ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Which oil for top up?! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/703005-which-oil-for-top-up.html)

Brewski 28 July 2008 08:00 PM

Which oil for top up?!

After my earlier thread i checked my oil and noticed it could do with a top up!!

Any advice on which oil to use to top up with?

cheers again!
Ben

Brewski 30 July 2008 06:38 PM

Anyone?
Ta

prwatts 30 July 2008 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Brewski (Post 8039199)
Anyone?
Ta

Hi Ben,

You can top it up with any oil. Whatever anyone says to you, they are all miscible.If anyone says you cannot mix fully synthetic with semi or mineral oil, you can. If you want a second opinion ask Opie Oils - very helpful chaps. If you don't know what oil is in your car, get a liter of fully synthetic 10W40 Motul 300V or Silkolene equivalent. Then next time you do an oil change, I recommend Motul 300V 5W40. If your car is old and a bit worn - say over 60,000 miles, use a 10W50. The newer Scoobies have quite tight tolerances in the engines and a 5W40 is good. If times are tough or you are in a hurry, a fully synthetic Shell or Halfords oil is ok but second choice. Motul and Silkolene use proper esters as bases. Feel free to ask any more questions. Peter

ice643 31 July 2008 09:52 AM

millers is good oil.

prwatts 31 July 2008 10:21 AM

Can you say why you believe Millers is a good oil? I don't know anything about it. I know, for example, that Motorex is ok because KTM specify for their engines. I know about Shell because I used to work for them. I have used Motul and Silkolene for long enough and never had a problem so I guess they are ok and I have a oil pressure & temp gage in my car so I can see how they behave. Years ago I used to use Castrol GTX. When new it would maintain certain oil pressures in my car when hot and cold, but after a long drive (more than 400 miles) it would never achieve those pressures again, hot or cold. I concluded the oil had deteriorated somehow so I stopped using it. Castrol now belongs to BP so I assume they do their engineering properly. I am always interested in why folk say Red Line is a good oil or Valvoline is a bad oil. A curious thing. If a person says " I have raced for 3 years and always used Millers and find the wear in my engines and ash build-up is much improved from when I used to run XXX Oil" then that is different. If an oil complies with API SM then we can't really ask much more, I suppose. But having said that, I would NEVER buy an oil from China that says "complies to API or JASO". The Chinese take pride in their ability to counterfeit western stuff.

ice643 31 July 2008 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by prwatts (Post 8040231)
Can you say why you believe Millers is a good oil? I don't know anything about it. I know, for example, that Motorex is ok because KTM specify for their engines. I know about Shell because I used to work for them. I have used Motul and Silkolene for long enough and never had a problem so I guess they are ok and I have a oil pressure & temp gage in my car so I can see how they behave. Years ago I used to use Castrol GTX. When new it would maintain certain oil pressures in my car when hot and cold, but after a long drive (more than 400 miles) it would never achieve those pressures again, hot or cold. I concluded the oil had deteriorated somehow so I stopped using it. Castrol now belongs to BP so I assume they do their engineering properly. I am always interested in why folk say Red Line is a good oil or Valvoline is a bad oil. A curious thing. If a person says " I have raced for 3 years and always used Millers and find the wear in my engines and ash build-up is much improved from when I used to run XXX Oil" then that is different. If an oil complies with API SM then we can't really ask much more, I suppose. But having said that, I would NEVER buy an oil from China that says "complies to API or JASO". The Chinese take pride in their ability to counterfeit western stuff.

Its a good oil because most of the performance centres around UK use it, i have used it in my previous scooby and have had no problems with the engine.
Also its good for high temps ,and the best reason of all i can get it at trade price .