/Towels From Hotels Also? :lol1:

Pikey Britain

Hmmm... £80 is hardly FA IMO... would imagine though if it's a company car that the fuel is all covered by the company anyway though. Although I am wondering if he also has his own TDI that he's thinking of moving the fuel to :D

Would have thought that siphoning the fuel from any vehicle to another should be fairly simple, park the empty one beside the full one and start siphoning direct from one tank to the other. If it's to go into other small tanks then I'd have thought it's more hassle than it's worth unless you happen to have 12 x 5l tanks (or 3 or 4 20l jerry cans).

GavinE 20 August 2008 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by IainCam (Post 8081103)
Hmmm... £80 is hardly FA IMO... would imagine though if it's a company car that the fuel is all covered by the company anyway though. Although I am wondering if he also has his own TDI that he's thinking of moving the fuel to :D

Would have thought that siphoning the fuel from any vehicle to another should be fairly simple, park the empty one beside the full one and start siphoning direct from one tank to the other. If it's to go into other small tanks then I'd have thought it's more hassle than it's worth unless you happen to have 12 x 5l tanks (or 3 or 4 20l jerry cans).

Cars have anti-siphon tanks now-a-days, so that won't work.