ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Those Pesky Orange Vents (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/70633-those-pesky-orange-vents.html)

GW2000 07 February 2002 12:12 PM

I've heard the orange paint will come off with white spirit. However can you paint over plastic once you have attacked it with white spirit??

Damage It Yourself

TBMeech 07 February 2002 12:16 PM

I've heard that the paint won't come off as it's actually moulded with Orange placcie, look at P1's for example, theirs are not orange until they get stone chipped, you could try getting a spare set, spray painting them with flexy paint then putting several layers of laquer on it?

carl 07 February 2002 12:23 PM

If you're really bothered about getting the paint off, I think Nitromoors does the trick. I just sprayed the paint over the top of the orange (four coats of paint, two of clear lacquer).

GW2000 07 February 2002 12:36 PM

Thanks for the quick responses :)

They are black underneath, so I thought it might be the quickest thing to do as my wagon is green (not another one :)) The P1 vents are spayed black over the orange, but it comes off after a while.

However will the white spirit damage the plastic??

MikesWagon 07 February 2002 12:43 PM

Could only suggest try it on the back of the vent and leave it. If it melts you didn't hear this from me.:D

Seriously though, the paint will be cured, so I don't think white spirit will do much anyway. Nitromors can be a bit savage, so I wouldn't fancy trying that, or if you do don't keave it on for long, and rinse it off thoroughly.

Mike.

ScoobyJawa 07 February 2002 12:45 PM

Nope - you won't damage the plastic ;)

Hi Ian :D

Paint stripper will take em back to black which is what Scott and I have on our DGM's like yours, they look great.

I just used some Halfords :eek: ;) Black bumper paint. Sanded down the orange bits and then put about 5 or 6 coats on them, still ok so far a year later ;) Didn't realise when I did them you can just use paint stripper ;) DOH!!!!

TBMeech 07 February 2002 12:45 PM

Could you not take it off carefully with some wet n dry paper? Take a while I know but better than melting the plastic surely!!

akshay67 07 February 2002 01:13 PM

How do you get the vents out of the holders so they can be worked on??

What does painting them silver look like? Wouldn't it match the lights? and maybe the STi log on fog lap covers when I get them?

Scott W 07 February 2002 01:18 PM

You can prize them out with a screwdriver - it takes no more than 5 seconds :D

I actually painted mine black with some special paint (I can't remember which now!) but it's worked a treat. Ian I might still have some left over if you want to borrow it. :confused:

ScoobyJawa 07 February 2002 02:32 PM

Screwdriver :eek:

Wouldn't let one anywhere near the paint!!! Just unscrew the indicator, take out and pop the little vent out from behind :D No chance of soing any damage then ;)

gregh 07 February 2002 05:13 PM

wrap a screwdriver in some cloth, it just pops out then.

I washed, lightly sanded then spray painted with some knock resistant tough paint.

http://gregh.co.uk/jpegs/frontns_scoob.JPG

GW2000 07 February 2002 06:36 PM

Thanks guys for the advice. Greg - thanks for the pic looks good, better than Jawa's attempt :):)

Anyone know the best paint colour code to get if I wanted them Metallic green later on?? I remember someone saying another manufacturer than Subaru was a very good match.

Thanks again

NBW 07 February 2002 06:45 PM

I used some Hammerite High Heat paint - Satin black, lasted since the summer, no stonechips.

As above, rubbed down with fine sandpaper and then wiped them with white spirit before painting.

Tim

ScoobyJawa 07 February 2002 07:47 PM

:p rollocks ;)

Matt Churchill 07 February 2002 08:37 PM

I used a screwdriver and a peice of card to get them out and Hammerite spray paint to cover up the orange. Didn't bither sanding them down, took a lot of coats to cover it all though.

pslewis 07 February 2002 08:40 PM

I agree that they look complete cr4p as orange!!! but when you get them out they turn BROWN!!!! its true - I painted mine black 2 years ago and its all chipped now.

Has anyone thought of any other colours which MAY work?? I have a DBM

Pete

topdog 07 February 2002 09:12 PM

I've got a DBM and used three coats of BMW montreal blue from Halfords and two coats of clear laquer, looks great and matches the origional colour perfectly :)

Dewi

Lunchie 07 February 2002 09:37 PM

So what does it look like if you just take them out and don't put them back in at all? Does it just look half finished? Is there any reason for having the silly little things in the first place?

Lunchie

pslewis 07 February 2002 09:51 PM

Good point!! why not leave them out?? nice lateral thinking!!

Would it cause any damage does anyone know?? are they for decoration?? or do they pass air to the brakes??

Pete

AndyC_772 07 February 2002 09:56 PM

I wouldn't just leave them out, it looks a bit of a mess.

I painted mine with Halfords' Rover Tahiti Blue Pearlescent (about 4 coats, with several of clear lacquer on top). It's a good match for DBM (on the MY00 - I believe earlier models may be slightly darker).

I wasn't keen on the idea of using paint stripper, so I just washed them and lightly sanded them to key the surface.

Andy.

justing 07 February 2002 10:19 PM

Ive just put clear indicators on and thinking what to do ,if i take them out what about mesh instead,or gold to match alloys mmm decisions
Ps anybody know how much they are to buy in case i srew up!

Kevin Greeley 07 February 2002 11:17 PM

I used a pair of long-nosed pliers and just pulled them out to spray.

Never got round to spraying them so I just left them out and after a while you don't even notice them missing.

GW2000 08 February 2002 02:41 PM

btt for those you might know a suitable paint for a DGM MY00. Thanks for everyone else comments, much appreciated.

MikesWagon 02 July 2002 12:16 PM

If you're painting them, I wouldn't bother trying to take the orange paint off. Just give them a good wash, maybe a light sanding to key them.

What colour's you car? I've heard of folk taking the paint off then just leaving them black. I started sanding the orange off, but got fed up.

TBMeech - if the P1's vents are blue, they'll just have sprayed some normal orange ones. The plastic is black AFAIK.

Mike.

[Edited by MikesWagon - 2/7/2002 12:19:52 PM]