ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Head Gasket replacement Questions (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/703468-head-gasket-replacement-questions.html)

kyah710 30 July 2008 11:52 PM

Head Gasket replacement Questions

Going to do the headgaskets on my 1993 RA in the next couple of weeks.

I am going to do this on a budget and want to only replace the parts that are necessary right now, or would be very hard to do once the engine is back in.

I have been advised to get the following:

ARP Head Bolts
Oil Cooler
Seals and Gaskets
Spark Plugs
Fuel Filter
Thermostat

A bit about the car - it is running 1.6bar boost at approx 350bhp. FMIC fitted with apprporiate fuel mods and mapping. Cambelt and idlers etc were replaced less than 200 miles ago so will be reused rather than replaced. (Head gasket started to go at Brands trackday last month and car has little road use at all)

Are the new head bolts essential?
Do I have to get the heads skiimed?
Do I need a new modine/oil cooler?

Have I missed anything and most importantly - is there a guide to engine removal?

Cheers!

finchyboy 30 July 2008 11:56 PM

I think it's good practise to give the heads a very light skim just to make sure you have a perfect surface for the gaskets to seal against.

eggy 31 July 2008 11:48 AM

hi mate, i have just done my head gaskets 97 stira.. i reused the head bolts, i was told by a reputable engine builder the bolts would be fine, and had no problems.
i did get the heads skimmed +tested= £100
didnt change oil thingy.

ps, i bought the car in RYDE ,FROM A GUY called john(landscape gardener) and brought it back to N.IRELAND.

HOPE THIS HELPS

Cret 31 July 2008 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by kyah710 (Post 8039861)
Have I missed anything and most importantly - is there a guide to engine removal?

Cheers!

I haven't quite finished refining this yet but it has most of the important info to get the job done. It's not as bad as it looks:

....Remove your engine - UK Legacy Forums

Regards
Jim

finchyboy 31 July 2008 02:14 PM

Do I need a new modine/oil cooler?

I would say if there was any chance of the cooler picking up any debris (ie in case of end bearing failure) i would change it and being as most subaru's ebgine rebuild's are due to this it is normally done as a mater of course.

If i was just doing the head gaskets and a top end freshen up i personally wouldn't bother.

kyah710 31 July 2008 04:32 PM

Cheers for the replies guys.

Any more advice would eb much appreciated. With regards to gaskets, what are best to go for in the way of uprated ones and where from, and what would the spark plug recommendations be given the car is now to be used for event and track days only?

Evo Bizz 31 July 2008 04:52 PM

Make sure you give all parts a good polish before you put the engine back in. :lol1:

overlord 31 July 2008 05:35 PM

LPP alert

:D

merlin24 31 July 2008 07:00 PM

No point in changing the modine unless the bottom end has failed and the debris has gone round the oil system.
Go for the OEM thick steel head gaskets as fitted to the Vers.3/4 STi's instead of the composite head gaskets and ARP head stud kit to give a good clamping pressure.
You might as well replace the camshaft oil seals while the head is off also.

Mick

damotypeR 31 July 2008 07:30 PM

do not reuse head bolts mate, as they will be stretched

stephen craig 31 July 2008 09:42 PM

I have a new pair of cometic mulilayer head gaskets which i was about to put on ebay. If you are interested in them I will sell them for £70 delivered. They

Pm if you want them.

Cheers Steve.

kyah710 31 July 2008 10:25 PM

Thanks Steve but have organised those already for roughly the same price today.

Now if anyone has the arp head studs going cheap.........

silent running 31 July 2008 11:14 PM

The head studs are not cheap unfortunately and if you're doing a basic rebuild, they're a bit OTT at £150 most places. The standard head bolts definitely ARE reusable. I was worried about this being used to heads with stretch bolts on other lumps, but a lot of Subaru engine builders have said they can be reused and there's no particular reason to replace them unless there's something wrong with them or you're going for big power.

finchyboy 31 July 2008 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by silent running (Post 8041789)
The head studs are not cheap unfortunately and if you're doing a basic rebuild, they're a bit OTT at £150 most places. The standard head bolts definitely ARE reusable. I was worried about this being used to heads with stretch bolts on other lumps, but a lot of Subaru engine builders have said they can be reused and there's no particular reason to replace them unless there's something wrong with them or you're going for big power.

I've heard the same that subaru head bolts are not of thr "stretch " kind and are perfectly o.k to re-use.

merlin24 31 July 2008 11:45 PM

[QUOTE=kyah710]

A bit about the car - it is running 1.6bar boost at approx 350bhp. FMIC fitted with apprporiate fuel mods and mapping. Cambelt and idlers etc were replaced less than 200 miles ago so will be reused rather than replaced. (Head gasket started to go at Brands trackday last month and car has little road use at all)

I would go for ARP head studs seeing what its used for.

Mick

millwrx 31 July 2008 11:47 PM

re-use headbolts
cometic headgaskets,1.3mm multi layer steel ones,
dont bother with the oil cooler,
i would re-grind the valves in,replace stem seals,cam seals,rocker cover gaskets etc,

finchyboy 01 August 2008 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by millwrx (Post 8041847)
re-use headbolts
i would re-grind the valves in,replace stem seals,cam seals,rocker cover gaskets etc,

sounds about right

kyah710 01 August 2008 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by millwrx (Post 8041847)
re-use headbolts

I think with the advice I have been given I will be doing the above. gaskets now on their way.

I am presently running around 350 and stock on an old wrx ra like mine is 240 so I am asking a lot of it. ARP studs will be used as everything else is uprated on the car pretty much and it gives me peace of mind if I wish to go any higher with power. :thumb:

bandit1216red 01 August 2008 04:21 PM

head studs

make sure you tighten them into the block with an allen key and not finger tight as per the instructions
after cleaning out the threads meticulously
why you ask??
cos mine loosened and caused a head gasket failure
regards Andy

silent running 02 August 2008 09:20 AM

Good call. I'll do the same when I fit my ARPs.

Fangoria 02 August 2008 09:38 AM

Glad you've chosen ARP bolts - very wise choice, though you may still suffer some gasket problems in the future..... Have recently changed my head gaskets after significant coolant loss probelms. Mine is running 1.9 bar in the upper 400's (Turbo limit)

Given the price of fuel these days is your car mapped with Methonal? (you should be at least 1 litre in 10 litres of Methonal) - very good for lowering temps and you can add plenty of advance with the correct mapping

I have Iridium spark plugs in mine - NGK racing 8's fowled too quickly and 7's are for people who dont have much power........

kyah710 02 August 2008 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Fangoria (Post 8044387)
Glad you've chosen ARP bolts - very wise choice, though you may still suffer some gasket problems in the future..... Have recently changed my head gaskets after significant coolant loss probelms. Mine is running 1.9 bar in the upper 400's (Turbo limit)

Given the price of fuel these days is your car mapped with Methonal? (you should be at least 1 litre in 10 litres of Methonal) - very good for lowering temps and you can add plenty of advance with the correct mapping

I have Iridium spark plugs in mine - NGK racing 8's fowled too quickly and 7's are for people who dont have much power........

The methanol idea sounds very interesting - we have fuel supply issues over here on the isle of wight and availability of 97 ron super unleaded can be unreliable - there is certainly no 99 ever over here.

How does the methanol work - just pop it in the tank at a ratio of 1:10?

Are there any down sides to using methanol and where can you get it from?

Any particular brand of spark plug you suggest for my car as it is now, or would iridium ones suffice for "normal" application at present and be suitable for methanol if I went down that route? Seems daft to buy spark plugs twice.