ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Knock link...adding a warning tone (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/702931-knock-link-adding-a-warning-tone.html)

trails 28 July 2008 01:23 PM

Knock link...adding a warning tone

as above, anyone added an audible warning device to their knocklink for when it lights the red LED?

Cheers,
Ian

JohnD 28 July 2008 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by trails (Post 8034152)
as above, anyone added an audible warning device to their knocklink for when it lights the red LED?

Cheers,
Ian

Blimey - it would need to be loud in a scoob? :) Hopefully, you'll never get the opportunity to hear it!

JohnD

bmfcrash 28 July 2008 08:59 PM

I fitted my LEDs into my column pod with tails on them, Anything other than the power light cant go un-noticed.

Mount it in the right place and you wont need an audiable alert, Red I would imagine when driving would be nothing short of blinding.

trails 28 July 2008 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by bmfcrash (Post 8035058)
I fitted my LEDs into my column pod with tails on them, Anything other than the power light cant go un-noticed.

Mount it in the right place and you wont need an audiable alert, Red I would imagine when driving would be nothing short of blinding.

Mine are fitted just inside the clocks cowl; which I can see but I want an audible alert so I can forget about keeping an eye on the LED's and look where I'm going...I run an 18g\550's\fmic\etc, etc on standard UK internals with boost peaking at 23\24psi. I'm on or very close to the limit of the engines strength and I do get knock at the top of the rev range which is when you are travelling quickest :thumb:

Aztec Performance Ltd 29 July 2008 12:24 PM

Knocklinks are dated now.

Have you seen the KS3 Knock Analyser? KS-3 Knock Analyser - Knock Detection System. Complete Kit - Knock Sensor Included.

Much more advanced and has built in audible alarm.

As used by many of the tuners on here.

Great piece of kit. :cool:

trails 29 July 2008 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by BOB'5 (Post 8036076)
Knocklinks are dated now.

Have you seen the KS3 Knock Analyser? KS-3 Knock Analyser - Knock Detection System. Complete Kit - Knock Sensor Included.

Much more advanced and has built in audible alarm.

As used by many of the tuners on here.

Great piece of kit. :cool:

alright Bob, I wondered how long it would be before you posted:p:D

it is a nice piece of kit but the knocklink does what I need it to do for now...and with a bit of fiddling I'm sure I can make it beep at me :thumb:

RA95 29 July 2008 02:14 PM

I did a degree in electronics in my youth and I seem to remember a project a long time ago where I wired a small piezo buzzer (low drain) in parallel with a LED so when the lamp came on the buzzer sounded. You could get a +V trigger from the LED pin to fire off a remote buzzer if required (would need some basic electronic circuit knowledge or a maplin-style ready made "buzz when I see +V" relay driven component and a soldering iron).

Sure it could be done very easily.

Unfortunately I'd need something a little louder in my scoob to hear it over the turbo :lol1:

trails 29 July 2008 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by RA95 (Post 8036311)
I did a degree in electronics in my youth and I seem to remember a project a long time ago where I wired a small piezo buzzer (low drain) in parallel with a LED so when the lamp came on the buzzer sounded. You could get a +V trigger from the LED pin to fire off a remote buzzer if required (would need some basic electronic circuit knowledge or a maplin-style ready made "buzz when I see +V" relay driven component and a soldering iron).

Sure it could be done very easily.

Unfortunately I'd need something a little louder in my scoob to hear it over the turbo :lol1:

that exactly what I had in mind...will probably go for the loudest buzzer\beeper I can find too :thumb:

Daz_WRX 29 July 2008 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by trails (Post 8036397)
that exactly what I had in mind...will probably go for the loudest buzzer\beeper I can find too :thumb:

Lol wire it to an air horn in the footwell :lol1:

All joking aside though it would have to be loud, how about a bigger LED? one that you couldnt miss?

trails 29 July 2008 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Daz_WRX (Post 8036487)
Lol wire it to an air horn in the footwell :lol1:

All joking aside though it would have to be loud, how about a bigger LED? one that you couldnt miss?

I just want something I don't have to look at tbh...more time looking where I'm going can't e a bad thing!!

Daz_WRX 29 July 2008 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by trails (Post 8036500)
I just want something I don't have to look at tbh...more time looking where I'm going can't e a bad thing!!

you dont look at it whilst driving? when it hits amber or red it cant really be missed :wonder:

trails 29 July 2008 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Daz_WRX (Post 8036511)
you dont look at it whilst driving? when it hits amber or red it cant really be missed :wonder:

it can be when you are pressing on, especially in second and third; the 18g eats through the gears and they are used up very quickly on WOT.

bmfcrash 29 July 2008 07:49 PM

When you say you have mounted the LEDs inside the clock cowl, does this mean they are facing down and you can see the side of the LEDs rather than front on?.
I view mine end on and no matter how fast you are pressing on there is no way in hell you could miss the amber or red.