ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   How do I remove the radio? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/704311-how-do-i-remove-the-radio.html)

Micky P 04 August 2008 07:22 PM

How do I remove the radio?

I have a MY99 sti import and i've got a new radio to fit into it.
I serched all of the ICE forum and googled it but i cannot find out how to remove the old one (standard). It is a double dinn size.

Do i need to remove any trim panals to get to any screws?

Desprate for any help as i am a scooby newbie!

Thanks Mike

Micky P 04 August 2008 07:59 PM

Anyone?

mickywrx 04 August 2008 08:09 PM

A bit impatient aren't you ;)

Yours is a newer car than mine so I don't know the specifics, but in the pic below,

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...gaitor0008.jpg

You need to remove the hard plastic gear/radio surround. Mine I pull the cup holder out to access the screws to remove that, yours I don't know.

Then you have to unscrew the cage holding the head unit etc etc. It's pretty straight forward once you get get the trim panel off, well on mine it is.

Sorry I can't be of more help, sure someone will be along soon enough with a later car to advise better.

Micky P 04 August 2008 10:58 PM

LOl yeah sorry, had been serching this and other forums to find out but was having no luck.

Thanks for your reply, yours scooby looks diffrent to mine. But i have managed to get the trim around the radio (and a/c controls) partly off but it seemslike i have to remove a part of the gearstick trim to get it fully off.

Thanks mickywrx
Mike

simb 2 05 August 2008 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Micky P (Post 8049386)
LOl yeah sorry, had been serching this and other forums to find out but was having no luck.

Thanks for your reply, yours scooby looks diffrent to mine. But i have managed to get the trim around the radio (and a/c controls) partly off but it seemslike i have to remove a part of the gearstick trim to get it fully off.

Thanks mickywrx
Mike

Lift the handbrake cover up (just pops up, no screws), your then be able to lift the gearstick surround up (again just pops up no screws), now your be able to get at the screws from the lower part of the centre trim.

Once the trim is off your be able to see 4 screws holding the stereo in place.

simb

Micky P 05 August 2008 05:20 PM

Thanks Simb,
Got the gear stick surround off now, the only two screws i can see look like they are holding other parts of the trim. Are these the ones i'm looking for?
Cheers
Mike

simb 2 05 August 2008 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Micky P (Post 8050690)
Thanks Simb,
Got the gear stick surround off now, the only two screws i can see look like they are holding other parts of the trim. Are these the ones i'm looking for?
Cheers
Mike

If they are the 2 screws exposed after removing the gearstick surround then yes, you can also pull the ashtray right out aswell for better viewing.

simb

Jamo 05 August 2008 06:01 PM

cant be reading all the above, but:

pull out the drink holder, remove the 2 screws you can see.

push the rubber gaitor down, you will see 2 more screws, unscrew those.

pull the surround backwards carefully.

you will see a cage and 4 screw, unscrew them there is a earth attached to the side remove that and pull the cage out.

Micky P 05 August 2008 07:38 PM

Hoorah! Success!
radio now removed thanks guys!

All i need now is the wiring adapter and i'm all set!

Micky P 05 August 2008 07:39 PM

Hoorah! Success!

simb 2 05 August 2008 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Micky P (Post 8051009)
Hoorah! Success!

:thumb:

mike h 05 August 2008 08:59 PM

You'll probably find that you can't put the cage in for your new radio. You'll have to screw the radio to the original subaru cage.

Micky P 05 August 2008 11:31 PM

Yeah the new radio has the same screw holes so the old scooby bracket will fit right on! :)
But as is my luck the screws holding the brackets to the old radio just won't undo. Soaking in WD40 for the night failing that it'll be drill time.
Never had so much trouble removing and fitting a radio, normaaly it 5mins getting the old one out a trip to halfords to get a wiring adapterand 5 mins fitting it all in. And then removoing it all again to plug in the RCA leads i forgot the first time around lol.