ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Car Care (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/)
-   -   stone chip advice needed (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/703444-stone-chip-advice-needed.html)

stigaz 30 July 2008 10:11 PM

stone chip advice needed

just finnished clay baring my car ,so spent a while staring at every inch of it, noticed a lot of random placed stone chips just through to a grey primer. but 2 or 3 through to the metal and rust visable ,

what kind of finnish should i expect to get from companies like chips away ,also what can be done for the 2 or 3 that have rust?

markollyh 30 July 2008 10:18 PM

Simple answer - see the Dr colorchip thread on page 2.

I have bought some and tried it - it is perfect for roadrash and very good on stone chips.

I think there may be a group buy going too.

stigaz 30 July 2008 10:52 PM

think i'll be giving that a go for the chips that are through to the primer, sounds good,

but what should i do where there is a small chip with rust in it?

Rich @ PB 31 July 2008 09:39 PM

You can use a Dremel tool to carefully grind off the rust (needs to be done very carefully), and then you can touch in the base of the chip with an anti-rust primer to seal the panel. Then proceed with either a standard stone chip repair adding pigment then lacquer, or else see the Dr Colorchip thread. :thumb:

stigaz 31 July 2008 10:34 PM

thanks for your advise, there is also a small spot on the roof ,if you imagine a small stone chip on glass but on the body, thats a crap description i'll take a pic tomorow

Neil.. 31 July 2008 10:44 PM

Sorry, but anything other than sanding down the bonnet/panel and repainting it, is a temporary bodge job...

Jonnys3 01 August 2008 02:17 PM

Heard all the rave reviews for drcolorchip (Dr. ColorChip fool-proof auto touch up paint kit for chip repair on your car- BMW,Porsche,Ford,Honda,Mercedes,Lexus,Toyota...mos t color codes) so I just bought the roadrash kit for my WR Blue (o2c) wagon. Cost me £50 (inc p&P) and has arrived from Florida within 5 days of ordering. Will be applying it when the weather is not so unpredictable and will post results on here. Everyone swears by it so we'll see.

markollyh 01 August 2008 08:50 PM

It really is great stuff mate.

My car har a fair amount of chips and scratches - now it looks absolutely mint.

I am really fussy too.

It even worked on the door handle surrounds which used to really annoy me.:luxhello:

Mike Murphy 03 August 2008 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jonnys3 (Post 8042725)
Heard all the rave reviews for drcolorchip (Dr. ColorChip fool-proof auto touch up paint kit for chip repair on your car- BMW,Porsche,Ford,Honda,Mercedes,Lexus,Toyota...mos t color codes) so I just bought the roadrash kit for my WR Blue (o2c) wagon. Cost me £50 (inc p&P) and has arrived from Florida within 5 days of ordering. Will be applying it when the weather is not so unpredictable and will post results on here. Everyone swears by it so we'll see.

Trust me mate, you'll be happy with the finish, just take your time, big chips need a couple of applications. I've been using it for 4 months now and have machine polished my car and it still looks mint!!

Mike