ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Car Care (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/)
-   -   WHAT TO USE ON EXTERIOR TRIM (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/706766-what-to-use-on-exterior-trim.html)

robinsonsmotors 17 August 2008 09:36 PM

WHAT TO USE ON EXTERIOR TRIM

hi all, can someone please point me in the right direction for an exterior trim cleaner/protector. ive tried armoral, autosmart finish but results are always streaky and dont last long, esp if raining. what do you all use?
best regards, robbie

V4JDMSTi 17 August 2008 09:49 PM

303 aerospace protectant. nuff said ;)

Rich @ PB 18 August 2008 01:00 PM

If rain proofing is important to you, then Meguiars Al Season Dressing is good and worth considering too. It is solvent-based, whihc helps to give it greater purchase, and hence durability. Our favourite product for exterior trim use (if we feel the need to dress them - in general if trims look nice we don't dress them). :)

robinsonsmotors 18 August 2008 07:54 PM

excellent, will try that then, just hate the streaked stained look of them. living in the borders it always rains so if it could withstand the odd shower all the better. thanks for replies

scoobyverysoon 18 August 2008 10:16 PM

I find 303 rubish for external trims you get white lines when it rains

Megs ASD again you get runs but not as bad as 303 I still havent found a product that actually works

both products applyed to a clean surface neat and both buffed off afterwards, also tryed not buffing but still it streeks when it rains and looks a mess :(

RB5 Boyo 19 August 2008 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyverysoon (Post 8076933)

Hmm i agree....i coated the black part of my front grill with aerospace and left it to dry naturally, came back to find the grill is all white streaks and white marks which i cannot shift with nothing, any ideas why this hashappened?

However, used it on my engine bay and it came up very well and still looks good 2 months later, just pi$$ed off about my grill:mad:

Rich @ PB 22 August 2008 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyverysoon (Post 8076933)

Megs ASD again you get runs but not as bad as 303 I still havent found a product that actually works

both products applyed to a clean surface neat and both buffed off afterwards, also tryed not buffing but still it streeks when it rains and looks a mess :(

Strange, never seen streaking with ASD, yet we apply in the exactly the way as you outline? Confused! :confused:

Rich @ PB 22 August 2008 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by RB5 Boyo (Post 8078439)
Hmm i agree....i coated the black part of my front grill with aerospace and left it to dry naturally, came back to find the grill is all white streaks and white marks which i cannot shift with nothing, any ideas why this hashappened?

However, used it on my engine bay and it came up very well and still looks good 2 months later, just pi$$ed off about my grill:mad:

Hmm, have you tried P21S Total Auto Wash, agitating the affected area with a soft brush? I'd be surprised if any underlying staining has occurred; 303 is water-based after all. As you confirm, 303 is superb on engine bays, but no good for exterior use. :)