ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Quick XBox360 question (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/705969-quick-xbox360-question.html)

spectrum48k 13 August 2008 12:09 PM

Quick XBox360 question

My brother-in-law has just landed a job overseas, so has offered me his Xbox360 for £60

It's never given him any bother (!) has an HDMI and less than 18 months old. I'm guessing warranty has expired, but for £60 who cares ?

Out of interest if it gets the dreaded RROIY* will MS repair it ? Will it let me create a new online account and give me a free trial to Xbox Live ? I'm not a big online gamer so don't want to pay a subscription if I can avoid it - but I would like access to XBLA simply to download the likes of Braid. Do I still have to pay a subscription simply to download the games ?

*Red Ring Of Iain Young

DJ Dunk 13 August 2008 12:13 PM

Yes, it should have 3 years warranty against the RROD.

Yes, you'll get a free Gold trial when you create a new account.

Yes, you can download from XBLA with a silver account.

HTH :)

bob269 13 August 2008 12:16 PM

Warrenty is 3yrs from date of purchase.

You can create a new account yes, as for the free trial not sure if it gives you one, but i may have a code somewhere with some of the games i've bought. You get a silver account for free which lets you download arcade stuff, the only difference is demos/videos etc are shown a week before on gold account holders than the silver.

You will need some points to buy braid. Cheapest place is currently tesco.

http://www.tesco.com/entertainment/product.aspx?R=844220&bci=4|Games

hmm, typed to slow :d

spectrum48k 13 August 2008 12:26 PM

great info - thanks all

looks like I'm joining the XBOX360 club! ;)

messiah 13 August 2008 12:33 PM

Create a new account and select a Silver membership - then it'll give you 30 days Gold account.

Subs can be bought off ebay for around £23.

With a silver account though, you'll have to wait a week or two to be able to DL content that's new, If you're Gold you can get it straight away, but if you're a bit tight with a silver account you usually have to wait...

Scooby-Doo 13 August 2008 01:26 PM

If it has HDMI then it has the newer chipset and board. Far less likely to fail.

messiah 13 August 2008 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo (Post 8066857)
If it has HDMI then it has the newer chipset and board. Far less likely to fail.

Not guaranteed.

Easiest way is to check the PSU and see if its 175w which means the newer Falcon chipset - if it's 203w then its the old chipset - like my HDMI equipped Elite...

Scooby-Doo 13 August 2008 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by messiah (Post 8066935)
Not guaranteed.

Easiest way is to check the PSU and see if its 175w which means the newer Falcon chipset - if it's 203w then its the old chipset - like my HDMI equipped Elite...

Agreed.

I thought it was only the Elites that possibly had the old chip but Arcade and Premiums with HDMI had the new one.

Neanderthal 13 August 2008 02:34 PM

If you don't want it I'll take it off his hands for £60! I could do with a spare one for the living room (mine's in the spare room with the pc).

pimmo2000 13 August 2008 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo (Post 8066857)

Mine is a launch day release and has the HDMI cable ?? slightly different connection to the unit but still :lol1:

Iain Young 13 August 2008 03:22 PM

Eh??? Launch day consoles did not have any form of HDMI output, (I should know - I've had 12 of them). You could get a component cable for it (with optical output for the sound), but that's not quite the same thing ;)...

mart360 13 August 2008 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by spectrum48k (Post 8066670)
My brother-in-law has just landed a job overseas, so has offered me his Xbox360 for £60

It's never given him any bother (!) has an HDMI and less than 18 months old. I'm guessing warranty has expired, but for £60 who cares ?

Out of interest if it gets the dreaded RROIY* will MS repair it ? Will it let me create a new online account and give me a free trial to Xbox Live ? I'm not a big online gamer so don't want to pay a subscription if I can avoid it - but I would like access to XBLA simply to download the likes of Braid. Do I still have to pay a subscription simply to download the games ?

*Red Ring Of Iain Young

You may be lucky and get the remainder of the 12 month warranty, the elite was only released last august (hdmi) so your in luck there, with regards to RROD then yes its a 3 year warranty for that fault only.

If you create a new account, then you can access Live at silver level, free downloads of demos (braid) etc. if you want a sample of gold, just buy a game that offers a free months subscription

mart

mart360 13 August 2008 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Iain Young (Post 8067049)
Eh??? Launch day consoles did not have any form of HDMI output, (I should know - I've had 12 of them). You could get a component cable for it (with optical output for the sound), but that's not quite the same thing ;)...

Seems you dont know the Xbox family tree then Ian :D:D:smug::smug: lol ;)

Launch day Elite consoles came with HDMI as standard.

thats what i think he,s referring to

Mart

Iain Young 13 August 2008 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by mart360 (Post 8067054)
Seems you dont know the Xbox family tree then Ian :D:D:smug::smug: lol ;)

Launch day Elite consoles came with HDMI as standard.

thats what i think he,s referring to

Mart

He didn't say launch day Elite though. I assumed he was talking about the original Premium :D :P