ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Strange find in my jdm wrx (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/703938-strange-find-in-my-jdm-wrx.html)

joshuaaaron 02 August 2008 06:16 PM

Strange find in my jdm wrx

hi all, not sure if anyone can help but recently purchased a jdm wrx my96. Noticed a day or so after collecting a strange looking object on the outside of the passenger footwell. Anyhow after a few days, curiosity has got the better of me, the object in question is about 6 or seven inches in length, and is covered in jap/chinese writing. It is attatched by a small clip out bracket. On inspection it has instructions on how to deploy, and appears to be some sort of flare ????

I know, got me puzzled too.

Also screen has 2 rectangles fastened on inside which are clear but appear to have copper wire running around their edge, not got a clue what they are. Beginning to think ive bought a suicide bombers car.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.........thanks

merlin24 02 August 2008 06:21 PM

Yep - its a Flare - they use it when broken down to warn approaching traffic.
Give it a go - its good but leaves quite a red residue.
Mick

joshuaaaron 02 August 2008 06:22 PM

cheers fella, was wracking me brains, id best hide it from the bin lids lol

NorthDownsScooby 04 August 2008 06:13 PM

Got one too:

http://www.coltham.co.uk/fozzy_251107%20(6).JPG

Thought the other day that it might not actually be legal to carry one in the UK, certainly not though certain tunnels !! (Blackwall)

Think I have the window sticker things you are referring to as well. They kind of look like they could have held a used-car salesman's type price tag or something. I've been assured that they're normal, but still not 100% certain what they are used for - might be for Japanese toll roads using a credit card reader (which I have under my steering wheel).

bob r 04 August 2008 11:00 PM

A mate has got one in his JDM car awell. Technically these are classed as a firearm, so beware incase the filth tug you. You have been warned.
Somehow, I think you will survive driving the car without one. lol

SqeekyMclean 05 August 2008 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by joshuaaaron (Post 8045131)
hi all, not sure if anyone can help but recently purchased a jdm wrx my96. Noticed a day or so after collecting a strange looking object on the outside of the passenger footwell. Anyhow after a few days, curiosity has got the better of me, the object in question is about 6 or seven inches in length, and is covered in jap/chinese writing. It is attatched by a small clip out bracket. On inspection it has instructions on how to deploy, and appears to be some sort of flare ????

I know, got me puzzled too.

Also screen has 2 rectangles fastened on inside which are clear but appear to have copper wire running around their edge, not got a clue what they are. Beginning to think ive bought a suicide bombers car.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.........thanks

something novel as that makes you crap your pants? :eek2:

wrx287 05 August 2008 12:13 AM

Only found out what it was myself last week. Is there a way of removing it without it going off?:thumb:

Jap Import 05 August 2008 10:08 AM

Just pull it out, it wont go off untill you want it to.

wiley 05 August 2008 10:10 AM

i need one too lol
wiley

Blueblaster 05 August 2008 10:15 AM

Without wishing to state the bleedin' obvious, think about where you are before setting it off. If you decide to go into the middle of nowhere so it's 'safe' then you could wll end up alerting the emergency services. Just a thought, ok?

Blueblaster 05 August 2008 10:16 AM

In fact, don't set it off - pyrotechnics made in China - recipe for disaster!!

Coffin Dodger 05 August 2008 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Blueblaster (Post 8049825)
In fact, don't set it off - pyrotechnics made in China - recipe for disaster!!

Boring :rolleyes:

MrLouKnee 05 August 2008 12:05 PM

as has only ready been pointed out, these are class 4 firearms, and without a licence, you risk getting a huge fine as a deterent to others

whilst i quite like flares for safety, i'd rather spend the potential fine money on a new gearbox or something similarly expensive

joshuaaaron 05 August 2008 01:55 PM

been informed that the square clear stickers with wire round edges are an am radio antenna, either way ive taken them off, they looked daft

Blueblaster 05 August 2008 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger (Post 8049925)
Boring :rolleyes:

Perhaps, but when it explodes in your face "boring" will look like a pretty good option.:eek:

joshuaaaron 05 August 2008 05:40 PM

ive taken flare out, boring seems better option than burned kids

N_Scooby 06 August 2008 09:38 AM

If they are classed as firearms why am I allowed them on my boat? I just popped into my local chandlers and bought an off-shore pack. It has 3 flares like that. If you live near the coast don't let one off or they'll launch a lifeboat!! Save it for 5th November!!

joshuaaaron 06 August 2008 09:45 PM

my kids are arguing about who sets it off on bonfire night, i need another one

phil_wrx 07 August 2008 11:21 AM

hahaha

DannyBoy007 07 August 2008 12:17 PM

I was under the impression, you only needed a firearms cert if it fired a projectile and was of the reloadable type. Single fire distress flares do not require a firearms licence. The Flares you bought from the local chandlers are proberly smoke and therefore don't need a fire arms certificate.

These flares are simply a light marker, you see them on the US crime programs all the time, burns red and they chuck it on the floor.

N_Scooby 07 August 2008 01:53 PM

The pack contains 3 red and 3 orange hand held smoke flares, and 3 little mini rockets like the one in the picture. I've never let one off yet but I understand they fire up like a rocket and very slowly desend with a very bright red light. I'm mainly worried that I may need a licence for them! If the boats out the water, I carry them home in the car!!

GC8 07 August 2008 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by bob r (Post 8049391)
A mate has got one in his JDM car awell. Technically these are classed as a firearm, so beware incase the filth tug you. You have been warned.
Somehow, I think you will survive driving the car without one. lol

What rubbish. When you strike the end against the cap they burn light a red roman candle. In the even of a break down they are lit and placed behind the car to warn oncoming traffic, in the same way that we use a red triangle.

overlord 07 August 2008 06:35 PM

lol i think mine lasted about 2 weeks i couldn't resist setting it off.
It just makes a small red flame

N_Scooby 08 August 2008 08:00 AM

Ahh so the ones in the car are like my hand held ones. I've never let one off - hope I never have to - it means I'm sinking!!

joshuaaaron 08 August 2008 04:51 PM

thats all you need, sinkage

stigaz 08 August 2008 08:20 PM

:lol1:. would be great if it did fire in the air, and then 5mins later the AA or jap equivalant came rushing to the rescue

djmisio85 09 August 2008 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by joshuaaaron (Post 8050241)
been informed that the square clear stickers with wire round edges are an am radio antenna, either way ive taken them off, they looked daft

Actually the clear rectangular stickers with wiring in them are for the navigation system. Many cars here in Japan have them, saves you having an extra antenna for the navigation system, and rather dicreet too :)

Useless in England I think, so no problem removing it :thumb:

jonny_693 09 August 2008 07:10 AM

Sounds like a good thing to let off in a carjackers face, maybe relocate it to the drivers footwell :D