ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Essex Subaru Owners Club (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/)
-   -   Who was it that had the problem with wheel bearing/brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/704680-who-was-it-that-had-the-problem-with-wheel-bearing-brakes.html)

cookstar 06 August 2008 06:14 PM

Who was it that had the problem with wheel bearing/brakes

I remember some time ago someone having a problem with their brakes, which turned out it was caused by the wheel bearing.

Can anyone enlighten me.

Just need to know how it effected the brakes etc.

Cheers

Cookie :)

WRX_Dazza 06 August 2008 06:22 PM

Speccie had an issue a while back where the brake pedal would go to the floor, for some reason under certain braking. also spally had it, i think.

i didnt think you used the brakes much, Mark?? ;)

spally 06 August 2008 06:25 PM

yep had that issue. basically when i pushed the brake pedal the car kept going!!!!

it was found out to be the wheel bearing had gone.

Milamber 06 August 2008 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by WRX_Dazza (Post 8052892)

:lol:

cookstar 06 August 2008 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by spally (Post 8052902)
yep had that issue. basically when i pushed the brake pedal the car kept going!!!!

it was found out to be the wheel bearing had gone.

Was it on just the first push, or could you pump the pedal to get brakes up

cookstar 06 August 2008 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by WRX_Dazza (Post 8052892)
Speccie had an issue a while back where the brake pedal would go to the floor, for some reason under certain braking. also spally had it, i think.

:D

spally 06 August 2008 06:40 PM

yes mate first push. if i pumped them a couple of times they then worked.

Spec'c'57 06 August 2008 07:37 PM

Dont remind me about brake problems. :eek2: used lins scoob last friday to go collect her from the station (C2C train trouble so rayleigh) When i approach the A130 roundabout the pedal went to the floor :eek: On the second try they were there just. so slowed down enough to get round the roundabout. ;) picked lin up VERY gingerly made my way home (few moments to) half way home the fluid light comes on. :razz: Anyway when home i check the fluid and yep VERY low. Top back up and pump the pedal a few times stick my head underneath to find a puddle of brake fluid. Removed the passenger weel to find the braided brake line had split. :eek:

WRX_Dazza 06 August 2008 07:50 PM

blimey, well lucky there steve....

were they goodridge hoses??? never heard of one going before, but i guess everything is subject to failure at some point!!!

glad you and car are safe.

i dunno whats worse, crashing linns car, or telling her you've crashed it ;)

Spec'c'57 06 August 2008 08:11 PM

never noticed TBH dazza but if they are goodrich they have a lifetime warrenty. ;) have a set from AS performance on route and will double check when they are here. Yep the thought of saying to lin that i crashed her car was scary. :D:D

cookstar 06 August 2008 08:32 PM

Looks like I def have a wheel bearing prob then, have had brake wobble on high speed since I can remember, if you brake hard though it mostlyu goes, so warped disks are unlikely.

Trouble is I think you tend to need to change the whole hub when these get that bad, although there is none of the usual whinning noise you get with shot bearings

Spec'c'57 06 August 2008 08:35 PM

yep sounds like w/b. IF caught early enough they can be replaced without the need for a new hub. BUT most cases i know of have needed a new/replacement hub.

spally 06 August 2008 08:43 PM

sounds exactly the same problem as i had cookie.

cookstar 06 August 2008 09:25 PM

so neither of you had the whinning noise you get with other cars then?

Spec'c'57 06 August 2008 09:52 PM

:nono:

cookstar 06 August 2008 10:30 PM

thanks guys :thumb:

cookstar 22 August 2008 12:12 AM

Had the car up on a ramp yesterday and the guy checked the bearing, the nearside front is in his word "f**ked" there is loads of virtical movement you can even hear it knocking when you move the wheel.

Booked into API to have the whole hub changed. :)

Spec'c'57 22 August 2008 09:16 AM

W/B strikes again. :D:D

spally 22 August 2008 01:18 PM

at least you were saved a lot of agro... ;) :thumb:

cookstar 22 August 2008 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by spally (Post 8084403)
at least you were saved a lot of agro... ;) :thumb:

It's amazing what happens if you listen to peoples advice. ;)

Looking forward to getting this sorted now, it has been worrying me that I was going to get a huge bill and take ages to sort. :thumb:

spally 22 August 2008 09:01 PM

tell me about it!!!! lol

glad you got it sorted mate. :thumb:

Mocom Racing 22 August 2008 09:35 PM

Generally the rears rumble and require new hubs, the fronts tend to display a scraping noise, or pad knock off and only the very worst cases need new hubs.

cookstar 22 August 2008 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mocom Racing (Post 8085352)
Generally the rears rumble and require new hubs, the fronts tend to display a scraping noise, or pad knock off and only the very worst cases need new hubs.

There has been no scraping or dronig noise at all from this, if you saw the amount of movement there is in the bearing you would be shocked though.

Mocom Racing 22 August 2008 09:44 PM

Have you tried listening with the stereo off? ;)

cookstar 22 August 2008 09:59 PM

Yes even coasting with the engine off, my gearbox is louder than the stereo anyhows :D

Granby 22 August 2008 10:32 PM

Is this a common problem or does it depend on how you drive, ie track days etc :norty:

spally 22 August 2008 10:35 PM

mine was never tracked etc, but had exactly the same issue as cookie. No noises from mine either. Left front hub needed replacing.

Granby 22 August 2008 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by spally (Post 8085488)
mine was never tracked etc, but had exactly the same issue as cookie. No noises from mine either. Left front hub needed replacing.

Maybe it was the way you drove it :lol1:

spally 22 August 2008 10:50 PM

could have been that ;) lol

cookstar 22 August 2008 10:56 PM

Im reckoning that the Nearside front is the wheel that takes most of the punishment if you attack a roundabout too hard ( on a private road with roundabouts;) ) Which is why its the comon one to go.