ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Found my new bike light (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/704458-found-my-new-bike-light.html)

Kieran_Burns 05 August 2008 03:53 PM

Found my new bike light

Cateye - Hl-el610rc - Single Shot Plus

Read the stats of the thing: 15,000 Candle power and GOOD spread of light.

Unfortunately £90 for the bestie but it's got to be worth it when going down until roads and bridle paths.

Saw one in use in the shop and bloody hellfire it was bright! :eek:

ChrisB 05 August 2008 04:02 PM

Are you going for a light to be seen with (ie road riding / commute) or a light to see with (ie off-roading)?

Any lumens output rating?

Kieran_Burns 05 August 2008 04:10 PM

both :)

I have a smaller cheaper LED for the commute (to be seen) and the cat eye to see when cycling down the 4.5 mile stretch of unlit bridle path.

I'm not talking off-roading as such, enough to ensure I don't wallop a fox when cruising at 20ish down the bridleway (slight downhill so my lardy frame builds up a good bit of interia ;) )

Bonehead 05 August 2008 06:07 PM

I've got one of their front lights. The light itself is very good but the mounting isn't.
It wont get tight enough where it'll stay in place I tend to find it'll loosen up where a judder will start to re-aim the beam.
There are other Cat-eye brackets available which do tighten up enough.
See what it's like when you get it on the bike

Kieran_Burns 05 August 2008 06:50 PM

Thanks Bonehead - I've heard similar about the bracket... I'll let people know when it is on.

Just have to wait for the money now...

Kieran_Burns 06 August 2008 12:16 PM

and I may have sorted the bike as well - I can get the Bad Boy 700 2008 for £568 with a work discount!

I have to say that looking at all the ones available, this looks to be the best bet. I wonder if I can get Evans to price match???? hmmmm......

Oh, hang on.. the discount is for everything on the site! Yeehah! (wheelies.co.uk by the way)

dpb 06 August 2008 12:20 PM

90 notes for 2 watts - it better be good :eek:

J4CKO 06 August 2008 12:24 PM

I got mine from Wheelies, they were very very helpful when I had a couple of issues, cant fault the service, I spoke to a nice lady called Danny.

Would not hestiate to recommend them, bike is pretty good.

In the car today, the missus wont go to bed at night, sits there reading until 12:30, I was going to get up at 7 but was knackered so stayed in bed and came in the car, did Monday and Tuesday on it but the bottom of my back (Coccyx) is sore, in Aberdeen Thursday Friday so I will have done 28 miles on my bike, 14 in the car and about 800 on a Plane.

Going to try to do every day next week, need to justify some extra equipment to the missus, that triple head CatEye looks tempting but for £200 its a bit pricey.

BOB.T 06 August 2008 12:34 PM

I found that with loose light brackets...wrap a load of insulation tape round the bars first to make the diameter a bit bigger, should make the bracket hold tighter :)

ChrisB 06 August 2008 12:46 PM

I've used sections of cut up inner tube to pad out wobbly light clamps on handlebars.

IMHO, the high end LED / HID lights are for offroading. You'll dazzle car drivers if you use them on the road on full-power.

J4CKO 06 August 2008 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB (Post 8052151)
I've used sections of cut up inner tube to pad out wobbly light clamps on handlebars.

IMHO, the high end LED / HID lights are for offroading. You'll dazzle car drivers if you use them on the road on full-power.

Payback !

(Unless of course they stray onto your side)

Nothing like having your retinas fused to the back of your skull by an Xenon lit German panzer wagen when on a bike.

I had an X6 come very close yesterday, coundt wait to get past so made a dangerous maneuver onto the wrong side on a bend and narrowly missed me and the car comign the other way, so it looks like the X6 is the new X5.

ChrisB 06 August 2008 01:09 PM

Ah well, fair game then :D

Try one of these then...

Kieran_Burns 06 August 2008 01:18 PM

Oh Sweet Jesus and all the babies!

That's just bloody insane! :eek:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/cytoe1/SJaCBPgl...E/s800/023.JPG

The 610 I'm after comes to £72 (with discount) which to some may seem pricey but I really do need something decent for some of the stretches I do.

Looks like I have my shopping list sorted out then... question is: Do I wait until the end of the month or go nuts and stick on the card?

J4CKO 06 August 2008 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns (Post 8052231)
Oh Sweet Jesus and all the babies!

That's just bloody insane! :eek:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/cytoe1/SJaCBPgl...E/s800/023.JPG

I just need to see things, not through things :D

Kieran_Burns 06 August 2008 05:15 PM

I'd personally be concerned about being buzzed by aircraft from the nearby aerodrome if I had that thing on my bike.

hux309 06 August 2008 05:45 PM

That light is nuts. :D

Can't wait when people start playing with the new cree p7 emitters, they're basically 4 led's in one unit and kick out 740-900 lumens.

P7 LED Flashlight, bar mounted - Mtbr.com Forums

Which is also why i haven't bought a new front bike light, im hoping the Lumi will hold out for another winters riding.

I do have a blackburn mars rear light which are notorious for blinding drivers. :D

Blackburn Mars 3.0 Rear 7 LED - Lights - Rear - 11.99 GBP - Free P & P to UK & Ireland, Cheap International Rates. Next day delivery from Europes Largest Online Bikeshop.