ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Outlook Express/Windows Mail (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/703107-outlook-express-windows-mail.html)

Phil Harrison 29 July 2008 10:43 AM

Outlook Express/Windows Mail

Remaining, as I do, unwilling to commit to Vista, I have my (default) XP OS on my HDD 0 and Vista on my HDD 1. I'd like to start moving to using Vista, but I cannot afford to have e-mails ending up in two different locations, for obvious reasons.

Is it possible to FORCE OE or Windows Mail to file e-mails other than in the default set by the OS, and if so are the file (.dbx) format compatible. Or alternatively a simple way to migrate the files [i]in both directions[\i]?

TIA
Phil

BlkKnight 29 July 2008 11:11 AM

erm,

if you use "proper outlook" can you simply install the same version on Both OS's and point both outlooks to the same .pst?

jowl 29 July 2008 11:39 AM

Or Thunderbird.

Which is free, MUCH better than OE and can be backed up and installed on your new system

Bravo2zero_sps 29 July 2008 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by BlkKnight (Post 8035953)
erm,

if you use "proper outlook" can you simply install the same version on Both OS's and point both outlooks to the same .pst?

Yep done that and worked fine.

pimmo2000 29 July 2008 03:50 PM

I think you're just being silly. Vista is perfectly fine!

Phil Harrison 29 July 2008 07:35 PM

Thanks Guys - always helpful replies from SN!

BlackKnight/Bravo2Zero---- I take it that .pst is a store location ("file-of-files"??) which can be made accessible by switching on the 'share' function in both the OSs?? Is that right? I've got a copy of Office 2007 awaiting installation on the Vista drive, so I can install it on the XP drive also.

Jowl: Looks good, too, thanks. Probably use that if I run into difficulties with Outlook.... I'm happy with Mozilla....

Pimmo: so long as it stops me doing things which, as the owner (and administrator) of the OS I both want, and feel I have the right, to do; and is unfriendly to legacy apps, then I feel it right to be VERY cautious until I'm well on top of it through actual experience. Meanwhile, my e-mails are 'mission-critical', and I ain't riskin' anything....

Thanks Guys

Phil

Bravo2zero_sps 29 July 2008 09:57 PM

The .pst file is a single file used by Outlook which contains your default mail folders plus any other folders you decide to create. So when you open up Outlook it uses this .pst file. If you set up Outlook in XP and configure your mail your new emails will then download into the .pst file. You can also import all your emails from the Outlook Express files.

Once you have it all set up and working in XP you can go into Vista and install Outlook. It will create a new .pst file initially. You need to go into the mail settings once it's done this and change the location of the .pst file from the new one it has just created to the one you set up in XP. You will then see all your emails just like you do when you are using XP.

No matter which OS you are in when you open up Outlook and get new emails, if they are using the same .pst file when you go into the other OS and open up Outlook you will see those new emails you received because it is the same file being used by both installations of Outlook.

Phil Harrison 31 July 2008 12:22 AM

Brilliant! Thanks, Bravo 2 Zero!

Phil